New Hampshire Underground

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Underground Wiki

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ben Stone shows how Civ Dis is "IN the system" activism, ie, ineffectual/counter  (Read 272 times)

jaqeboy

• Enemy of the State
    • Alternatives Expo

Here's Ben Stone's article laying out how civil disobedience is "in the system" and ineffectual / counter-productive to libertarian goals. This is basically what I've been saying privately for uh, decades. I try not to criticize movement activists publicly, though.

Here's the conclusion:
Both of these definitions regard civil disobedience as a rejections of a specific law, but an endorsement of the existing system as a whole, because the activist not only expects, but accepts punishment as part of the demonstration. It is an anticipated part of activism inside the system. So, no matter the intention of the anarchist, an act of civil disobedience is an act of protest, but ultimately an act of submission to the authority of the government.

Civil disobedience is in the same category as voting, petitioning, lobbying, speaking at a town hall, writing letters to representatives, political donations, volunteering for a political campaign, jury nullification and others. Civil disobedience doesn’t fulfill the long term goal of the anarchist (libertarian).

and here's the article:
http://dailyanarchist.com/2013/09/21/beyond-civil-disobedience/

I hope Ben's doing well. I heard he had a stroke or something.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:33 PM NHFT by jaqeboy »

Russell Kanning

• Cardinal Canning
  • Administrator
  • Enemy of the State
  • The Nonviolent Revolution starts here

I guess depending on how you define civil disobedience.
Nice to see you stepping up to the plate and swinging away.

jaqeboy

• Enemy of the State
    • Alternatives Expo

Hi, Rusel  ;D
Hope I don't strike out, eh?

I guess depending on how you define civil disobedience.
Nice to see you stepping up to the plate and swinging away.

Free libertarian

• Just Rubbing Edges With The Grid
  • Revolutionary

Well alot of people have tried being civilly obedient and that didn't work either.   ;D

jaqeboy

• Enemy of the State
    • Alternatives Expo

Well alot of people have tried being civilly obedient and that didn't work either.   ;D

So now time to really go outside the system and create the alternativew, eh?  Come to AltExpo#15, man!
https://www.facebook.com/events/399312520215533/
Share some of your wisdom with us - we've got lots of space and a great crew of people wanting to hear from you - join in!

or help financially support it with a few bucks if you can't come down:
http://www.gofundme.com/altexpo15
Pages: [1]   Go Up