• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Just how silly is government school loyalty?

Started by Redchrome, May 25, 2009, 07:30 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Redchrome

http://xkcd.com/588/

"I mean, school districts are just based on zip codes"

I figured this out a long, long time ago. Pep rallies and thinking your school is the best or even significantly different from some other school, is the height of inane hubris. It's like professional sports teams... no real difference between them, or reason to choose one over another, other than geographical happenstance.

doobie

My high school was the best!  The football team had a 2 million budget.  And I think the school had a 400 million a year budget.  We were always rated number #1 or #2 in the state of IL while I was there!  I'm sure they are close to a billion a year by now so they must be twice as good, right?  right?  *shrugs*  That's why IL has higher property taxes than NH.  Of course the other reason is most of it also goes to pay for corruption.

Sam A. Robrin

For all the good they did, I have a damned difficult time forgiving the Beach Boys for "Be True to Your School."  (Probably Murry's idea, but still . . .)

Redchrome

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on May 25, 2009, 01:06 PM NHFT
For all the good they did, I have a damned difficult time forgiving the Beach Boys for "Be True to Your School."  (Probably Murry's idea, but still . . .)

It was probably a government propaganda conspiracy foisted on us by the CIA.
Betcha there's low-frequency microwave subliminal messages in the song, and if you play it backwards it says "Hail comrade FDR".

KBCraig

I think school loyalty mostly revolves around winning sports. Nobody holds rallies based on SAT scores.

Although I openly advocate eliminating government schools completely, a good first step would be separating athletics from schools.

When I lived in Germany they would have a fierce amount of loyalty to their local sports teams, but those teams weren't tied in any way to their schools. People went to school, then they went to "XYZ Sportverein" to participate in soccer, tennis, swimming, whatever.

Redchrome

Quote from: KBCraig on May 25, 2009, 05:07 PM NHFT
I think school loyalty mostly revolves around winning sports. Nobody holds rallies based on SAT scores.

Although I openly advocate eliminating government schools completely, a good first step would be separating athletics from schools.

Seems reasonable to me.
Does anyone else find 'sports scholarships' silly? Why would a school pay someone to come play a sport? It's advertising, but probably wasted advertising, since the people who want to go to a school because they saw the school's team play, probably only care about the sports program anyway. It's a self-perpetuating cycle of waste.

Pat McCotter

When I lived in Germany they would have a fierce amount of loyalty to their local sports teams, but those teams weren't tied in any way to their schools. People went to school, then they went to "XYZ Sportverein" to participate in soccer, tennis, swimming, whatever.

When I lived in Panama as a kid, each base and the civilian communities had their own baseball, football, swimming, tennis, etc, teams and competed amonget each other. Come to think of it, there being only one high school in the area (Pacific end of the canal zone) might have had something to do with that.

Jacobus

Quote"I mean, school districts are just based on zip codes"

I figured this out a long, long time ago. Pep rallies and thinking your school is the best or even significantly different from some other school, is the height of inane hubris.

I agree that school pride is silly and inane, though I would say that country pride is the height of inane hubris (and much more dangerous to everyone's well-being).  Perhaps the former leads into the latter.   

liftsboxes

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 25, 2009, 07:41 PM NHFT

When I lived in Panama as a kid, each base and the civilian communities had their own baseball, football, swimming, tennis, etc, teams and competed amonget each other. Come to think of it, there being only one high school in the area (Pacific end of the canal zone) might have had something to do with that.

Wow, you lived in Panama, Pat?  What was it like, besides school?   That's so neat!  :)

PorcAtHeart

I think it is an exercise in conditioned partisanism.  To get you used to choosing a side based on things that don't matter or don't make sense.  To get you vested in it without doing reasearch or thinking, because the matter is so inane that there isn't anything to look for.

And then, you grow up and become a voter that behaves just like that...

The shoe fits.

AntonLee

teach hate from day one!

I HATE THE SACHEMS!  SCREW PENTUCKET!  hehe  GO TRITON!

anthonybpugh

How is it silly?  Why is it silly or hubris to be proud of something you belong to?  Seems that there is a natural tendency for people to become loyal to whatever group they belong to. 

Giggan

Raineyrocks

Off topic, but I couldn't justify starting an entirely new thread about it.   Our 13 year old daughter went back to school yesterday and I feel so crappy but she was miserable being homeschooled. :'(   

I'm still homeschooling Ricky though and right now I'm in a "confrontation" with the school district so I'll see how this goes.   They want me to fax them over a letter of intent from them, his grades for Seton testing, his "graduation" from 4th to 5th grade, and my approval letter from Tri-City.  I refused.

Now, the lady from Tri-City is helping me deal with them and we're both upset because it's none of the Board of Ed's business because I have him "umbrella'd", (sp?), under Tri-City.