• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How 2 build a Rotating Canned Food Shelf

Started by slim, March 19, 2009, 03:06 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Moebius Tripp

Looks kinda like a "Mormon Wall", couldn't find a link for same, but basically, you build can-sized partitions in a wall with openings near the ceiling, and openings at about waist level.  Drop new cans in the top, eat from the waist-high slots.

Puke

That's pretty damn cool.
I wish I had the room to make such a thing.

Maybe I could make a smaller version.

AntonLee

a really neat idea that I want to build. . . on that site I also found instructions on how to make a bookcase system that could hide a doorway to a room you want secret

Lloyd Danforth

Interesting.  A bit of a Bear on 'space', though.

doobie

Nice.  I built one a few months ago, but it had an annoying problem of the cans getting stuck when they went from the top to bottom shelf.  I'll have to give that design a shot and see if it works better.

slim

Quote from: Puke on March 20, 2009, 05:11 AM NHFT
That's pretty damn cool.
I wish I had the room to make such a thing.

Maybe I could make a smaller version.

I am pretty sure you could scale it down so that it fits in the space you have. I would think that if you built something like that in to your home it could be a additional selling point for the home.

slim

Quote from: doobie on March 20, 2009, 06:32 AM NHFT
Nice.  I built one a few months ago, but it had an annoying problem of the cans getting stuck when they went from the top to bottom shelf.  I'll have to give that design a shot and see if it works better.

They have a possible solution for that problem look at step 13. If you run in to any other problems I would appreciate posting them and the others may figure out a solution.

Bald Eagle

Seems overcomplicated, too much work, too much cost, and suffers from the inherent flaws of design (rolling off track vs sliding straight) and the comparatively rough and soft wood construction that will get beat up and splinter over time, worsening the jam-ups.
I'd think a standard lazy susan-type shelf in a corner-cabinet position would be simple, and make the most efficient use of space, though I'm not a big fan of the cramped-space.

If I was going to do something like this, I'd just design it like the slanted shelves with tracks that supermarkets and convenience stores use for beverages.
Called "gravity feed merchandisers"
http://www.wjegli.com/GalleryPages/Standard.htm
Instead of having the shelves be inside a refrigerated stock room, just make the whole shelving unit be a "wall" with the stocking side facing a pantry, an area where you do canning, or a place where you unload groceries.
You can probably find the plastic tracks all over the place - since "the economy" is driving chains and small businesses - out of business.
Even if they're beat up and rough - a light sanding or a quick spray with silicone oil usually lets the cans or bottles slide forward freely.

Or you could use metal rails (even better) to guide the cans:

Using the rails minimizes the contact area between the can and the fixture, and so decreases the friction preventing the can from sliding down and forward.

Jim Johnson would surely be able to weld up on out of heavy gauge steel plate and rebar for Pat K to rotate his beer kegs. . .  :D

doobie

Quote from: slim on March 20, 2009, 09:16 AM NHFT
Quote from: doobie on March 20, 2009, 06:32 AM NHFT

They have a possible solution for that problem look at step 13. If you run in to any other problems I would appreciate posting them and the others may figure out a solution.

Yeap, I saw that after I commented and will try that out.

MaineShark

Quote from: AntonLee on March 20, 2009, 05:12 AM NHFTa really neat idea that I want to build. . . on that site I also found instructions on how to make a bookcase system that could hide a doorway to a room you want secret

Or just to use space more efficiently... since you can't put furniture in front of a door adding something to it that makes the space usable, without preventing the door from being opened is useful.

There are also simpler ways to do that, if having it be hidden is not important (like putting a caster on the far end of the door (assuming the floor is square to the door at all times), and building a bookcase right on the door, itself.  The caster gives away the secret, but doing it that way is far cheaper, and doesn't involve welding up a frame.  Make sure the door hinges are of good quality, and secured with long screws into the wall framing, not just the door trim.

Joe

AntonLee

Quote from: MaineShark on March 20, 2009, 01:49 PM NHFT
Quote from: AntonLee on March 20, 2009, 05:12 AM NHFTa really neat idea that I want to build. . . on that site I also found instructions on how to make a bookcase system that could hide a doorway to a room you want secret

Or just to use space more efficiently... since you can't put furniture in front of a door adding something to it that makes the space usable, without preventing the door from being opened is useful.

There are also simpler ways to do that, if having it be hidden is not important (like putting a caster on the far end of the door (assuming the floor is square to the door at all times), and building a bookcase right on the door, itself.  The caster gives away the secret, but doing it that way is far cheaper, and doesn't involve welding up a frame.  Make sure the door hinges are of good quality, and secured with long screws into the wall framing, not just the door trim.

Joe

actually the hidden aspect was what drew me to the column.   Secret passageways and stuff always get my attention.

MaineShark

Quote from: AntonLee on March 20, 2009, 02:22 PM NHFTactually the hidden aspect was what drew me to the column.   Secret passageways and stuff always get my attention.

Me, too.  Just pointing out that there are more-mundane uses for the same concept, which can also make the cost much lower...

Joe

AntonLee

actually, I didn't want to seem like I was dismissing the casters idea. . .in actuality that casters idea has got my juices flowing  =O)

Pat McCotter

Quote from: AntonLee on March 20, 2009, 03:02 PM NHFT
actually, I didn't want to seem like I was dismissing the casters idea. . .in actuality that casters idea has got my juices flowing  =O)

How did we get from "food storage" talk to "juices flowing" talk?!?!? ;D