• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Moose season—drive with care!

Started by J’raxis 270145, September 19, 2008, 12:54 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

J’raxis 270145

Saw this article posted by CNHT Jane on the NHPorcs mailing list:—

QuoteMoose are on the move in NH
By DAN TUOHY
New Hampshire Union Leader
Thursday, Sep. 18, 2008

Moose are a big hit this time of year.

New Hampshire State Police had already reported a handful of moose collisions in the North Country coming into September.

And now comes "the rut." In the breeding season, which extends from mid-September through mid-October, bulls and cows travel more in hot pursuit of a mate.

The largest wild animal in North America is a popular tourist attraction and a major driver distraction. In the past five years, New Hampshire has averaged 230 collisions a year.

"It is important for people to be vigilant," said Liza Poinier, a spokeswoman for the state Fish and Game Department. "This time of year the moose are starting to get very active."

With adult moose weighing an average 1,000 pounds, the slogan "Brake for Moose: It could save your life" is no joke. Motorists statewide should be on the lookout, say the experts at the state Fish and Game Department.

Kristine Rines, a wildlife biologist who serves as Fish and Game's Moose Project Leader, advises motorists to follow some simple rules to avoid moose or to lessen the impact of a collision. They include driving no faster than 55 miles an hour, wearing a seat belt, scanning the sides of the road and slowing down or stopping if one comes upon a moose.

"While collisions can happen at any time of day, they occur most frequently at dusk and during the night," according to Fish and Game.

The moose herd is about 6,000 strong in New Hampshire

In the North Country in the last week of August, State Police Sgt. Todd Landry of Troop F reported four moose collisions and one motorist who struck a bear on Route 2 in Jefferson.

No injuries were reported in any of the five accidents, but at least three of the vehicles had to be towed from the scene.

Pat K

J’raxis 270145

That image file was broken. Probably doesn't like the HTTP referer.

And that's not helping you move to NH, is it? ;D

margomaps

I guess you only see a moose if you don't want to.  I've visited or lived in NH for years, always wanting to see a moose, and I've been unsuccessful so far.  I guess most of the moose are in the northern part of the state, and that's where I am least frequently.

Oh well.  I just hope that I end up seeing the moose...before he sees me!

doobie

If you hit a moose, call me I'll take it away for you.  I'll give you 50 lbs of meat once the butchering is done  ;)

KBCraig

David

Or call Sarah Palin. By the way, interspecies mating is forbiden by Gods law, so call Mrs, Palin to take care of both the bison and the moose.   ;)

KBCraig

Quote from: David on September 20, 2008, 08:46 PM NHFT
Or call Sarah Palin. By the way, interspecies mating is forbiden by Gods law, so call Mrs, Palin to take care of both the bison and the moose.   ;)

I thought maybe it was a statement about FSP versus FSW.  ;D

Lloyd Danforth

David

Quote from: KBCraig on September 21, 2008, 01:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: David on September 20, 2008, 08:46 PM NHFT

I thought maybe it was a statement about FSP versus FSW.  ;D

That was funny.   ;)

Friday

Quote from: margomaps on September 19, 2008, 08:37 AM NHFT
I guess you only see a moose if you don't want to.  I've visited or lived in NH for years, always wanting to see a moose, and I've been unsuccessful so far.  I guess most of the moose are in the northern part of the state, and that's where I am least frequently.
I'm seriously considering taking a leisurely drive up the Kangamangas Highway within the next few weeks, to maximize my chances of seeing one of these fabled creatures.  So far, my only exposure is the opening credits of "Northern Exposure".  :P

David

I have yet to see one in NH, but after porcfest 06, my dad and I saw one in Vermont just over the border on the way home.  Haven't seen one since.  Last year I heard one was on Court st. in Keene. 

doobie

Damn, I just sold my old car....I could have used it to hit a moose and kept the meat!  oh well...

KBCraig

Wow, talk about a big ouch! One of my coworkers hit a whitetail deer while riding his motorcycle (full dress Road King). That was back in May, and he's still off work and in rehab. I imagine a moose and a motorcycle would make for a very bad combination.

http://www.unionleader.com/rssarticle.aspx?articleId=1b06282b-c3c3-4c8f-a0b7-219268deb844

Couple injured in collision with moose

SHELBURNE – Two Nashua motorcyclists were injured Saturday when they hit a moose on Route 2.

Daniel and Carol Lavoie, both 48, were treated at the scene and then airlifted by helicopter to Maine Medical Center in Lewiston for further medical care.

The crash happened about 6 p.m. when the couple was traveling West on Route 2 near the Maine state line.

The crash is being investigated by New Hampshire State Police Trooper Jonathan Stephens of Troop F. Assisting at the scene were members of the Shelburne and Gorham police departments and the Coos County Sheriffs Department.

Medical personnel at the scene included Shelburne Fire Rescue, and Gorham fire and EMS departments.