• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Police to hand out flip-flops to drunken women in high heels

Started by coffeeseven, November 28, 2008, 01:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

coffeeseven

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/global/2008/11/28/noindex/police.xml&source=EMC-exp_28112008

The women are being offered the chance to swap their high heels for flat shoes to protect themselves from injury.

The idea is the latest plan from police in Torbay, Devon, a resort which is popular for stag and hen nights.

They have already launched schemes which has seen officers hand out condoms and sexual health advice and order drunken men who urinate in the street to mop up their own mess.
advertisement

Now Inspector Adrian Leisk plans to hand out flip-flops with the "Know Your Code" alcohol message printed on them.

Insp Leisk said: "Sometimes people get drunk and you see them carrying footwear which is inappropriate.

"The emphasis is on providing replacement footwear for people to get home in, should they find their high heels uncomfortable, inappropriate or soiled."

He added: "We have consulted with people who work week-in, week-out on our night time patrol areas, including street pastors, the Safe Bus, and community wardens.

"This is just one of a number of measures designed to keep people safe."

The footwear will be paid for by £30,000 worth of funding secured from the Home Office by Safer Communities Torbay.

One woman from the town, Danielle Bolton, 19, said: "I think it's a great idea and I would wear them 100 per cent.

"My heels hurt me at the end of the night, so I tend to take them off.

"It's a hell of a lot easier to talk with flip-flops than high heels."

Another, Leanne Thomas, 21, said: "I go out clubbing at the harbourside most weekends and I usually walk home bare footed because my heels hurt."

William

"The footwear will be paid for by £30,000 worth of funding secured from the Home Office by Safer Communities Torbay."

Is there no end to the ignorance?

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: William on November 28, 2008, 02:14 PM NHFT
"The footwear will be paid for by £30,000 worth of funding secured from the Home Office by Safer Communities Torbay."

And why do women wear high heels, anyway?

K. Darien Freeheart

So men will buy them drinks.

William

Quote from: Kevin Dean on November 28, 2008, 02:44 PM NHFT

So men will buy them drinks.

Short skirts will suffice.

KBCraig

Quote from: William on November 28, 2008, 02:14 PM NHFT

Dayummm, that's a lot of flip-flops!  :o

Well, maybe not at gooberment prices.

SpeedPhreak

i think its a good idea - just not at public expense (the cost of the shoes & the officers pay)

i like the idea of making people mop up their piss too... no ticket, no fine, no court date - just be responsible for your mess.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: SpeedPhreak on November 28, 2008, 08:38 PM NHFT
i think its a good idea - just not at public expense (the cost of the shoes & the officers pay)

It's silly, and a waste of the taxpayers' money, but it's better than what I'd expect to see in the U.S.. Here, such a "safety" campaign would no doubt take the form of beating people into submission by handing out stacks of public intoxication or disorderly conduct tickets, instead of shoes.

SpeedPhreak

I did say not at the publics expense.  ie private organization doing the good deed.

I have seen more than 1 sprained ankle, ripped skirt, & ruined white outfit from a drunk woman tripping on herself wearing high heels... yes... it could all be prevented by not wearing the heels, by not getting drunk or allowing them to get drunk... but that would all be against the "do as you please as long as it doesn't hurt someone else" value.

I personally would never donate money or waste time doing it... if someone else did though I would not ridicule them... I may even thank them.