• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

For the Jarheads...

Started by KBCraig, August 01, 2012, 08:14 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

SAN DIEGO, California — On Jan. 26, 2011, a pair of U.S. Marines put Alan Gourgue in handcuffs and a restraint belt and hauled him across the country to face trial as a deserter. Gourgue was distraught and completely confused; he had been honorably discharged in 2006 and finished his reserve obligation four months earlier.

Gourgue's ordeal provides a glimpse into a rarely seen, slow-moving, stiflingly bureaucratic world of military desertions, where one administrative mistake can result in a catch-22 that Joseph Heller couldn't have invented.

More:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/07/deserter-fuba/all/

Pat K

Damn if I ever start having nightmares, this would be it.

Silent_Bob

This would be a good story to make a flyer and hand out at recruitment centers. :)

Tom Sawyer

When I was in "The Suck", the warm fuzzy name us Jugheads used to refer to the USMC... I got caught in bureaucratic limbo while on leave in the Phillipines... They wouldn't pay me, they wouldn't feed me... then when I tried to fly back to the states they tried to confiscate my passport... "Oh no you won't!" I shouted at the Major and ran all the way off the base. For 2 weeks I was a man without a country... if I hadn't only had 2 months left in my enlistment I probably would have just disappeared out into the province.

That 2 weeks with no money, I had some of the best fun of my life. The girls and families I was connected with provided, I had a giant bag of stuff to trade... Days on the beach, nights bar hopping dancing with my girl and her friends... damn, now I want to go tropical again.  ;D

But, back on topic, yeah the military will lose your kid... get him killed... let his health fail and not save him... treat him like a a pawn and a number. It cemented my distrust of gooberments and institutions in general.