• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Avoided Speeding Ticket

Started by sandm000, December 05, 2008, 03:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

sandm000

This morning I was driving down Candia Rd in Manchester when an MPD cruiser flipped on the blue and pulled a U-ey to get behind me.
I pulled over slowly. I noticed two cops in the car. The one on the right side only comes to the rear bumper. I have the window down, my license and registration in hand. "You are being detained today for doing 45 in a 30," he says. "Why were you speeding?"
"I wanted to get to work on time." I replied.
"Where do you work?" He asked.
"Hudson"
I handed him the License and Registration.
He notes the discrepancy between the addresses on them and asks 'which is my correct address'.
I tell him, "The one on the back of the license is my correct address, I've updated with the DMV and they told me I didn't need a new license, just to write the address on the back."
He flips over the plastic likeness of me and sees that 2/3 of the inked address is missing.
"It must have rubbed off." I state.
He pushes his leather-clad thumb over the house number, the writing doesn't smudge.
He goes back to the police car, a few minutes pass. He comes back with just my license and registration. "I see you've had some speeding tickets...you're probably tired of writing checks to the state of New Hampshire." 'I'm going to let you go.' "We have speed limits for a reason, make sure you follow them." At this point he gives me a very meaningful look, what meaning I'm not sure, but intense nonetheless. He continues, "Do you have a firearm on you today?"
"No."
"You can go, but were not going to leave until after you pull out."
-------

I didn't expect to have any trouble, I didn't call 411, or start recording with my phone...
as I was speeding when he pulled me over, I think I was doing more like 35 than 45, but it didn't get to the point where I could look at his radar gun.
So I'm very confused about the whole incident.  Is MPD very forgiving towards these things? Because I've gotten at least 1 ticket in the 2 yrs I've been here from them.
Is this officer sympathetic to our cause (or maybe just my cause, I have an antistate sentiment vanity plate and 1 FSP bumpersticker), or just a nice guy. (I'm not going to say his name here, in case it is the former, and his bosses won't like that, also I'm getting kind of fuzzy on it already, was it xx or yy and did his first name start with Q or O)
And then the question about the firearm, if I had been carrying is it required of me to tell the officer at the start of the stop when I'm pulled over? (Was it a really crafty trap, where had I said "Yes" I would have been guilty of not telling the officer and then getting the speeding ticket as well, the double whammy with option to arrest)
Finally, why the speech about him leaving after me, isn't it common practice that this is the case?

Thoughts or comments welcome.

Yes I am a cowardly cooperator, but I'm not currently in a position to not cooperate.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do" "You would not abide by a law that the majority felt was necessary?" "Tell me what law, dear lady, and I will tell you whether I will obey it." - Bernardo de la Paz The Moon is a Harsh Mistress RA Heinlein

J’raxis 270145

A lot of cops seem to be perplexed by my license: I have a mailing address on the front, and since I checked off the box on the DMV form to omit my legal address, that address isn't printed in the "legal address:" field on the back. More than once they've thought the mailing address was a residential one. Once I was asked why I have two addresses on record at once.

Add to this a recent change of residence and their database records on me are probably really screwed up.

Everyone should establish a mailing address at a UPS Store or similar PMB provider (such mailing addresses look like apartment numbers instead of PO boxes), then opt to omit the legal address from your license. It's not any sort of fraud on your part if the fools themselves just misinterpret the single address on the card. >:D

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: sandm000 on December 05, 2008, 03:04 PM NHFT
"Why were you speeding?"

This cracked me up. You got away with no ticket, bullet or confiscation, so I can't criticise. There's no one right way to respond, and no guarantee how the cop is going to respond no matter what you do. Anyway the first idea that came to me about how I might respond:

"Hmm. If I answer that question, would that be construed as self-incrimination?"

Amos Keag

ByronB

Pushing the pedal further down usually does wonders for keeping my record clear.  :icon_pirat: