• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

We made the paper, again.

Started by jcpliberty, January 18, 2005, 02:22 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jcpliberty

This page has been printed from the following URL:
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/hampton/01182005/news/59759.htm

1-18-2005

Group raises money to help defend women

By Patrick Cronin
pcronin@seacoastonline.com

HAMPTON - A special-interest group says it is now raising funds for the legal defense of two Hampton women who are being sued by the town?s building inspector for allegedly ignoring zoning bylaws and constructing an illegal garage apartment next to their Winnacunnet Road home.

Jim Perry, a spokesman for the Liberty Tree Society, said it is doing what it can to help out Barbara Burbank and her 96-year-old aunt, Murtle Woodward.

"I don?t know what we have raised so far," said Perry. "I can tell you that we have distributed more than 2,000 flyers."

Burbank and Woodward are being sued by Building Inspector Kevin Schultz.

On Dec. 13, Schultz filed legal action against Burbank and Woodward, asking a judge to order the women to demolish everything not approved by the town, prohibit further construction on their "illegal" apartment and pay the town?s costs and attorney?s fees.

It also asks that the town be reimbursed for the time the Building Department spent on the case and the women be fined $275 per day for every day since Feb. 27, 2003, when they allegedly violated their permit.

Perry, who learned about the women from an article in the Portsmouth Herald, said his group wants to "take back rights and freedoms being trampled on."

In addition to raising funds, the organization has already announced plans to hold an anti-zoning rally in support of the women outside Rockingham Superior Court on Jan. 25, the day the case is scheduled to go to court.

"We are fighting for the protection of our civil liberties that are being threatened," said Perry.

At the rally, people will also be asked to sign a petition to nullify all zoning bylaws in the state.

"Zoning laws are an infringement on the rights of property owners," said Perry. "People shouldn?t be told what they can or can?t do on their own property.

While the town says Burbank built an illegal apartment, she disagrees.

She says the Zoning Board approved a variance to construct an addition to her garage with "a large recreation room with smaller loft and bathroom above."

Burbank said the only thing that changed in the plans was they moved furniture into the rooms, including a bed.

Her daughter, Kim, was sleeping there at night because she is allergic to her aunt?s cats.

While she had a sink and a stove inside the room, which would make it an apartment, it wasn?t hooked up, Burbank says.

If the women lose the suit, they said they will be forced to pay the town more than $185,000.

Perry said the situation is sad.

"They are breaking up a family," said Perry. "The Zoning Board can give a variance to a multi-condo or townhouse project in a single residential zone, but they can?t give a family a variance so they can stay in the same family lot."

This page has been printed from the following URL:
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/hampton/01182005/news/59759.htm

jcpliberty

I never said we distributed 2000, I said I distributed about 1000 flyers to volunteers to hand out. Otherwise, everything I said in this article is a directo quote exactly the way I said it.

JP

Russell Kanning

rothamerica