• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Self Defense and 'Pacifism'

Started by David, June 17, 2009, 08:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Self Defense only works when the victim is to some degree or another in parity with the perpetrator.  Where the victim is obviously weaker then the perpetrator, you see a bloodbath.  There are occasions where unconventional strategies (guerrilla warfare) actually seem to work, to some degree or another, but they are still bloody. 

With this in mind, it is not pacifism to yield to the deadly organized power of govt and engage them in nonviolent civil disobedience.  It is not pacifism to resist in a manner that allows you to live for another day.  The key is to actually resist, and to be an inspiration to others to encourage them to join you.  Dr. King pointed out that the death toll of all civil rights workers was less in ten years than three days of rioting in the Watts district in LA california. 

Kat Kanning

Quote from: David on June 17, 2009, 08:38 AM NHFT
  The key is to actually resist, and to be an inspiration to others to encourage them to join you. 

Nice :)

Russell Kanning

and pacifism isn't even a bad thing :)

also good recent article by the tipping point guy .... about david vs goliath .... david wins often when he refuses to play by goliath's rules

Tom Sawyer

Interesting article....

HOW DAVID BEATS GOLIATH
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/05/11/090511fa_fact_gladwell

Here is how this guy summarizes the article.

1) In David vs. Goliath conflicts throughout history, David actually beats the giant about 29% of the time.  There is a repeatable strategy underdogs can use when competing against established giants.

2) The established giant sees the "game" a certain way, with a certain set of rules, protocols and strategies.  These are the rules the giant mastered on his way to becoming the giant.  He is really good at them.

3) The underdog almost always wins *if* they break the rules and play a different game than the giant is used to.  This doesn't mean faster or with more flare, it means a totally different game.

4) The giant (and game observers) almost always find the underdog's rule-breaking morally objectionable.  Think the British vs. the American Colonies, Al Qaeda vs. U.S.A., I'm a Mac vs. I'm a PC., Netflix vs. Blockbuster.

Conclusion: If you are a startup competing against established or larger competitors, break the rules.  If your website, marketing material or business plan is similar to your competition's,  you're doing it wrong.  David didn't just use a fancier sword than Goliath.  He didn't use a sword at all.  Better design, a slightly faster product or  more colors isn't enough.  You have to change the game.

dalebert

Great points, Tom. And frankly, I find the giant's rules to be morally objectionable. That's as good a reason for not playing by them as the fact that we can't win as long as we play by them.

liftsboxes

... an excellent find, thank you.

David

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 14, 2009, 07:00 AM NHFT
and pacifism isn't even a bad thing :)

also good recent article by the tipping point guy .... about david vs goliath .... david wins often when he refuses to play by goliath's rules

I have considered pacifism, but I can't make myself give up the idea that I cannot allow someone to kill me.  I cannot reconcile it to my desire to live. 
What I have wrapped my mind around lately is that of De-Escalation of Force, DEF Principle.   ;D  (I made that up)  It is realistic, and certainly a form of self preservation to accept the battles that you cannot win, and violence against the government is one of them.  However, when you cannot stop harm, the next best thing is to reduce it. 
I guess it is less pacifism, and more libertarianism crossbred with the serenity prayer. 

Raineyrocks

I think those really, really, big rubberbands should be used for defense!  I have one in my pocketbook, just in case.  :D  (I really do)

Puke

Good points David.
I won't ever be a pacifist but I completely understand that if I try to defend myself against the largest gang in America They will respond with a gratuitous amount of violence that I have no chance of surviving.

Russell Kanning

you can survive ... you just have to choose to love big brother

watched the 1984 version of 1984 last night

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 04, 2009, 06:39 AM NHFT
you can survive ... you just have to choose to love big brother

watched the 1984 version of 1984 last night

How ironic, the 1984 version of 1984!  Alright, I'll shut up!  :D  It just sounded funny that's all.