• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Aspartame Sniper Attack!

Started by dalebert, February 04, 2010, 03:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Some many months back, I quit consuming any artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame. That mainly meant giving up diet soda which was the bulk of what I was consuming. I also switched to regular gum instead of sugar-free. I figure this is no big deal because it's so few calories and sugar. Been chewing regular gum (only occasionally, fortunately) but I just looked at the ingredients because there's something about the taste that bothers me. It seems too strong in some ways or something. It still has aspartame! WTF? Less, I'm sure than the sugar-free, but why are they putting it in regular gum when it's already got plenty of corn syrup and crap like that?

It's Wrigley's Spearmint, btw. I feel hood-winked!

Kat Kanning

Good for you!  (Sorry they snuck some in on you.)

Pat McCotter

I just looked at the Wrigley website and it appears ALL of their chewing gums contain aspartame and acesulfame K. >:( I sent them the question via their contact page.

Puke

Why would it matter in gum? You don't ingest gum.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Puke on February 06, 2010, 03:11 PM NHFT
Why would it matter in gum? You don't ingest gum.

*Hands Puke a hit of blotter acid* Hey just chew on this for awhile... don't "ingest" it or anything.  ;D

Lloyd Danforth

KBCraig

Pat McCotter

Taste! Or more exactly - after-taste!

Kat Kanning

Pat K

Quote from: Kat Kanning on February 07, 2010, 07:53 AM NHFT
Plus there's the brain tumors.

Always with the negative waves and Icy stares.

Kat Kanning

Competition:  Icy Stare vs. Belly Bop.  Who will win?

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Pat McCotter on February 06, 2010, 10:03 AM NHFT
I just looked at the Wrigley website and it appears ALL of their chewing gums contain aspartame and acesulfame K. >:( I sent them the question via their contact page.

Here is their non-answer:L

In Response to your Website Comments - Ref # 000624686A
Monday, February 8, 2010 12:00 PM
"PR@wrigley.com" <PR@wrigley.com>
To:
goinveg
Dear Pat,

Thank you for contacting the Wrigley Company to request information.  We are always happy to hear from our consumers and will be happy to answer your question.

In response to your request, we make three gums without aspartame:

*Hubba Bubba Glop
*Altoids Cinnamon gum
*Orbit Fabulous Fruitini

We thank you once again for taking time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Terra Moore
Consumer Affairs Representative

Please do NOT reply to this email.  If you would like to respond to this message, click on the link below.

http://www.econsumeraffairs.com/wwj/wrigley/ContactUsFollowUp.htm?F1=000624686A&F3=WWEB

David

Double bubble gumballs are great, no aspartame, cheap, and they do not get soggy as fast as other brands. 

Fluff and Stuff

There is talk of a class starting at the non-government homeless shelter in Keene to teach the homeless how to read food labels.  Maybe you want to sign up?

dalebert

Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on March 01, 2010, 04:52 PM NHFT
There is talk of a class starting at the non-government homeless shelter in Keene to teach the homeless how to read food labels.  Maybe you want to sign up?

Really? Where'd you hear this? You pulling my leg again, Keith? Sheesh.