• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Texas Holdem fundraiser for LSF

Started by JonM, October 18, 2005, 03:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketman

and aren't a form of taxation... I try in vain to convince my friends and family they shouldn't play the state lotto (and in WV, the state runs video poker, too).? ?:-\

tracysaboe

Quote from: polyanarch on October 19, 2005, 01:24 PM NHFT
I don't gamble -I have a perfectly good toilet at home that I can flush money down.

But I'm the last person to JUDGE anyone else. 

The house usually does quite well when it hosts events like this.  It might be a fun way to raise money.

As much as I agree with you about gambling. I'm not sure I agree that Poker is a game of chance.  If a game isn't a game of chance, it's not gambling is it? It's just, playing a game for money.

Or do I not know what gambling is. If you're good at Poker, you're really not flushing money away. If you're bad -- well, then you are.

Tracy

Michael Fisher

This is a GREAT idea.   :o 8)

It's also an incentive to form local scholarship funds because each one can hold 4 tournaments per year.   :)

Can someone give me an idea of the financial investment and risk involved?  Thanks!

Rocketman

I'm not sure how cheaply the investment can be made, but there's practially zero risk.  In poker you aren't playing against the house.  The house takes a predetermined percentage of the prize pool, the rest of which goes to the winners. 

I know the game well enough to deal or even supervise/coordinate, but of course I'd prefer to PLAY!

Eli

So, 25 scholarship funds, would mean about two tournaments a week.  Are we ready to open a gaming house yet? >:D

jgmaynard

Russell Kanning

A permanent one would be great..... it could happen at the bookstore/cafe/brewpub.
Rocketman gets you liquored up so he can beat you easier.

JonM

Let us not get ahead of ourselves.  I am told Jan-March is a prime time for this sort of thing.  If we wanted to do something sooner we bump into all the holiday stuff people busy themselves with, and all the money they're spending on that.

It would be best to hold the first one in either the Nashua or Salem area to get people from Massachusetts to help fund the cause.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Eli on October 24, 2005, 08:43 AM NHFT
So, 25 scholarship funds, would mean about two tournaments a week.? Are we ready to open a gaming house yet? >:D

Yes! :o

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Russell Kanning

Hit 'em before they get to the holidays and blow all their money. :)

Michael Fisher

I don't think there's any limit to how many organizations someone can be a board member of. ? ;)

We'll bring other worthy charities into our gaming house. ?Eventually they'll have to ban gambling altogether in order to stop the LSF's uncontrollable growth.

Then they'll be exposed for the tyrants they truly are. :o

Michael Fisher

Quote from: russellkanning on October 24, 2005, 02:21 PM NHFT
Hit 'em before they get to the holidays and blow all their money. :)

Good thinking!

jgmaynard

EVERYTIME is prime season for TH'em...... Make sure to announce it in the Monadnock Shopper if it's gonna be around Keene - That's where the players around here look for the new games......

JM

JonM

Every time but summer, they all shut down during the summer months here.  If we can pick a location and a general date I can get to finding someone to help us pull this off.

tracysaboe

Dude, if you were their I'd organize a Chess tournament. I'm registered and everything with the U.S. Chess Federation.

We could even do rated tournaments.

We could actually do a Scholastic Chess tournament with LSF as the Sponsor.

Chess brings out a lot of weird excentric people -- exactly the type we're looking for probably.

Chess and Education go hand in hand.

We could have a network. If we had local LSF's set up. Each one could do a tournament, say in April, and then the top 3 or 4 from each area could go to State.

All procedes go to the LSF, plus it's be excellent outreach.

In my experience Homeschoolers love chess.

Tracy