• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Addison to Death!

Started by Hubbard, December 18, 2008, 04:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Barskey

Quote from: Hubbard on December 20, 2008, 04:01 PM NHFT
Addison was a thug. It wasn't his upbringing. I was raised in the same situation. Hang the son of a bitch.
(my emphasis)

And you're pro-violence, too. See the pattern?

Mike Barskey

Dale, your responses were brilliant.

Giggan

Clearly there's institutionalized 'copism' if they and judges are of an elite class for which killing a criminal is allowed, yet slowly torturing and murdering children can at best get you life, or the equivalent of (a millon years, but no death).

Quote from: Mike Barskey on December 21, 2008, 09:19 PM NHFT
Dale, your responses were brilliant.

2nd'd.

Asking one's perspective is beyond hypothetical. It's similar to 'what would you do if attacked'...nobody really knows, and honestly it doesn't concern anyone but those who are attacked. This is armchair moralism when third parties spew off utopian ideals without reason except, 'eye for an eye'.

Again, I'm not opposed to his death as much as I'm opposed to the reasons for which he's being killed. Just because 'goals' match does not make the bureaucrats my friends and does not mean I'm willing to support their actions.

EthanLeeVita

Well, I agree with Dale with the addition that it is a tricky situation that is mired in confusion because of the existence of government.

Anyway, I just wanted to reply to this:

QuoteFiring squad? I think Utah executed somebody (Gary Gilmore?) that way several years ago. When they use that method nobody has to take the blame for being the executioner, because you never know whose bullet actually killed the condemned. You can then claim you were "just doing your job". 

That is the theory. However, there have been numerous cases where there was no empty chamber.

In addition, being able to claim you were just doing your job is something we should be striving against. The idea that someone is just doing their job allows one to shirk their responsibility for their actions. I believe Dale demonstrated this well in one of his comics.

Fluff and Stuff

Hubbard

Quote from: Mike Barskey on December 21, 2008, 09:19 PM NHFT
Quote from: Hubbard on December 20, 2008, 04:01 PM NHFT
Addison was a thug. It wasn't his upbringing. I was raised in the same situation. Hang the son of a bitch.
(my emphasis)

And you're pro-violence, too. See the pattern?

I'm not pro-violence. I'm pro-punishment for assholes. I avoid violence as much as possible. Which explains the last time I had a fight it was in high school.

AntonLee

I know a lot of assholes.  I'd rather you not support hanging them for being assholes. 

EthanLeeVita

QuoteI'm pro-punishment for assholes.

*looks nervously around* I like mine the way it is!

AntonLee

Giggan

Firing squads are rare these days. Gilmore's infamous for being the first person executed after SCOTUS lifted the ban. There's maybe 3 or 4 states that have it as an option. Senior year of high school ('06) I did a project on the death penalty and there was a state (maybe Arizona or NM? I'm seeing it somewhere southwestern) that had a firing squad and another method, and allowed the offender to opt for either.

Hubbard

Quote from: AntonLee on December 22, 2008, 08:11 AM NHFT
I know a lot of assholes.  I'd rather you not support hanging them for being assholes. 

I didn't say hang EVERY asshole. But if the asshole in question kills someone without just casue, hang them. Make the punishment appropriate. This prison is for rehab is a load of BS. It doesn't rehab anyone.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Hubbard on December 22, 2008, 04:01 PM NHFT
Quote from: AntonLee on December 22, 2008, 08:11 AM NHFT

I didn't say hang EVERY asshole. But if the asshole in question kills someone without just casue, hang them. Make the punishment appropriate. This prison is for rehab is a load of BS. It doesn't rehab anyone.

And "punishment" does what? (Other than satisfy some base emotion...)

dalebert

I think imprisoning someone (humanely) is probably justified in some cases but only if it's absolutely necessary to protect people. None of us has the moral authority to choose a punishment and punishment serves no noble purpose. Your lust for vengeance is a personal problem that you need to deal with on your own. It's a sickness inflicted on you by a violent culture.

AntonLee

sorry, cops get no sympathy from me.  Cops aren't minding their own business 95% of the time.  You want to lump assholes together, fine. . I'll lump the cops together too.

String them up together, right beside each other?  No thanks.

BillKauffman

Quote from: Free libertarian on December 19, 2008, 09:37 PM NHFT
Let's say for arguments sake there were no government. ln that event wouldn't the clan, the tribe or whatever group existed want at a minimum to make a murderer a banished outcast?

Prior to the state there was relative material egalitarianism in tribal society. What would be the point of aggressing against others?