• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I'm still confused about the open carry laws in NH

Started by Raineyrocks, June 12, 2010, 10:11 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

I've tried to look them up and I just don't understand the legal jargon.   :BangHead:

I guess one of my questions would be this too:  If I plan on taking long walks with my dog at around 5 am, should I carry my gun in case wild animals confront us? 
Can I just carry my gun, loaded, with a holster clipped to my blue jean belt loop?  I guess if I have a t-shirt on that partially covers the gun I will need a concealed carry permit, right?

Tom Sawyer

Remember that even if someone gave you trouble for the "concealed carry' it is just a misdemeanor.

That said it is hard to be accurate with a pistol, might shoot your own dog if they are tangling with a critter.  People are a bigger threat than animals. A rifle is much easier to be accurate with...  Your dog will find and scare most animals before you even see them.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on June 12, 2010, 10:31 AM NHFT
Remember that even if someone gave you trouble for the "concealed carry' it is just a misdemeanor.

That said it is hard to be accurate with a pistol, might shoot your own dog if they are tangling with a critter.  People are a bigger threat than animals. A rifle is much easier to be accurate with...  Your dog will find and scare most animals before you even see them.

Thanks, maybe I should just stick with my knife?  :-\     

MaineShark

Quote from: Raineyrocks on June 12, 2010, 10:44 AM NHFTThanks, maybe I should just stick with my knife?  :-\

No.  Knife fighting requires a great deal of skill, and constant training.

You might intimidate a human with a blade, and get away with not being a trained knife fighter.  Animals are not impressed, and they do automatically a lot of the things human knife fighters need to learn.

If you don't want a gun, pepper spray is the next best thing for wild animals.  The foggers make it easy to hit them.  Aim low, right in front of them (eg, at the ground in front of a four-legged critter, or at the chest of a bear on two legs); under stress, you naturally "shoot high," so if you try to aim low, you'll probably score a hit.  And if you actually do end up aiming low, the spray will splatter up unto the animal's face.

After you spray an animal, move sideways, in case the critter lunges for where it remembers you being.

Joe

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on June 14, 2010, 03:22 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on June 12, 2010, 10:44 AM NHFTThanks, maybe I should just stick with my knife?  :-\

No.  Knife fighting requires a great deal of skill, and constant training.

You might intimidate a human with a blade, and get away with not being a trained knife fighter.  Animals are not impressed, and they do automatically a lot of the things human knife fighters need to learn.

If you don't want a gun, pepper spray is the next best thing for wild animals.  The foggers make it easy to hit them.  Aim low, right in front of them (eg, at the ground in front of a four-legged critter, or at the chest of a bear on two legs); under stress, you naturally "shoot high," so if you try to aim low, you'll probably score a hit.  And if you actually do end up aiming low, the spray will splatter up unto the animal's face.

After you spray an animal, move sideways, in case the critter lunges for where it remembers you being.

Joe

Thanks Joe!  Great advice as usual, you are very smart!  :)

neggy

Hi Rainey, long time no time.

As for open carry, it can't be loaded in your car, it needs to be fully exposed, except for what is in the holster.

Get a gun belt, seriously a nice 2 inch wide leather belt, a good holster, just strap the gunbelt on over your clothes or jacket.

First offense for concealed carry without a permit is a misdemeanor but it is a big hassle.

Thnder

Am I correct in thinking you can carry loaded in a car if you have a permit?

KBCraig

Quote from: Thnder on July 08, 2010, 12:51 PM NHFT

Correct. The permit is only required for two things: to carry a loaded and concealed handgun, or to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle (concealed or open doesn't matter).

It's illegal to carry a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle, period. That's a game & fish law, and it doesn't matter if you're not hunting.

Without a license, you may carry a handgun as long as it's not loaded and concealed, and you're not in a motor vehicle. Outside a vehicle, you can carry loaded and unconcealed, or unloaded and concealed, just not loaded and concealed.

"Loaded", by NH statute, means any ammunition in the gun, whether or not there is a round in the chamber.

The only place that is off limits by NH law are "courtrooms". Private property owners can ask you to leave or put away your gun, and if you don't comply they can have you charged with trespassing, which is no different than if they asked you to put on a shirt or leave.

Clear enough? It's pretty simple, I just tried to answer every permutation in advance, because people usually follow up with, "but what about...?"  ;)

Pat K

But what about in my space ship?

Can I have a loaded blaster in my space ship
while in NH?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Pat K on July 09, 2010, 12:08 AM NHFT

while in NH?
When the first space ship with a blaster comes to NH, I hope you are in it.

Thnder

Quote from: KBCraig on July 08, 2010, 09:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: Thnder on July 08, 2010, 12:51 PM NHFT

Correct. The permit is only required for two things: to carry a loaded and concealed handgun, or to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle (concealed or open doesn't matter).

It's illegal to carry a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle, period. That's a game & fish law, and it doesn't matter if you're not hunting.

Without a license, you may carry a handgun as long as it's not loaded and concealed, and you're not in a motor vehicle. Outside a vehicle, you can carry loaded and unconcealed, or unloaded and concealed, just not loaded and concealed.

"Loaded", by NH statute, means any ammunition in the gun, whether or not there is a round in the chamber.

The only place that is off limits by NH law are "courtrooms". Private property owners can ask you to leave or put away your gun, and if you don't comply they can have you charged with trespassing, which is no different than if they asked you to put on a shirt or leave.

Clear enough? It's pretty simple, I just tried to answer every permutation in advance, because people usually follow up with, "but what about...?"  ;)

That is very clear and answered my question. I appreciate your time.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: neggy on June 30, 2010, 05:45 PM NHFT
Hi Rainey, long time no time.

As for open carry, it can't be loaded in your car, it needs to be fully exposed, except for what is in the holster.

Get a gun belt, seriously a nice 2 inch wide leather belt, a good holster, just strap the gunbelt on over your clothes or jacket.

First offense for concealed carry without a permit is a misdemeanor but it is a big hassle.

Hi Neggy, thanks!  :D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat K on July 09, 2010, 12:08 AM NHFT

while in NH?

;D