• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Hampton Inn's bedding is so comfy!

Started by Raineyrocks, August 26, 2010, 07:50 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

I wish I was rich for many reasons but this reason is really lame but none the less it's sticking in my head.  I wonder if none the less is just 1 word, just a random thought that popped in my head. :-\

It takes me about 20 hours to get to Maryland because I go the back roads way and can't drive for 20 hours straight or when it gets dark out so I slept at a Hampton Inn on the way there and the way back.

I love their bedding so much!  I looked it up online when I got home and it would cost like $600 to buy the hotel bedding they have, it's a down featherbed, down pillows that go for over $75 each and a down comforter.  It was like sinking into a cloud!  Sooo nice!   I am thankful that at least I have a bed and a roof over my head I think it's just one of those, I want what I can't have things. :P

FreelanceFreedomFighter

Wow... 20 hours to get to Maryland!?!?!?

We used to go from ~Nashua to Alexandria, VA in 6-8 hours (depending on traffic/time-of-day, etc.). (Did it every few months until a couple of years ago.) And it only takes 13-16 hours to Western N.C. (depending on traffic, number of stops, etc.)... (We still do that at least twice a year...)

Granted, we do go highways and we do go straight through overnight, but... You're still talking almost triple the time. Many, many years ago when traveling from N.C. to MA the first time the Interstates weren't finished, so it was almost all back-roads. Even then it only took ~18-19 hours for a trip that we do today in 13-16...

Of course, if you take roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway, where the speed limit is 35 the whole way...

Not criticizing at all... just surprised at the time. I have the opposite problem tho... My friends call it "impatience in transportation mode"  ;)  Right now I'm really a "get from point A to point B" type, but when I can (like after retirement and a couple of times in the past) I like to really take my time and see everything. (I once took 4 days from N.C. to N.H. stopping to see everything along the way... that was a neat trip.)

My wife found these really wonderful sheets a number of years ago at BJ's. They were "high-end" to me... We bought two sets and they're still going strong. A lot nicer than the stuff we used to and normally get for the same price... Some hotels are now making available the same mattresses that they use. Someone I know was hot to buy one with the logic that "it gets used SOOOOO much in a hotel that it HAS to be better than other ones"...  ::) He didn't like it when I pointed out that it's only used once a night anyway, so how's that any more than what you do?  :biglaugh: Perhaps you can find a competing brand of those sheets and see how much they are. Might be cheaper for essentially the same thing...

Take care...

Raineyrocks

Yup, 20 hours!  :o   It's nuts, isn't it?   I go slow too.  I go through Vermont via 1-91 until I get to exit 2, (I think) and then end up on route 7 through Pittsfield Mass, then I think I end up on 9 south or maybe it's 9 south then rte. 7, blah, blah.  My directions are 2 pages long to get to Maryland (Delmarva).   I'm terrified of taking the "normal" way which I think is The Garden State Parkway and stuff.  The only area that I go through that scares me is I-95 through Philly until I get into Delaware.

I'm just going to give up on the idea of looking for better bedding stuff and be grateful for what I have.  I can be a brat sometimes and I have to stop it.  :D

AntonLee

I hear ya, I stayed at a Ritz Carlton a few years ago and I literally sank into their comfy beds.  I did the same thing and came home to find out how much I can snag their stuff for.  It was in the 1000's just for bedding.  We've got a pretty good setup now bedding wise, so it's a treat when we get to go to a fancy schmancy hotel and roll around on their extra comfy beds.

it gives you something to look forward to thought!

Raineyrocks

Quote from: AntonLee on August 26, 2010, 10:45 AM NHFT
I hear ya, I stayed at a Ritz Carlton a few years ago and I literally sank into their comfy beds.  I did the same thing and came home to find out how much I can snag their stuff for.  It was in the 1000's just for bedding.  We've got a pretty good setup now bedding wise, so it's a treat when we get to go to a fancy schmancy hotel and roll around on their extra comfy beds.

it gives you something to look forward to thought!

Wow, The Ritz, nice!  I know I couldn't believe the prices of the bedding and I think Pacific Coast Bedding is the company these hotels get their stuff from.   I remember way back Rick and I stayed at a fancy hotel and it had liquor in a little fridge so I was like, "yeah, let's party on!"  Well Rick told me they charge you an enormous amount of $$ for those little liquor bottles so we went to the liquor store instead.

