• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I feel like there is something I need to get off my mind

Started by Raineyrocks, February 04, 2012, 10:33 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Something has been bothering me for along time about myself and I need to be truthful about it because I feel it is time if I'm ever going to face and work out these issues I have within myself.

First off, let me start by saying/writing that I have focused too much on unimportant things inside my head, number 1 is caring way too much of what people think of me when they look at me.

Whenever I've thought of any "freedom movements", (the only words I can think of right now), like sticking up for animals rights when I was a vegetarian, like moving to NH to become part of the Freestater's movement, etc. I've mentally connected it with a certain persona of how other people think people's appearances should be when they are protesting, in the public eye, whatever.

I have avoided a lot of get togethers because I've been scared that someone will take a picture of me or just think I'm fat and lazy.  I went to 3 events since being up here and that was to protest about Lauren being in jail, to say goodbye to the McCotter's when they were moving back to Connecticut, and celebrating Lauren getting out of jail.  Those were the only 3 times I've had the courage to say to myself, "get over it, this is really meaningful", even though I'm sure there were more meaningful events that I sometimes purposely avoided because of my weight issue.

Kat and Russell I didn't know that you guys were moving until after the fact or I would've been there too. :)

I've posted older pictures of myself when I was thin even though I usually said they were older pictures so I wasn't purposely trying to deceive anyone but I was trying to cover up my weight issue that I've had for the past several years by not posting newer pictures unless they were above the chin shots.  I asked someone on here to please take a few pictures of me that were posted at the McCotter's goodbye get together off the forum so no one would see me for what I am now and that is; fat. 

This is an issue I've been struggling with for a long time even before I moved to New Hampshire because I never wanted to accept the fact that I've gained tons of weight since being diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about 16 years ago.  My weight has flucuated from pudgy to real obese over those 16 years and I wasn't used to looking like that and I cared way too much about my appearance so of course it was easier to "hide" in a forum then go out in public. I'm done hiding now though and I know I need to work with myself more on this so it's not like I'm going to be everywhere immediately and I'm definitely not ready for pictures.  This post in itself is a huge step for me.  :-[

Everyone that I met when I've gone to these events were wonderful and never made me feel like an oddity and I've missed out on some great things and getting to know some great people better than I do.  Thinking about Pat McCotter this morning after I found out he had passed away really gave me the courage to come out with this post, because if I would've hid from meeting him and Gloria I would've missed out on the chance of ever meeting him.  It makes my weight issue totally irrevelavant, (sp?), in my mind when I think about that.

So anyways, I'm done with the "fat" talk and I do want everybody to know that the personality I've shown on here is the real me so I'm not faking any of that stuff, it is just the over emphasis on looks that I've had trouble with.

P.S.  If anyone has a good, easy, diet to recommend I'm listening but I hate to cook and I did eat raw foods years ago, lost a lot of weight but I'm not sure if I'm ready to go back to that because it took so long to "uncook" anything and I hate fruit.  I'm also 99% sure that I'm going back to vegetarianism, (sp?), because I've gained even more weight eating meat and plus I'm not happy eating animals.  ;D

R.I.P. Pat McCotter  :'(

MaineShark

One thing is to eat the right kind of fats.  Your body needs the "essential fatty acids" (in the right proportions, both in total amount, and in the ratio between the different fats) in order to function (they form the insulation that keeps your nerve fibers from shorting out, and help keep your joints working, etc. etc.).

Most Americans don't eat anywhere near enough EFA's.  If your body isn't getting enough, you'll crave fatty foods, as your body's way of trying to get more.  So, if you take an EFA supplement every morning, you won't feel as much desire to eat fatty foods, that day (or, even better, take two or three doses, spread out over the day, instead of all at once).

The same applies to a lot of other nutrients.  Your body needs some specific nutrient, so it craves foods that contain that nutrient, even if those foods also contain things which aren't healthy for you.  Most "diets" are gimmicks - the best "diet" is just eating a balanced one.  Get the right nutrients, in the right proportions.

dalebert

Read a book called Wheat Belly. Though it may not be a big problem for you, it is a problem for a LOT of people so I generally feel that everyone should check that and see if it makes a big difference for them before trying all kinds of diets and failing to address the root of the problem.

