• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Better Watch Out! You French Impressionists!

Started by Lloyd Danforth, November 12, 2011, 09:04 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

My Connecticut grand-niece's  interpretation of Monet:

Tom Sawyer

Alex Libman

Tell your grand-niece that Uncle Alex says hello, and that this style of "art" represents the convulsions of a collapsing civilization.  Instead of wasting her time drawing, she should be reading Kipling's poems and studying physics instead.

Tom Sawyer

Damn, what a buzz kill.

To appreciate things just for the joy of the aesthetic, just for the way it makes you feel.

Alex, I was willing to give you a chance and perhaps you'd develop. Maybe I was wrong, you'd be in good company with the Nazi's and their view on degenerate art.

Lloyd Danforth

I've encouraged Homeschooling with my niece, but otherwise keep my mouth shut.

Jim Johnson

Alex Libman

You cannot separate feeling from thought.  (Read Ayn Rand.)

Your "buzz" is an attempt to escape reality; and I do not "kill" it, I merely disagree.

What would have been more "Nazi"-like is if I had suppressed my individual opinions in order to fit in and "develop" according to your values instead of my own, which I consider to be more rational.  There is no comparison - I'm not out to censor anybody.  My supposed transgression here is my refusal to censor myself.

Emotional creativity does have its place, and this child (whose age is unknown to me) is clearly already being encouraged to express it.  I am adding greater value by encouraging the rest of the spectrum, with emphasis on developing those parts of the intellect that are the most valuable.

Tom Sawyer

It must be comforting to have all the answers.

I return everyone else to the thread of Lloyd enjoying sharing art from his great-niece.

Sam A. Robrin

Reminds me of the work of the aptly named Steve Keene, who mass-produces charming album cover knock-offs.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Steve_Keene

Becky Thatcher

Thanks for posting the picture, Lloyd.  It's lovely and it made me smile.

Kat Kanning

It's very pretty.  I liked French Impressionists, too.  (...and beards, for Randroids)

John

Nice colorful picture. I like happy colorful stuff.

What I don't like is having to get reports (as moderator) about someone being rude/hassling a kid.
Geese. Get a life. Maybe you can show us some of your happy colorful stuff which is done oh so perfectly?
Maybe try being nice once in a while. You might even like how it feels. It might cause you to do this: :)

Metta & Peace.

Alex Libman

How did this go from me not liking French impressionists to "hassling a kid" to losing 20 "karma points" to being reported to a mod?!  Talk about an overreaction...    You can't say anything to anybody 'round here, except staying on script of course, which I choose not to do.  I think people assume about 100x more hostility about me than actually exists...  the "us vs them" mentality, I don't smoke pot so I must be an evil fascist...  You people sound more and more cult-like every day...

KBCraig

Quote from: Alex Libman on November 14, 2011, 01:06 AM NHFT
How did this go from me not liking French impressionists to "hassling a kid" to losing 20 "karma points" to being reported to a mod?!

I dunno, perhaps it was this:

Quote from: Alex Libman on November 12, 2011, 02:50 PM NHFT
Tell your grand-niece that Uncle Alex says hello, and that this style of "art" represents the convulsions of a collapsing civilization.  Instead of wasting her time drawing, she should be reading Kipling's poems and studying physics instead.

Perhaps you honestly don't recognize the social conventions that are broken here, so I'll point out what I see wrong with your reply:
-Uncle Alex says hello is not just overly familiar for a stranger on the Internet talking about someone's young family member, it's downright creepy. Might as well replace your avatar with an image of Pedobear.
-this style of "art" represents the convulsions of a collapsing civilization not only misses the lighthearted nature of the original post --it's a child's watercolor!-- placing "art" in quotation marks, as if being charitable to even apply the term to the work in question, denigrates the artist. Again, it's a child's watercolor! While civilization might be collapsing in convulsions, I hardly think that French Impressionism is more representative of the collapse than any other form of art.
-wasting her time drawing Really?  ::) You can't think of anything kinder to say about a child's dabblings?
-she should be reading Kipling's poems and studying physics instead Or, perhaps she can study those things as well; perhaps she will even read Kipling while painting an Impressionist-style portrait of Einstein.

QuoteTalk about an overreaction...

Yeah, jeeze... imagine the outrage if you cleaned out the archives on a server you owned, or something.

QuoteYou can't say anything to anybody 'round here, except staying on script of course, which I choose not to do.

It seems that you seek to do the opposite. Or I think that's what We Think -- I've misplaced The Script and forgotten the rest of my line.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Alex Libman on November 14, 2011, 01:06 AM NHFT
the "us vs them" mentality, I don't smoke pot so I must be an evil fascist...  You people sound more and more cult-like every day...

This isn't Free Talk Live's BBS or Free Keene or any of the other places you've annoyed and then been attacked. Your need to constantly lump people into groups is causing you problems. This is the underground forum, many of us know each other in the real world. We enjoy teasing each other, I tried to include you in the fun. I gave you some karma because you seemed to be trying to fit in.

You know Alex, for someone that sounds so intelligent, you are pretty stupid. I would guess that most people here don't smoke pot... You just have an irrational fear and thus are bigoted against people that do. Folks like Russell have never used pot or alcohol, yet he doesn't rail against people that do. "Cool" is the term heads use to describe someone who is tolerant, fun to be around, and tight lipped enough to not get people busted. You are "uncool", the kind of guy that walks into the party and kills the conversation... that's what a "buzz kill" is.

I feel bad attacking you. Try to not see everything as a debate. Try to realize you could be accepted here. Try to realize that you can't know everything there is to know about life from reading it on a computer screen. Your left brain is over inflated and your right is atrophied, try and obtain some balance.

Find some insight from "degenerate art"...

HEMISPHERES