• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Flash protests

Started by Dave Ridley, December 27, 2004, 06:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

OK here is a varation on some ideas Russell and I have been throwing around.

As you may know, sometimes I do one man protests.  I just get my dry-erase board, write a few 6'' tall words on it and stand at a busy intersection waving.   The first one said "IRS OUT OF NH;" the second one said "No Tax on Charity Poker," and I held it up right before a House session started, at a spot where all the reps drive by.

My dream is to have people all over the state ready to do this, on short notice, in response to the latest outrage.  For example, suppose  a tax protestor in Nashua gets arrested on behalf of the IRS, ends up sitting in the county jail.   If we had a couple working with us who live in Nahsua and have sign equipment....  We just call em up and ask them if they'd like to do a flash protest the next day at the jail.  With luck maybe more folks show up, but even one is better than nothing.

Is anyone interested in doing this kind of thing?

Russell Kanning

I like the idea. If we have a few people set up, we can always have someone that can do it on short notice.
I don't know about cold days like today. ;)

jcpliberty

John

Today? Cold? ?Hell, I spent about 2 hours outside today. ?I loved it! ? Granted I was walking in my favorite forest, takeing pictures, and testing out a pair of snow shoes. ? ;D ( BTW, I can report that snowshoeing is very good fun.)

Anyway, while standing with a sign the idea is to just dress right and have fun. ?If you think it might be too cold - keep moving (one should do this anyway). ?I have done a few sign waves before and the best thing that one can do is to be alive.

Don't waite 'till the cold gets to you. ?Bring your warmth to to the cold.

Smile, wave, turn toward oncomeing trafiic, wave and smile some more, keep moving, have fun . . . After a short while, if old man winter seems to keep telling you to go home, there is no shame in it. ?An average person will have done nothing - you will have (even if it was only for a short time) had fun and done somthing to spread liberty. ?In that short time, you will have done more than most will ever do.

Cold? ?Trust me you'll feel good. ?You will be even more comfortable, warm, and happy when you get home - if you only take a short time out of your day to brave the weather.

Don't take my word for it - try it.

jcpliberty

I have too agree with you whole heartedly! You should see the pictures (and you will if I can ever find them) of the first Bill of Rights Day Celebration we held on the Town Common in Billerica, MA last year. We were on the common with 1 1/2 of the white stuff!

I remember backpacking with my dad and his friend Mr. Jones when I was younger... in the snow in the White Mountains. THAT was fun. :-)

Kat Kanning

Send us some pictures, John :)  We like to have lots of NH pics to show people in the rest of the country what they're missing!

Dave Ridley

As far as the logistics of putting together re-writable sign, readable for passing motorists, here is what I did:

Went to Wal-Mart and got the biggest dry erase board I could, about 2' x 3'  -  8 bucks.  Bigger is better.
Headed to Staples and got their Gothic stencil kit, with 6'' tall lettering.   
This combination will allow you about 24 characters including spaces.  You can get there a the 3'' tall stencil kit for lettering to be seen at closer range, if you want it.
Then I got a couple dry erase markers.
Later I got Saran Wrap to cover the sign in the event of rain.  Dry erase must be kept dry or it will run.

Anyway when you have one of these kits you can just throw the stencils up on the board and quickly color them in, then change the thing the next day if you like.

More/better ideas welcome.....  I"ve tried other things but so far none have worked as well as this.

cathleeninnh

Thanks for the tips.

It answers some questions I had. We wanted to come to Concord with you and bought some dry erase boards. I didn't get the big ones because they seemed too heavy to hold for any length of time. Then that morning it was raining hard and I didn't want to ruin the boards. They are only cardboard.

So now I have a couple of apparently too small boards and not enough imagination to use them by myself.

I thought about:

HALT
GOV'T
GROWTH

It would fit on a small board but I don't want to imply I approve of Republican efforts to limit growth to some "acceptable" rate.

Some of us are perfectly willing but need guidance. Let me know when next you stand and I'll try to stand with you. Cold doesn't deter me. Surely that is obvious given our move from the south.

Cathleen

Russell Kanning

I can just see the day when Dada has 7 sign holders throughout Nashua on any given Saturday. People will be shopping around town and wonder "who are those guys? I saw 3 of them while shopping today."  8)

Kat Kanning

Are these the protests where Dada goes around in just a trenchcoat??   :o

jcpliberty

Quote from: katdillon on December 29, 2004, 02:05 PM NHFT
Are these the protests where Dada goes around in just a trenchcoat??   :o

:o KAT!

Kat Kanning

Well....he was the one who brought up (so to speak) doing protests in the nude to get more attention!

jcpliberty

Quote from: katdillon on December 30, 2004, 07:37 AM NHFT
Well....he was the one who brought up (so to speak) doing protests in the nude to get more attention!

LOL TOO FUNNY!

:o :o :o :o :o

Jim P.