John

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 04, 2012, 10:33 AM NHFTEveryone that I met when I've gone to these events were wonderful and never made me feel like an oddity...

OK. So then, knock it off and come back out to "play." :)

Peace sista.

dalebert

John

dalebert

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on February 05, 2012, 05:51 PM NHFT
One thing is to eat the right kind of fats.  Your body needs the "essential fatty acids" (in the right proportions, both in total amount, and in the ratio between the different fats) in order to function (they form the insulation that keeps your nerve fibers from shorting out, and help keep your joints working, etc. etc.).

Most Americans don't eat anywhere near enough EFA's.  If your body isn't getting enough, you'll crave fatty foods, as your body's way of trying to get more.  So, if you take an EFA supplement every morning, you won't feel as much desire to eat fatty foods, that day (or, even better, take two or three doses, spread out over the day, instead of all at once).

The same applies to a lot of other nutrients.  Your body needs some specific nutrient, so it craves foods that contain that nutrient, even if those foods also contain things which aren't healthy for you.  Most "diets" are gimmicks - the best "diet" is just eating a balanced one.  Get the right nutrients, in the right proportions.

Thank you so much; great advice as usual  :)   I've tried taking EFA's before and they didn't help me lose weight but I don't think that's my problem.  I was eating a lot of grass-fed beef too but I don't crave fats, I crave sugar and chocolate stuff, bread too. 

I've been on the gluten free diet for months but right now I'm sick so I am eating regular saltine crackers and gingerale because it's helping my throat feel better.  Anyways, I have absolutely no energy and that I really believe is my biggest problem.  I don't know if it's due to my thyroid not being in normal range because when I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's, (autoimmune thyroid disease), I had plenty of energy until the past few years. :dontknow:

I talked to this doctor that specializes in Hashimoto's and he told me to go gluten-free, low sugar, and to take licorice extract in the morning for my adrenal glands.  I did that for a few months and I lost 30 pnds. but still felt exhausted so I started eating gluten free candy here and there, went off the diet for a few months and gained the weight I lost back and then some.   Like I wrote earlier, I'm back on the gluten free diet again but I still have no energy and I really, really, need to exercise.

I joined a gym but only went twice so before I got sick this week I was trying to get into a routine of working my muscle groups out on my universal gym but it feels like it's such a struggle to get enough energy to just do that.  A lot of people told me, including that one doctor, that I will get my energy back if I did all of this but it's not working.  The only person that says I'm not going to lose weight or have energy until my thyroid labs are in range is my regular doctor.

Joe, have you ever looked into nootropics?  I know EFA's are a nootropic but I mean the kind that are supposed to help you focus and give you energy.  I've been looking into them, such as L-Theanine, and Piracetam, Vinpocetine ,Yohimbe, and  it's a mixed review unfortunately because some people say they got addicted to them and I don't want that to happen but I was thinking maybe these could help me?   The only thing I'm scared of is that most sites say you have to mix these with Gabba type powders and I think that effects you serotonin levels and I don't know if it's safe to mess with this stuff.  What's your opinion ?

Thanks again ! :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: dalebert on February 06, 2012, 12:31 PM NHFT
Read a book called Wheat Belly. Though it may not be a big problem for you, it is a problem for a LOT of people so I generally feel that everyone should check that and see if it makes a big difference for them before trying all kinds of diets and failing to address the root of the problem.

Thanks Dalebert !  :)   I have tons of gluten free books and if you read my reply to Joe's post you'll see what happened with that.   I think it's good for me to stay away from wheat but it hasn't helped me with energy and that's what I really need because I'm positive that lack of exercise is my biggest downfall.  When I have exercised it hasn't given me extra energy in the past few years,  it's totally wiped me out for days even though in the past it used to give me more energy.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: John on February 06, 2012, 12:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 04, 2012, 10:33 AM NHFTEveryone that I met when I've gone to these events were wonderful and never made me feel like an oddity...

Peace sista.

