• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

New Hampshire Minuteman Militia anyone?

Started by jcpliberty, December 28, 2004, 06:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jcpliberty

Dave Ridley and I have been having an email conversation back and forth for a few weeks now about forming a miltia. What do other folks think? Anyone else interested?

Here is a transcript of what we have already discussed, which isn't much yet, but it is a start:

JIM PERRY: First, I think we need to have some sort of organizational meeting. Invite any and all interested parties. This meeting will determine who wants to put forth time and effort to forming the militia. For one year, at least, I think this core group should work on formulating the training handbook & rank schedule.  Once each member has decided that they think the organization is ready to start opening up to general membership, then so be it. Just an idea.

DAVE RIDLEY: That sounds good Jim, I like it!  Probably we also need some kind of web forum.  I will look into that.

JIM PERRY: How does starting a Google Group or Topica Group sound regarding the militia online forum? Let me know, I can set stuff up.

DAVE RIDLEY: I don't have a preference on these groups; I am currently wondering also how the idea of a private militia would square with the law and/or constitution in NH; I heard there was some sort of constitutional or legal prohibition against it.  That would mean it can only come into existence legally under the auspices of the governer (or would it)?

JIM PERRY: My understanding was that we could organize legally. We should check out any prohibitions first. The State Constitution protects the right to have a citizen militia as well as the RKBA in defense of Life, Property and State.

DAVE RIDLEY: Jim would you like to take this discussion to: http://www.soulawakenings.com/underground/forum/index.php That is a forum for liberty-oriented NH residents and the folks who run it are militia friendly.  It just came online and is pretty active but could always use more traffic. What you can do is just go there, register and start a thread about this.  Does this work for you? I tend to think this should be discussed openly and transparently.  I'll invite some of the other folks who've been talking about this to visit that forum too.

So here we are. Let's get this idea rolling, shall we?

Jim Perry

jgmaynard

I know Tim Condon (who is a lawyer) has looked extensively into this, and the only legal way to do it is to re-construct the NH trained citizen militia, which is required under the NH Constitution (but has fallen into disuse), and who reports to the governor of NH as the commander-in-chief..
ALL other military-like groups are forbidden, as I understand it. Ask Tim for Further, more official clarification.

JM

Russell Kanning

I can also see starting up one that is not legal under current laws. 8)

Dave Ridley

Hi Jim, welcome!

Yes I think item #1 is to determine whether any kind of private militia is even allowed under NH law and Constitution, if not we will want to work to get support from the Governor for a re-establishment of the State Guard under his control.   Benson has been approached about this, but I believe the Council worried (to their credit) it would cost money.   On the other hand one of the state reps I know thinks we ought to just give the governor a call and ask him to allow this, maybe it's too late though.   I don't know where Mr. Lynch would stand on this, but it would be really cool to have his support.   State guards exist in about 20 states inlcuding Mass, I think. There's nothing wingnutty about them.   On the other hand you have to jump through all the government hoops to make it happen...

Dave Ridley

jgmaynard

Quote from: russellkanning on December 28, 2004, 12:39 PM NHFT

Yeah, that's just it, Russ. ANY other type IS illegal, according to something (I think on the FSP forum) written by TIMMAY! ;)

JM

jcpliberty

Quote from: DadaOrwell on December 28, 2004, 04:10 PM NHFT
here's a good State Guard link:  www.sgaud.org

That link isn't working for me. I even tried www.sguard.org think that perhaps you mis typed it... also didn't work.

Jim

Russell Kanning

Quote from: jgmaynard on December 28, 2004, 10:47 PM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on December 28, 2004, 12:39 PM NHFT

Yeah, that's just it, Russ. ANY other type IS illegal, according to something (I think on the FSP forum) written by TIMMAY! ;)

JM
I would think that we will eventually have to start an illegal militia. :)

Grunt

Why do it illegally? The groundwork is already laid for a legal, lawful, and *trained* militia. I hardly think the Gov would oppose the idea?

I would gladly join such a group. With 14 years in the U.S. Army as well as having instructed 11B10 as well as 11HE9, it would be a breeze to create a state wide "common tasks" list.

Russell Kanning

I like the idea of joining a legal militia. But since one of the points of a militia is to protect yourself from the goverment, I will have to be willing to join despite what the government says. :)
I wonder how many NH militia type groups already exist and if we should join them or form our own.

jcpliberty

Quote from: Grunt on December 29, 2004, 07:50 AM NHFT
Why do it illegally? The groundwork is already laid for a legal, lawful, and *trained* militia. I hardly think the Gov would oppose the idea?

I would gladly join such a group. With 14 years in the U.S. Army as well as having instructed 11B10 as well as 11HE9, it would be a breeze to create a state wide "common tasks" list.

Agreed! So... next step, lets form a task committee to perform simple things, like calling the Governor and trying to see whats up on his end of things.

Jim

jcpliberty

Also, any other word on that website you tried giving us Dave? www.sguard.org?

Jim P.

Viscid

rothamerica

I believe that there is a remnant NH Militia located in Hillsborough.  I found a contact on the site: ebrown2@aol.com.  Worth a shot. ;D

Grunt

Would be nice if this could be a sanctioned entity, since it IS completely legal and encouraged by the constitution.

If not, we can say we did try to reach out to the powers that be.

Ill be with you guys on this when I get to NH this summer.

Let me know whos "in charge" so I can submit a common tasks proposal. I guess we start with individual tactical then move up to squad tactical. Thats probably the upper limit of capability for a militia.