• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Saving $ with Shaws cards

Started by PowerPenguin, September 11, 2008, 05:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

Here's a tip I just thought of:

If you've got spare Shaws cards, consider giving one of the extras to a Porc buddy. When you sign up for one, they give you one 'credit card' style card, plus two keychain tags with the same barcode. It's a win-win situation: One or two other Porcs get the grocery store discounts, and you get to rack up the extra points their purchases generate. These points can be redeemed for gasoline discounts at Irving stations. There are many other stores out there that have similar programs that could be capitalized on in this way.

dalebert

Are you talking about for people who don't drive so might want the discounts without bothering with points?

AntonLee

some people are very afraid of signing up for those (even though you could just fake name it as I have). . . maybe it could be a win win.  Unfortunately I only have the stupid keychain.

Pat McCotter

Pat McCotter

Quote from: AntonLee on September 11, 2008, 05:33 PM NHFT
some people are very afraid of signing up for those (even though you could just fake name it as I have). . . maybe it could be a win win.  Unfortunately I only have the stupid keychain.

Any time you use a credit/debit card with it your real name is attached to it.

AntonLee

sweet because I use cash 99% of the time.  Not sweet because even if they can't track me by ATM/Debit/Credit card. . . they're still getting me on video at Shaw's, through the tollbooth on the way home, and at the red light near my house.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: AntonLee on September 11, 2008, 07:03 PM NHFT
sweet because I use cash 99% of the time.  Not sweet because even if they can't track me by ATM/Debit/Credit card. . . they're still getting me on video at Shaw's, through the tollbooth on the way home, and at the red light near my house.

If you live in NH there are no red light cameras. There are some intersections that have what look like cameras but they are light sensors to tell when cars are waiting. This is for the demand lighting. Instead of putting inductive coils in the pavement they are using these.

There may be private property security cameras that catch some of the road but gov't in NH is not allowed to install and use their own.

error

Quote from: Pat McCotter on September 11, 2008, 06:55 PM NHFT
Quote from: AntonLee on September 11, 2008, 05:33 PM NHFT

Any time you use a credit/debit card with it your real name is attached to it.

Can't say for Shaw's but Stop & Shop seems to have no idea who I am, even when I use the card.

Russell Kanning

AntonLee

Quote from: Pat McCotter on September 11, 2008, 10:10 PM NHFT

If you live in NH there are no red light cameras. There are some intersections that have what look like cameras but they are light sensors to tell when cars are waiting. This is for the demand lighting. Instead of putting inductive coils in the pavement they are using these.

There may be private property security cameras that catch some of the road but gov't in NH is not allowed to install and use their own.

sorry I should have said that I'm still in Salisbury, MA. . .but there are cameras at the tollbooths.  I like the sensors.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: AntonLee on September 12, 2008, 05:11 AM NHFT
Quote from: Pat McCotter on September 11, 2008, 10:10 PM NHFT

sorry I should have said that I'm still in Salisbury, MA. . .but there are cameras at the tollbooths.  I like the sensors.

Oops! I forgot the exception for toll booth cameras.

Having had to move back to CT I find that I really miss the demand-traffic light system.

Lloyd Danforth

..and you haven't shot this camera, why?

One word:  'Spraypaint can on a stick'

OK! that's more than one word!

doobie

Do the math....  Hanaford/Stop and Shop and still usually much cheaper... at least for the things I buy.  I went to Shaws because it was convenient to buy some things and I ended up leaving because their prices on some items were almost double Hannaford (it was a variety of cheeses mainly).

dalebert

Not sweet because even if they can't track me by ATM/Debit/Credit card. . . they're still getting me on video at Shaw's, through the tollbooth on the way home, and at the red light near my house.

BIG difference though. The former can be tracked in an automated fashion, as in, retrieve all the transactions of John Doe per this court order, and with that they can track and develop patterns of the movement of an innocent citizen over a period of time. They can't exactly do that with the latter. The latter tends to be the other way around and more directly appropriate as in, there was a robbery at Shaw's and we caught it on film. Who did it? Even then, without a lot to go on, they only have a face; not a number attached to detailed records.

Don't watch Minority Report though. It'll quickly make you pessimistic about how intrusive the government is likely to get as technology improves.  :P

AntonLee

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 12, 2008, 05:36 AM NHFT

..and you haven't shot this camera, why?

One word:  'Spraypaint can on a stick'

OK! that's more than one word!

Sadly, I own no gun.  I was thinking about both ideas actually, the latter being preferable because of it's location and the fact that guns are illegal in MA. . . they represent a "safety concern for the public"  don't cha know   ::lloyds::