I'm trying, kind of, sort of........... :-\   Peace bro.  ;D

MaineShark

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 10, 2012, 12:57 PM NHFTThank you so much; great advice as usual  :)   I've tried taking EFA's before and they didn't help me lose weight but I don't think that's my problem.  I was eating a lot of grass-fed beef too but I don't crave fats, I crave sugar and chocolate stuff, bread too.

Well, the intent wasn't really that EFA's are the answer, but just that balance is the answer.  If you're not getting a certain nutrient, your body will crave foods that contain that nutrient, even if they also contain a lot of crud that you don't need.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 10, 2012, 12:57 PM NHFTI've been on the gluten free diet for months but right now I'm sick so I am eating regular saltine crackers and gingerale because it's helping my throat feel better.  Anyways, I have absolutely no energy and that I really believe is my biggest problem.  I don't know if it's due to my thyroid not being in normal range because when I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's, (autoimmune thyroid disease), I had plenty of energy until the past few years. :dontknow:

I talked to this doctor that specializes in Hashimoto's and he told me to go gluten-free, low sugar, and to take licorice extract in the morning for my adrenal glands.  I did that for a few months and I lost 30 pnds. but still felt exhausted so I started eating gluten free candy here and there, went off the diet for a few months and gained the weight I lost back and then some.   Like I wrote earlier, I'm back on the gluten free diet again but I still have no energy and I really, really, need to exercise.

I can relate.  I contracted mono at 30.  That was not fun.  Most folks get it as toddlers, and it's just like a flu.  The older you get, the harder it hits.  It will mess up a teenager pretty well.  By the time you're 30 or older... I had to take a nap each afternoon in order to have enough energy to go to sleep that night...  Not to mention that my liver swelled up so bad that I couldn't get my pants buttoned.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 10, 2012, 12:57 PM NHFTI joined a gym but only went twice so before I got sick this week I was trying to get into a routine of working my muscle groups out on my universal gym but it feels like it's such a struggle to get enough energy to just do that.  A lot of people told me, including that one doctor, that I will get my energy back if I did all of this but it's not working.  The only person that says I'm not going to lose weight or have energy until my thyroid labs are in range is my regular doctor.

Your regular doctor is probably right about that.  I'm not overly familiar with Hashimoto's, but there may be things you can do to help things get there, though.  For example, taking herbs that support liver health helped me a lot when dealing with the mono.  They didn't "cure" the viral infection, but they supplied the chemical precursors that the liver needs to heal itself, so it was able to more rapidly repair the damage that the infection was causing, resulting in a major reduction in symptoms.  There may be herbal supplements that can do similar things in your case, supplying your body with chemicals it needs, to take the stress off the systems that are damaged.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 10, 2012, 12:57 PM NHFTJoe, have you ever looked into nootropics?  I know EFA's are a nootropic but I mean the kind that are supposed to help you focus and give you energy.  I've been looking into them, such as L-Theanine, and Piracetam, Vinpocetine ,Yohimbe, and  it's a mixed review unfortunately because some people say they got addicted to them and I don't want that to happen but I was thinking maybe these could help me?   The only thing I'm scared of is that most sites say you have to mix these with Gabba type powders and I think that effects you serotonin levels and I don't know if it's safe to mess with this stuff.  What's your opinion ?

You have to be careful.  Some nootropics can be addictive.  Others (like EFA's) are more benign.  And, with atypical hormone levels, you'd need to take any research with a grain of salt (sea salt, of course, since excess iodine is bad if you have thyroid issues), as the benefits might not be the same, or there might be unexpected side effects, when compared to research done on folks with normal hormone levels.

MaineShark

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 10, 2012, 01:03 PM NHFT
Quote from: John on February 06, 2012, 12:37 PM NHFT

Peace sista.
I'm trying, kind of, sort of........... :-\   Peace bro.  ;D

Seriously.  You should come down to Grafton sometime...

PassionatePantherrr

Rainey, it sounds like you have a number of things going on... drop me a note if you'd like to talk more about what herbal/nutritional options you may have to help you work on things, ok? (I've been the person to point Joe in the right direction on things, as he's my hubby ;-) )

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on February 10, 2012, 06:14 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 10, 2012, 12:57 PM NHFTThank you so much; great advice as usual  :)   I've tried taking EFA's before and they didn't help me lose weight but I don't think that's my problem.  I was eating a lot of grass-fed beef too but I don't crave fats, I crave sugar and chocolate stuff, bread too.

