• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Is this new Skype news?

Started by Jim Johnson, March 14, 2013, 09:59 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

After Microsoft acquired Skype in May 2011, it updated its software with a technology allowing "legitimate wiretapping," Maksim Emm, CEO of Peak Systems, told the publication. Since then, any user account can be switched to a special mode in which the encryption keys that were previously generated on a user's mobile device or computer would be generated on Skype's server.

Another expert elaborated that "for a couple of years" the intelligence agencies can not only listen, but also determine a user's location.

http://rt.com/news/skype-wiretapping-intelligence-agencies-237/

Tom Sawyer

Hey if you want all those big gooberment contracts you have to be willing to sell out people's privacy!

Microsoft is the gooberment's lap dog.

Raineyrocks

Is skype a camera that is built into a laptop?

KBCraig

Quote from: Raineyrocks on March 16, 2013, 08:40 AM NHFT

Skype is a video chat service. It can be used with the built in cameras or external cameras.

But, just having a camera doesn't mean you have Skype. You have to sign up for it.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on March 16, 2013, 06:06 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on March 16, 2013, 08:40 AM NHFT

Skype is a video chat service. It can be used with the built in cameras or external cameras.

But, just having a camera doesn't mean you have Skype. You have to sign up for it.

Oh, okay, thanks KB :)    My daughter Brandie has a laptop and I just found out that she video chats but she didn't sign up for anything, so I don't know what that's about.  I'll have to watch how she does it because I'm not sure if I like the idea or not either.
My sister asked me to get a web cam so we could talk "live" and I said, "Isn't that what we do on the phone anyway"?  I mean it's not like we are dead while we are talking and I already know what she looks like. :-\

KBCraig

We have iPhones, so we try to Facetime every day while the family is in NH and I'm still in Texas.

There are also video chat featuress on Google and Facebook.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on March 25, 2013, 09:06 AM NHFT
We have iPhones, so we try to Facetime every day while the family is in NH and I'm still in Texas.

There are also video chat featuress on Google and Facebook.

I don't understand those iPhones for the life of me, my sister has one and is in love with it.  I'm still trying to figure out the stupid Tracfone I had to get because my ancient, bubble padded  one died.   I guess it's nice but it would make me sad I think because I'd really want to be with the people I was seeing even more.  At least that's how I feel about it without ever trying it. :-\

I know when I check my gmail this chat thing comes up but I don't know what to do with it.