• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Whizzinator gets pissed on by gov't.

Started by Puke, October 16, 2008, 03:14 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08289/919969-85.stm

Quote'Whizzinator' makers to plead guilty
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The owners of the company that makes the Whizzinator, a prosthetic penis used to mask illegal drug use, were charged yesterday in federal court with conspiracy to defraud the government and are expected to plead guilty.

Gerald Wills, the president of Puck Technology, based in Signal Hill, Calif., and Robert D. Catalano, the vice president, are charged in a 19-page criminal information of conspiracy for selling two different products that mask illegal substances in a user's urine.

The products, the Whizzinator and Number 1, are sold through the company's Web sites.

As part of the case, the government is moving for forfeiture of all of the company's assets, as well as its Internet domain names.

The charges were brought, at least in part, after undercover law enforcement officers ordered one of each product and had them shipped to the Western District of Pennsylvania.

According to the criminal informations, the company and its owners defrauded the government's Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, which is tasked with overseeing federal workplace drug testing programs.

The company conducted its business very much in public, including testimonials on its Web sites, including one from a truck driver who said he was able to beat quarterly drug tests by the Department of Transportation using its products.

Stanton D. Levenson, who represents the company, previously said that he didn't think the government could make a drug paraphernalia case against his client.

But yesterday, Mr. Levenson said he did research that showed his earlier opinion was wrong.

"We're convinced that the government's theory is correct, and the government has a case," he said. "Obviously, it's serious if somebody is faking drug tests who is then driving a tractor-trailer or a bus or flying an airplane."

There is a plea agreement, but Mr. Levenson said he could not discuss it.

Defrauding the gov't!? The gov't that denies freedom and steals money from all of us?
What a load of shit.

dalebert

Once again, government stifles innovation.  ::)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: dalebert on October 16, 2008, 03:18 PM NHFT

Innovation that wouldn't be necessary but for government laws to begin with.

dalebert

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on October 16, 2008, 03:40 PM NHFT

Watchoo talkin' bout? A fake penis that whizzes? I can think of endless applications! ...mostly party gags, but still.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: dalebert on October 16, 2008, 03:45 PM NHFT

Watchoo talkin' bout? A fake penis that whizzes? I can think of endless applications! ...mostly party gags, but still.

This is the point at which some poor moderator is going to have to come in and split all the subsequent posts off into the new TMI board, isn't it? ;D

error

And why can't we charge the government with defrauding the people?

slim

I disagree since private companies perform piss tests for employees the invention would still be necessary.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteI disagree since private companies perform piss tests for employees the invention would still be necessary.

Actually, I think that might be a grey area. :) I would probably consider that to be fraud. I'd never drug test, but if I did, I'd consider it a misrepresentation for the purpose of personal gain. If you're a user in a free market, there's no penalty for admitting it. If you care enough about your privacy to use fake piss tests, I think you're compromising principle for working there in the first place.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: slim on October 17, 2008, 08:47 AM NHFT

I disagree since private companies perform piss tests for employees the invention would still be necessary.

I highly doubt most private companies would have even used piss tests if the government didn't ban certain substances. 

slim

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on October 17, 2008, 01:28 PM NHFT

I highly doubt most private companies would have even used piss tests if the government didn't ban certain substances. 

After thinking about this I believe you are right. If the gubment did not have the laws against certain substances most of the companies would not test for the substances.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteAfter thinking about this I believe you are right. If the gubment did not have the laws against certain substances most of the companies would not test for the substances.

I've worked for companies that required post-accident drug tests. In most cases, it was when the use of machinery was involved. Companies have several reasons to want to ensure their employees are not using drugs while on the clock. I agree, the off-the-clock would be much less of an issue, but there are many valid reason (imo) why drug testing would still be in use in the free market. There are privacy issues, of course, but since it's all voluntary, you're welcome to find employment with other companies.

Puke

Regardless of laws I can guarantee you that aviation companies would still drug test.

slim

Quote from: Kevin Dean on October 17, 2008, 04:08 PM NHFT
QuoteAfter thinking about this I believe you are right. If the gubment did not have the laws against certain substances most of the companies would not test for the substances.

I've worked for companies that required post-accident drug tests. In most cases, it was when the use of machinery was involved. Companies have several reasons to want to ensure their employees are not using drugs while on the clock. I agree, the off-the-clock would be much less of an issue, but there are many valid reason (imo) why drug testing would still be in use in the free market. There are privacy issues, of course, but since it's all voluntary, you're welcome to find employment with other companies.

The problem with today's testing is that is does not test for intoxication. For example marijuana users can test positive weeks and possibly even months after they were intoxicated and LSD which is a much more intrusive test can be positive if you tried the drug once in your life. If the post accident tests were for intoxication I would be fine with them. I see all the testing as a way for the company to invade my life. If using some device to assist me to pass a drug test means I am committing fraud then oh well I guess I am.

If a company that I work for wants a SSN and I give them a fake number does that mean I was defrauding the company? I still did the work that was requested. The whole drug testing issue could be compared to a jewish person living in Nazi Germany and using fake documentation to live under the radar.

keith in RI

As part of the case, the government is moving for forfeiture of all of the company's assets, as well as its Internet domain names.

so i imagine this means customer records as well?? looks like the governments "list" just got a little bit longer......could they track down each and every customer and prosecute them? if i was the guy that gave the testimonial on their website i would have already switched careers...... :)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on October 17, 2008, 01:28 PM NHFT
Quote from: slim on October 17, 2008, 08:47 AM NHFT

Exactly. Specifically, having employees breaking the law on the job can become a liability issue, plus it's the government propaganda that convinces companies that drug-using employees are "dangerous."