Well, the intent wasn't really that EFA's are the answer, but just that balance is the answer.  If you're not getting a certain nutrient, your body will crave foods that contain that nutrient, even if they also contain a lot of crud that you don't need.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 10, 2012, 12:57 PM NHFTI've been on the gluten free diet for months but right now I'm sick so I am eating regular saltine crackers and gingerale because it's helping my throat feel better.  Anyways, I have absolutely no energy and that I really believe is my biggest problem.  I don't know if it's due to my thyroid not being in normal range because when I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's, (autoimmune thyroid disease), I had plenty of energy until the past few years. :dontknow:

I can relate.  I contracted mono at 30.  That was not fun.  Most folks get it as toddlers, and it's just like a flu.  The older you get, the harder it hits.  It will mess up a teenager pretty well.  By the time you're 30 or older... I had to take a nap each afternoon in order to have enough energy to go to sleep that night...  Not to mention that my liver swelled up so bad that I couldn't get my pants buttoned.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 10, 2012, 12:57 PM NHFTI joined a gym but only went twice so before I got sick this week I was trying to get into a routine of working my muscle groups out on my universal gym but it feels like it's such a struggle to get enough energy to just do that.  A lot of people told me, including that one doctor, that I will get my energy back if I did all of this but it's not working.  The only person that says I'm not going to lose weight or have energy until my thyroid labs are in range is my regular doctor.

Your regular doctor is probably right about that.  I'm not overly familiar with Hashimoto's, but there may be things you can do to help things get there, though.  For example, taking herbs that support liver health helped me a lot when dealing with the mono.  They didn't "cure" the viral infection, but they supplied the chemical precursors that the liver needs to heal itself, so it was able to more rapidly repair the damage that the infection was causing, resulting in a major reduction in symptoms.  There may be herbal supplements that can do similar things in your case, supplying your body with chemicals it needs, to take the stress off the systems that are damaged.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 10, 2012, 12:57 PM NHFTJoe, have you ever looked into nootropics?  I know EFA's are a nootropic but I mean the kind that are supposed to help you focus and give you energy.  I've been looking into them, such as L-Theanine, and Piracetam, Vinpocetine ,Yohimbe, and  it's a mixed review unfortunately because some people say they got addicted to them and I don't want that to happen but I was thinking maybe these could help me?   The only thing I'm scared of is that most sites say you have to mix these with Gabba type powders and I think that effects you serotonin levels and I don't know if it's safe to mess with this stuff.  What's your opinion ?

You have to be careful.  Some nootropics can be addictive.  Others (like EFA's) are more benign.  And, with atypical hormone levels, you'd need to take any research with a grain of salt (sea salt, of course, since excess iodine is bad if you have thyroid issues), as the benefits might not be the same, or there might be unexpected side effects, when compared to research done on folks with normal hormone levels.

Thanks again Joe :)   Yup, I've had mono 3 times in my life and I just slept my life away for over a month each time I had it :(   Whenever a doctor feels my abdomen area they can still feel that my spleen is swollen because they always ask me if I've ever had mono.

I just got back from the doctors today and my thyroid levels are still out of range, eeerrr, so now he's hired my t4 for the 11th time in the past 2 years.  I'm on a good formula too, it's made by a compounding pharmacy up in Littleton and I feel better since I started taking it but I'm still not back to "me".

I'm so tempted to try a nootropic called yohimbine hcl, it's supposed to rev up the metabolism but your right about being very cautious.  Heck, Alex Jones has me half-tempted to start using his Tangy Tangerine.

Thanks again Joe.  :D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: PassionatePantherrr on February 11, 2012, 11:26 PM NHFT
Rainey, it sounds like you have a number of things going on... drop me a note if you'd like to talk more about what herbal/nutritional options you may have to help you work on things, ok? (I've been the person to point Joe in the right direction on things, as he's my hubby ;-) )

Yup, I think I do too.  I sent you a pm, thanks Denise :)