• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Diabetic Cleburne Teen Hit With Taser After Crash

Started by Silent_Bob, October 26, 2012, 10:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent_Bob

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/10/24/diabetic-cleburne-teen-hit-with-taser-after-crash/

A Cleburne teenager was hit with a Taser by police while he was having a medical emergency, and the incident was caught on tape.

It now means police in the city of Cleburne will be required to watch another video – a diabetes training video.

When Ricky Jones collided with a car in Cleburne April 9th, he was disoriented and confused. A Cleburne police officer questioned him. His audio was recorded. He asked Jones, "Do you understand that I'm talking to you? Answer my question. What's the matter with you?"

The 19-year-old driver was in a hypoglycemic state. He's diabetic. His blood sugar was dangerously low.

"Step out of the vehicle, sir. Provide me with your driver's license and insurance," the officer can be heard saying. "Step out of the vehicle. Or I will tase you!"

23-seconds later he does, firing at the teenager once in the car and once on the ground.

Emergency crews arrive. The officer finds out what was wrong. "I didn't know he was freakin' diabetic!" the officer said.

"Instead of getting medical treatment, he was shot by a taser," Jerry Murad said.

Murad is Jones' attorney. "I think it was a mistake, an error in judgement," Murad said.

It's an error from which others could benefit.

Murad settled with the city of Cleburne for $5,000 and an agreement requiring officers who don't know about diabetes symptoms to watch a 20-minute training video from the American Diabetes Association.

The City of Cleburne said they couldn't comment on the issue.

The Fort Worth and Dallas police departments say they go over diabetes training in the academy. But, Dallas police say they are going to take a look at the diabetes training video to see if they should include it in their regular training program.

KBCraig