• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

If you had a choice between keeping your teeth or getting dentures/partials

Started by Raineyrocks, January 09, 2013, 09:34 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

what would you do?   I am constantly getting cavities filled, root canals, crowns, blah, blah and I'm sick of it.  I take excellent care of my teeth however I've had 2 crowns break off the last few months and had to have surgical removal of what was left of the molars and I didn't see the point of getting 2 new crowns as I'm sure they would just fall off too. ::)

I don't want to feel like an old lady having dentures but I've talked with some family members that have had dentures since thier 20's and I never even knew. :o  They said they had no problem and the secret to not getting that drawn in lip look is to sleep with them in even though when I talked to my dentist he said they should come out every night. :-\

Rick didn't think I would go there with the "oral sex" question to the dentist but I did and he said a lot of guys like getting blow jobs with no teeth but I think that would be weird for Rick and I already don't use my teeth.  I have a top partial for some missing back teeth already and I'm just thinking that if I get dentures I won't have to worry about tooth pain and sensitivity anymore.

Any advice?

jerry

Rainey, If you are asking the question you are probably ready for dentures.

I'm in my first year with a complete set of dentures and glad I did it.
It's expensive and painful at first, but I'm no longer bothered by sleepless nights caused by constant toothaches, and no more dentist drills causing pain.

There's a period of adaptation.  I just had my first steak in 9 months and had to relearn how to chew; biting my lip occasionally because the teeth are different.

If you already have a partial you know the problems with food getting under them, but it's tolerable.

Lloyd told me that he never took his out except for cleaning, so sleeping with them in isn't a problem.  I do occasionally sleep with them.  It seems to help me breathe better, and I think it helped my gums reform for a better fit.

The best part is it stopped the voices in my head.  Especially the one with my mother saying "Don't eat all that candy.  You'll rot your teeth."

Raineyrocks

Quote from: jerry on January 09, 2013, 01:51 PM NHFT
Rainey, If you are asking the question you are probably ready for dentures.

I'm in my first year with a complete set of dentures and glad I did it.
It's expensive and painful at first, but I'm no longer bothered by sleepless nights caused by constant toothaches, and no more dentist drills causing pain.

There's a period of adaptation.  I just had my first steak in 9 months and had to relearn how to chew; biting my lip occasionally because the teeth are different.

If you already have a partial you know the problems with food getting under them, but it's tolerable.

Lloyd told me that he never took his out except for cleaning, so sleeping with them in isn't a problem.  I do occasionally sleep with them.  It seems to help me breathe better, and I think it helped my gums reform for a better fit.

The best part is it stopped the voices in my head.  Especially the one with my mother saying "Don't eat all that candy.  You'll rot your teeth."

I'm just so confused because I've had some dentists tell me I could keep the teeth on top and some on the bottom but they would need more fillings and I'd need a partial bottom also for the missing back teeth.  I feel like you did I just want there to be an end to all of it. Wow, it took you that long to be able to eat normally?  Could you talk normally right away?

I've read horror stories on the internet about people having misfitted dentures and wasting all of their money, like they are in more pain with their dentures than without.  I don't really know of any dentists and the one that was recommended by the dentist that just did the surgical extraction from my crown falling out doesn't accept my discount dental plan. 

I'd like to keep my teeth but I've also read once you get so many cavities filled the tooth's strength is never the same so I will probably be at the dentists all the time.  Will I sound the same when I talk?  Is it true that bottom dentures don't stay in at all?  Are their different newer versions of dentures or are the old kind the best?  Sorry for all the questions, it's just a big decision.

I don't understand what happened to my teeth, I brush, floss, have a Sonicare, Waterpik, don't drink that much soda and I have nothing but trouble.  My twin sister hardly ever took care of her teeth, (even she will agree), and she just had a lot of cavities but not the problems I'm having. :-\

Thank you so much for your advice! ;D

jerry

" Wow, it took you that long to be able to eat normally?  Could you talk normally right away?......"

No, it didn't take that long after I got the dentures.  I had several molars break months before I got them.  That's when I stopped eating steak.
I really don't know if I talk "normally".  (Although I'm sure Mrs. Wingerter would be appalled - she was my childhood elocution teacher.)  I have only noticed a sssmall problem with ssome ssssibilants.  :)

"I don't really know of any dentists..."

I went to a clinic that specializes in dentures.  It was considerably faster and cheaper than it would have been with my regular dentist and oral surgeon. 
You might try going to one for an evaluation.  They can talk to you about things like using your old capped tooth to implant a post which solves the lower plate moving problem.  They just click into place.  But I find that a dab of Poligrip works fine.

"I'd like to keep my teeth but I've also read once you get so many cavities filled the tooth's strength is never the same...."

When you next visit the dentist ask to see your Xrays.  I was shocked at how much metal and how little actual tooth I had left.   Lloyd also attributed his feeling in better health afterwards to the removal of all the mercury amalgam in his mouth.

You have a twin?  I thought you were one-of-a-kind.   ;D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: jerry on January 11, 2013, 02:40 PM NHFT
" Wow, it took you that long to be able to eat normally?  Could you talk normally right away?......"

No, it didn't take that long after I got the dentures.  I had several molars break months before I got them.  That's when I stopped eating steak.
I really don't know if I talk "normally".  (Although I'm sure Mrs. Wingerter would be appalled - she was my childhood elocution teacher.)  I have only noticed a sssmall problem with ssome ssssibilants.  :)

"I don't really know of any dentists..."