AntonLee

Jaime's dad works for them so we got a big ass discount.  It was like $450 a night but the big ass discount (along with AAA) was $100 a night.

don't be tryin' to get that discount without having a big ass.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: AntonLee on August 26, 2010, 10:58 AM NHFT
Jaime's dad works for them so we got a big ass discount.  It was like $450 a night but the big ass discount (along with AAA) was $100 a night.

don't be tryin' to get that discount without having a big ass.

Wow, that's cool!  Love your "big ass" advice.  ;D

FreelanceFreedomFighter

It depends on where we're going obviously, but I generally stay away from I-95 too. We go that way when needed, but there are a lot of "not-so-good" areas that you have to go through...

We generally go I-81. It's not so... ummmmm... trashy. Over the past 40 years or so, it seems that Pennsylvania is almost always doing some sort of construction on I-81 tho. Sometimes that can be a drag if you get caught up in it. Fortunately, I've only gotten caught up in that stuff a couple of times over the decades. It might be easier to go I-81 and pick up I-70 @ Halfway and head over to Delmarva... (I don't know where that is, but I'm guessing it's over towards DC & Baltimore... ) You could pick up back roads in MD and save some time... Then again, you can just take your time and have fun. Maybe get another night on bedding that Jessica Simpson would cringe on.  ;D

cathleeninnh

We also use I81 instead of I95 to go south. Only once, we had to detour when I 81 was closed due to a snowstorm.

AntonLee

81 was an enjoyable ride, 95 has all those tolls which drain the lifeforce out of me.

FreelanceFreedomFighter

Quote from: AntonLee on August 26, 2010, 02:16 PM NHFT
81 was an enjoyable ride, 95 has all those tolls which drain the lifeforce out of me.

Yep... and your only choices if taking that route are:

1) get one of those automatic thingies where they just charge you as you drive by... (Woah! A "drive-by taxing"!  :sad1: )
2) having to slow down for the next toll at just about the time you've gotten back up to highway speed from paying the last effin toll!

AntonLee

delaware is like $7 and you're in Delaware for like 5 minutes

Raineyrocks

Quote from: FreelanceFreedomFighter on August 26, 2010, 01:30 PM NHFT
It depends on where we're going obviously, but I generally stay away from I-95 too. We go that way when needed, but there are a lot of "not-so-good" areas that you have to go through...

We generally go I-81. It's not so... ummmmm... trashy. Over the past 40 years or so, it seems that Pennsylvania is almost always doing some sort of construction on I-81 tho. Sometimes that can be a drag if you get caught up in it. Fortunately, I've only gotten caught up in that stuff a couple of times over the decades. It might be easier to go I-81 and pick up I-70 @ Halfway and head over to Delmarva... (I don't know where that is, but I'm guessing it's over towards DC & Baltimore... ) You could pick up back roads in MD and save some time... Then again, you can just take your time and have fun. Maybe get another night on bedding that Jessica Simpson would cringe on.  ;D

Rick takes I-93 to 495 West to I-90 west to I-84 west to I-91 south to I-95 south and then I-287 west to Garden State Pkwy south to NJ turnpike south to
blah, blah.  I just typed in everything he told me and my computer froze so I'm not asking him to repeat it because sometimes his voice drives me crazy after being with him for so long.  ::) Really, I'm not being mean, I love him. :D

Delmarva is not near Baltimore, it's Delaware, parts of Maryland, and Virginia combined in this little pennisula so I guess someone just used letters from each state to make the name. :dontknow:

Oh neat, there's a story about Jessica S. cringing!  What is it?

Pat McCotter

Quote from: AntonLee on August 27, 2010, 12:54 PM NHFT

Unless, of course, you are going to the Delmarva section of MD, like rainey. ;D

Hey, FreelanceFreedomFighter, where in Alexandria? I graduated from Groveton HS.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat McCotter on August 27, 2010, 02:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: AntonLee on August 27, 2010, 12:54 PM NHFT

Unless, of course, you are going to the Delmarva section of MD, like rainey. ;D

Hey, FreelanceFreedomFighter, where in Alexandria? I graduated from Groveton HS.

Exactly Pat!  :D  It's $4 on weekends and $2 on weekdays to pass through gorgeous  ::) Dover.