• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Glasses

Started by 41mag, May 09, 2009, 03:17 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

41mag

A little while ago I managed to mangle my glasses.  I need to get them fixed, but don't have insurance.  Can anyone recommend a place near Northwood - Concord area that won't charge me too much?

AntonLee

I don't know what strength your glasses are, but if they're prescription I'd say go ahead and save up a few hundred and get new ones.  I've found that getting my glasses fixed has been just as expensive.  If it's just the frames, they could probably do something for you. 

I would suggest an independent company, not only because I utilize one but because when I was in the office they showed consumer reports saying that independent companies usually provide better service and prices were about the same.

I can't suggest a place, there's a place in Seabrook called Eye Appeal that have been pretty good to me.

41mag

Yes, it was just the frame.  Bent up pretty badly, and have a screw stripped out that hold the frame together.

KBCraig

As long as your lenses are okay, most places can re-shape them to fit the frames you choose. There are lots of frames for under $50, but they might not be the most stylish.

If you have the chance to buy vision insurance, I highly recommend VSP. I pay full price (no employer subsidy), and it's a huge savings every year.

neggy

If the screw is stripped out they just replace it with a bolt. I have had this happen a few times.

I have found the optical dept at BJ's will bend, twist and repair glasses at little or no charge.

zackbass

Quote from: 41mag on May 09, 2009, 03:17 AM NHFT
A little while ago I managed to mangle my glasses.  I need to get them fixed, but don't have insurance.  Can anyone recommend a place near Northwood - Concord area that won't charge me too much?

If you can wait (maybe for your extra pair) just go to http://zennioptical.com/
I have used them more than once and the glasses are excellent and way way cheaper than anything locally, even on sale.  Huge selection too.

41mag

Thanks for the link.   :D

I'd probably need a new eye exam first though.  Which gets me back to needing to find a local place. . .

Russell Kanning

walmart will be not that much for an exam and cheap frames/lens

41mag

Quote from: zackbass on May 09, 2009, 04:42 PM NHFT

If you can wait (maybe for your extra pair) just go to http://zennioptical.com/
I have used them more than once and the glasses are excellent and way way cheaper than anything locally, even on sale.  Huge selection [tu].
I finally ordered from them today.  I did WalMart for the exam, but their glasses were much more than what Zenni was charging.  I'll see in a couple of weeks how the glasses turn out.

Anyone know of a good source for contacts now?