• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Comic shop?

Started by maulotaur, April 16, 2009, 01:20 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Naw, I only ever played for fun occasionally.  It's just a game.

I thought I may have saved one deck from my collection, but I guess I didn't.  At first I felt a little regret over not keeping it, then realized it's just a game and that I should have silly emotional attachments to things like that.  My identity and positivity should not depend on my collection of possessions, so I'll have fun with whatever cards you provide me!

Mike Barskey

Wow. That was deep. You had me at "it's just a game." :)

You're welcome to use my cards when we play. Now, when do we play? Sunday, May 3?

dalebert

I'm missing a few things that I am pretty sure I left in my friend's basement in Stratham including a spare car key (my battery is dead), a headset for my comp, a tablet that I'm selling to Mike, and now my MtG cards. This gives me extra incentive to make a trip there soon to grab a few things.

jaqeboy

Quote from: maulotaur on April 16, 2009, 01:20 AM NHFT
I have a giant box of Magic the Gathering² cards to donate if anyone wants to play or if there is a comic shop where I can play.

Liberty Books in Concord is both a comic shop and a free-stater biz. 75 Allison Street. He's usually closed Sunday and Monday, but he welcomes people to come there for gatherings.

There was a shop in Nashua on Kinsley Street, but I forget the name of it.

The Relentless Dragon in Amherst: relentlessdragon.com

PS: Oops, just noticed this was in the Keene region.

maulotaur

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on April 23, 2009, 12:06 PM NHFT
depend on my collection of possessions, so I'll have fun with whatever cards you provide me!

For those who no longer have decks and still like to play, there is the 'big box' variation.

My box has two slots which I have filled with lands on one side and spells on the other.  The box acts as your library, so on each turn, the player draws the next card from each side of the box.  There is a mixed assortment of rares and non-basic lands, and I try to keep out cards that have you shuffle or look through player or opponents' libraries.  We might want to make some other adjustments to this, but it seems to work and you can't really get land-screwed.   ;D

dalebert

I checked and apparently I gave the MtG cards away back in L.A. It's hard to remember what all I kept. Oh well.

Mike Barskey

Did anyone confirm they wanted to play Magic: The Gathering tomorrow, Sunday, May 3 in Keene?

maulotaur

Quote from: dalebert on April 29, 2009, 11:21 AM NHFT
I checked and apparently I gave the MtG cards away back in L.A.

I could supply commons and lands or loan pre-cons.  If you have valuable cards, I can show you how to make proxy decks using deck sleeves.  They can look really good and keep more valuable cards from getting worn.  And if hard-core players get bent out of shape about this, carry the original(s) to show that you own them.  (I would not carry all of them at once since I had some lifted a few years back.)

Coconut

Quote from: Mike Barskey on May 02, 2009, 09:31 PM NHFT
Did anyone confirm they wanted to play Magic: The Gathering tomorrow, Sunday, May 3 in Keene?

Herding.
Cats.

Mike Barskey

dalebert

I was considering it but you guys just waited around too long and the bar was getting obnoxiously noisy and I had work at home waiting for me.

maulotaur

Quote from: Mike Barskey on May 02, 2009, 09:31 PM NHFT
Did anyone confirm they wanted to play

Do you have a venue?

Mike Barskey

I don't have a venue, but it can't be hard to find one. We could play at Vendetta, at the game store across the street, in the gazebo in Central Square, at someone's house, at Panera, in a park, etc.

Next Sunday, after Social Sundays, I would like to play MtG. I hope others are interested, too! Remember, I play to have fun (i.e., I suck!).

n/a

there must be some strange MTG bug in the air.... i was just talking to someone else about getting into MTG again.

i haven't done it in over 10 years, so i don't remember a thing about it... but i do remember it was fun, and the looks on guy's faces when i kicked their ass was priceless.  no super nerd wants to lose to a girl with pigtails.

but i wear the pigtails to show my star wars tattoo ;)

oh, added bonus for this thread, my good friend and film school partner, gabe carlton-barnes, is a MTG national champion.  just google his name and you'll find tons of crap on how amazingly kick ass he is at it.  he moved to NYC from our hometown of portland, OR (just before i moved to NH), so he could live where the national championship tournament takes place.  he says i should come down and check one out, and i'd love to... if anyone else wants to as well, it could be cool...

Nat F

Quote from: n/a on May 08, 2009, 11:35 AM NHFT
oh, added bonus for this thread, my good friend and film school partner, gabe carlton-barnes, is a MTG national champion.  just google his name and you'll find tons of crap on how amazingly kick ass he is at it.  he moved to NYC from our hometown of portland, OR (just before i moved to NH), so he could live where the national championship tournament takes place.  he says i should come down and check one out, and i'd love to... if anyone else wants to as well, it could be cool...

MtG Nationals rotate through the US, this year it's in Kansas City.  But NYC is one of the best places to play the game competitively.  I have to stay away from the cardboard crack though.  It was nice while Wizards paid to fly my across North America and Europe but I managed to quit my habit a few years ago.

-Nat