I went to a clinic that specializes in dentures.  It was considerably faster and cheaper than it would have been with my regular dentist and oral surgeon. 
You might try going to one for an evaluation.  They can talk to you about things like using your old capped tooth to implant a post which solves the lower plate moving problem.  They just click into place.  But I find that a dab of Poligrip works fine.

"I'd like to keep my teeth but I've also read once you get so many cavities filled the tooth's strength is never the same...."

When you next visit the dentist ask to see your Xrays.  I was shocked at how much metal and how little actual tooth I had left.   Lloyd also attributed his feeling in better health afterwards to the removal of all the mercury amalgam in his mouth.

You have a twin?  I thought you were one-of-a-kind.   ;D

Yeah I had to go to a speech therapist when I was a little kid and I still have to slow down with a lot of words.  My family would always ask my twin what I was saying instead of making me pronounce the words correctly. ;D  Ha, ha, yeah I have a twin, she's almost totally opposite from me but we laugh identically. :)

Oh my gosh, I saw my x-rays, lots of fillings, they are the white fillings though are they made out of mercury?  I can't afford any implants even though that would be the best for the bottoms, I agree.  The oral surgeon I went to the other week warned me away from I think it was Aspen Dental, is that where you went?  I read the reviews on them and it seems like some of the locations are awful but others were okay so I guess it depends on where you go for Apsen Dental. :dontknow:

KBCraig

Quote from: Raineyrocks on January 09, 2013, 09:34 AM NHFT
Rick didn't think I would go there with the "oral sex" question to the dentist but I did and he said a lot of guys like getting blow jobs with no teeth but I think that would be weird for Rick and I already don't use my teeth.

Obviously, more research will be required. Comparison testing, with and without.  ;D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on January 14, 2013, 02:49 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on January 09, 2013, 09:34 AM NHFT
Rick didn't think I would go there with the "oral sex" question to the dentist but I did and he said a lot of guys like getting blow jobs with no teeth but I think that would be weird for Rick and I already don't use my teeth.

Obviously, more research will be required. Comparison testing, with and without.  ;D

Pervy! ;D

KBCraig

I do know someone who had fought bad teeth her whole life, and finally had them all removed and got full plates in her early 30s. Almost no one knows, and she's much happier and healthier.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on January 15, 2013, 09:19 PM NHFT
I do know someone who had fought bad teeth her whole life, and finally had them all removed and got full plates in her early 30s. Almost no one knows, and she's much happier and healthier.

That seems to be most people's experience, I haven't heard anyone complain except for some testemonials, (sp?), of people I don't know.  I'm not in that big of a hurry, thank goodness I have some time to think about it.........until another crown breaks but the ones I have left seem pretty strong so far. :-\

I just hated the thought of taking them out and "kerplunking" them in a glass of water then going to bed with Rick so I would sleep with them in.  Gosh, that would be horrible if they loosened up while I was asleep and I choked to death on them.  Do you think that could happen?

jerry

Rainey,  the silver colored fillings are a mercury amalgam .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_amalgam_controversy

The white ones are a plastic resin .

No, even if they come loose while you sleep they won't choke you.

WithoutAPaddle

And if I ever lose my mouth,
all my teeth, north and south,
Yes if I ever lose my mouth,
Oh if... I won't have to talk...

- Cat Stevens

He must be killed. The Qur'an makes it clear - if someone defames the prophet, then he must die

- Yusuf Islam, commenting on Salman Rushdie

Raineyrocks

Quote from: jerry on January 16, 2013, 12:32 PM NHFT
Rainey,  the silver colored fillings are a mercury amalgam .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_amalgam_controversy

The white ones are a plastic resin .

No, even if they come loose while you sleep they won't choke you.

Thanks, I have the white fillings but my sister has the silver ones, I think that's why she's sick so much. :-\  Thank goodness, I was worried about choking. :) 

I bought this mouthguard for tmj and teeth grinding, tried wearing it one night and in the middle of the night it came off and I almost choked.  I'm terrified of choking to death because first of all I don't think many people would find it pleasant and also I almost choked to death when I was 12.   

My mom made barley soup and didn't tell us that she put neck bones in it  ::), she saw me holding my nose and just swallowing the soup, (it was so gross), so anyways a bone got lodged in my throat.  We lived in Connecticut and the hospital was pretty far away, my sister tried to save me but nope it didn't work so my mother slowly drove me to the hospital  ::).  I don't think she liked me, years later she said she wasn't in a hurry because if I was going to die I would've been dead in a few minutes. :P  Anyways, they got ready to do a tracheotomy, (sp?), but the doctor put a tongue deppreser down my throat for the 3rd and last time and I barfed up the bone from my throat.  It was a pretty big bone and had a pinhole in it that was letting me breath. 

Raineyrocks

Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on January 16, 2013, 01:51 PM NHFT

- Cat Stevens

He must be killed. The Qur'an makes it clear - if someone defames the prophet, then he must die

Cat Stevens must be killed?  I'm sorry, I'm confused. :)

KBCraig

Quote from: Raineyrocks on January 26, 2013, 09:55 AM NHFT

- Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens now goes by the name Yusuf Islam.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on January 26, 2013, 10:31 AM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on January 26, 2013, 09:55 AM NHFT

- Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens now goes by the name Yusuf Islam.

Yeah I know that but I don't get why he has to be killed.  Is it because of what he said about his mouth?