• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Weird Christmas Gifts

Started by Friday, December 27, 2008, 12:58 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

I got the weirdest Christmas gifts this year.  Whenever I select a gift for someone, I always try to think of what the recipient might like, not necessarily what *I* like.  But this year, this is what I received from my family:

father - amazon gift certificate (same thing he gave me for my birthday); oh well, at least I can definitely use it on things I like
brother - nothing
sister-in-law - a book full of photos of her kids; granted, they are my niece and nephew, and I'm happy to have new photos of them, but still... 
mother - this was the weirdest of all.  First, I got a box from her from amazon, and when I first opened it, I honestly thought one of my family members had made a mistake and sent me *her* gift by mistake.  The box contained a book which, IIRC, she requested for Christmas last year, and the first season of *her* favorite TV show on DVD...  a show I have never watched.  Or expressed the slightest interest in.

Then there was the mystery box from "Wisconsin Cheese Company".  Weird, but what the hell, I love cheese!  But when I opened it,  it contained... summer sausage.  With dipping sauce.  And absolutely no indication as to who had sent it.  It's the kind of thing you'd get for a Secret Santa exchange, or when your socially obligated to give a gift to someone you know absolutely nothing about.  I thought maybe someone on this forum was playing a joke on me, what with my multiple missing-fatty-meat incidents. 

Turns out... it was from my mother.

I'd better try harder to be good next year.  :(

Fluff and Stuff

Your mom gave you a big sausage for Christmas?  This is weird.  You should have a party where people dip the sausage in your sauce :)

Pat K

I am sorry for LOL at this post.

Can anyone say this 10 times fast?
"multiple missing-fatty-meat incidents."

EthanLeeVita

Was your mom hinting at what you should get her with the book and DVD? lol

Roycerson

Quote from: EthanLeeVita on December 27, 2008, 02:10 PM NHFT
Was your mom hinting at what you should get her with the book and DVD? lol

She's likely read the book since last Christmas and both were things that she enjoyed and wanted to share.  There's nothing wrong w/ sharing things that have made you happy in the anticipation that it will also make someone else happy.  Why would she give something that she thinks sucks.

None of those gifts seem weird to me. 

TackleTheWorld

I'm so sorry you were ignored in one way or another by your family, Friday.

I could be wrong but I think if your mom knows nothing of what you like, doesn't listen when you state your opinions, and assumes you are just an unthinking photocopy of herself, there is no way she even knows you, much less loves you. 
Worst possible case explanation: she's making fun of you.
Best possible explanation: I could be projecting my guilt onto your mom because I persecuted (and prosecuted) you on your birthday. :duh:

doobie

I got two cards and $500.  That's all.

dalebert

Quote from: Pat K on December 27, 2008, 01:07 PM NHFT

Pat, I thought of you when my mom recently told me that my 95 year-old grandmother, who is still going strong and shows now signs of slowing down in the near future, still fixes herself bacon every morning.

Pat K

Quote from: dalebert on December 28, 2008, 07:56 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on December 27, 2008, 01:07 PM NHFT

Pat, I thought of you when my mom recently told me that my 95 year-old grandmother, who is still going strong and shows now signs of slowing down in the near future, still fixes herself bacon every morning.

Go Grandma!

sillygirl

Here's a pretty strange one! How do you think this kid feels?