• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Postal Service to end Saturday mail delivery in bid to cut costs

Started by Raineyrocks, February 06, 2013, 07:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

WTF???   I have OCD big time when it comes to mail delivery! >:(  I don't even like sundays because there is no mail delivery! 

Postal Service to end Saturday mail delivery in bid to cut costs
Published February 06, 2013

FoxNews.com

The U.S. Postal Service plans to announce Wednesday that it will end Saturday mail delivery, in one of the most significant steps taken to date to cut costs at the struggling agency.

A source familiar with the decision confirmed the plan to Fox News.

Under the proposal, the Postal Service will continue to deliver packages six days a week. The plan, which is aimed at saving about $2 billion, would start to take effect in August.

The move accentuates one of the agency's strong points -- package delivery has increased by 14 percent since 2010, officials say, while the delivery of letters and other mail has declined with the increasing use of email and other Internet use.

Under the new plan, mail would still be delivered to post office boxes on Saturdays. Post offices now open on Saturdays would remain open on Saturdays.

Over the past several years, the Postal Service has advocated shifting to a five-day delivery schedule for mail and packages -- and it repeatedly but unsuccessfully appealed to Congress to approve the move. Though an independent agency, the service gets no tax dollars for its day-to-day operations but is subject to congressional control.

It was not immediately clear how the service could eliminate Saturday mail without congressional approval.

But the agency clearly thinks it has a majority of the American public on its side regarding the change.

Material prepared for the Wednesday press conference by Patrick R. Donahoe, postmaster general and CEO, says Postal Service market research and other research has indicated that nearly 7 in 10 Americans support the switch to five-day delivery as a way for the Postal Service to reduce costs.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/06/postal-service-to-cut-saturday-mail-to-trim-costs/#ixzz2K7jhTL6z

lildog

With internet and modern technology mail is slowly becoming obsolete.

If you need to communicate with a friend how many people write letters any more?  Instead you call, email, IM or use any number of forms of communication that weren't available 200 years ago.

Even bills are payable online.  You can even set it up so the places you owe money to automatically withdraw without you having to lift a finger.

Most companies shipping goods use UPS or other private shipping company and some of those companies even deliver on Sundays.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: lildog on February 06, 2013, 10:40 AM NHFT
With internet and modern technology mail is slowly becoming obsolete.

If you need to communicate with a friend how many people write letters any more?  Instead you call, email, IM or use any number of forms of communication that weren't available 200 years ago.

Even bills are payable online.  You can even set it up so the places you owe money to automatically withdraw without you having to lift a finger.

Most companies shipping goods use UPS or other private shipping company and some of those companies even deliver on Sundays.

Yeah I know and it's horrible, at least I think so. :P  I have a cheap TracFone, (sp?), that I only use once in a blue moon, I don't pay bills online either, I still write letters and I don't have a microwave either.   I like to keep my life to "back then" as much as possible, except for the internet, I love that. :-\

I also question the kids on what 70's songs I'm listening to and who sings it so the past doesn't just fade away. ;D  Most of my kids like 70's music and they know who Bad Company and George Thourougood (sp?), are plus lots more.  I usually get accused of being behind the times but that's where I want to be.  One of my friends laughed at me because I still wear slave bracelets, jeans, and t-shirts.  She said I need to get updated with fashion, I said no thanks. :)