• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Holy Libertarian Tapestry Batman

Started by Tom Sawyer, June 30, 2014, 09:43 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Holy Libertarian Tapestry Batman

PorcFest was a real good time, we'd especially like to thank all the folks that made us feel so welcome and shared their hospitality with us. PatK and his bottomless beer cooler, Jim and Lauren's bottomless coffee pot, all the nice treatment by the crew at the Grafton Embassy on and on the list would go. Seeing folks that aren't close friends, but you remember each other from years previous.

It's encouraging to see the beautiful tapestry of characters this movement is made up of. The vegan hippy getting along with the Tea Party conservative. Buzz's Big Gay Dance Party with lots of straight folks letting their freak flag fly. The Christians and the stripper dome co-existing.

The boy was up and out of the tent a 6:30 am and I'd only see him a few minutes a day... Are you eating and drinking son? OK continue with the fun.  8)

Some of the best memories are from the unexpected gems... Music is always something I seek out and enjoy. The Meadows Brothers were really talented singer guitarists, as was Marcus the One Man Band. The guy that did the really wild and funny Karaoke rendition of It's Raining Men, I laughed so hard I couldn't breath or see through the tears. The rave kind of dance on Wednesday evening was cool... the silhouettes of the dancers against the lighting and fog machine, each individual had their own style and groove going. Attractive women... there were so many I actually saw two collide.  ;D 8)
Dang, dancing, attractive women and tons of families... is this really a libertarian event?  :D

dalebert

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on June 30, 2014, 09:43 PM NHFT
Dang, dancing, attractive women and tons of families... is this really a libertarian event?  :D

That should be the tag line right there!

Pat K

Always good to see the Maine folk, the Grafton folk, Dale(even if he is starting to look older) and all the folk at Proc Fest.

Russell Kanning

somewhere there is a libertarian convention discussing how Porcfest couldn't be a real libertarian event for just those reasons. :)

that is way cool that you guys had that much fun :)

I am glad to hear that the Grafton wagon train was fun

dalebert

KBCraig

It was fun bumping into those Mississippi River childhood sweethearts at random.  ;D

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on July 01, 2014, 09:59 PM NHFT
It was fun bumping into those Mississippi River childhood sweethearts at random.  ;D

It was nice to see ya'll as well.  :)

Tom Sawyer

Inside the libertarian version of Burning Man: Guns, booze and bitcoin
Washington Post article

Crypto hit piece. Glad it was reported on, just wished the clever/snarky city slicker had been a little more fair. He can defend most of what he says as factual, it's the more subtle slanders that bug me. Many of the commenters seized upon those and proceed with bigoted, ignorant, violent, hateful thoughts.

Tom Sawyer

My comment to the article...

QuoteI've been, with my family, to most of the Free State Project's Porcupine Festivals. So unlike most of the hate spewing commenters I speak from first hand knowledge. I've found the events to be remarkably friendly, civil and fun. Never had anything stolen, never had even a harsh word spoken towards us. Sure if you are hanging around the fire at midnight people are partying, but the incidence of people causing trouble is almost none. Can you say that about any other large gathering you've been to.

Ben Terris's version of events can be backed up factual, but he subtly twists things to support his bias.

There were a large number of women, children and families in attendance. Our son had a wonderful time and celebrated his birthday with cupcakes to share. I guess children playing isn't as interesting as trying to point out the more interesting characters. I don't even fault him for that, to a guy living in "The Death Star on the Potomac" people that don't worship the powers that be probably creates a case of cognitive dissonance.

His worst sin is befriending people and then slighting them afterwards. Although I've warned folks to be wary of "reporters". I've been to events and then read the "reporters" account. They seem to come into things with the story, then find the "facts' that back it up. 

I wonder if he feels any remorse for the hate his mischaracterization gives license to people spouting? What other group of people could you get away with suggesting they be sent out to sea to die etc.

It used to be you could move out into the country side and be under less regulation and control. Not anymore, the control freaks and busy bodies have taken over America. When was the last time you heard someone say, regarding someone they didn't necessarily agree with,"It's a free country, he can do what he wants." 

If you believe in live and let live, which doesn't even go as far as the State motto of NH "Live Free or Die". Consider checking out the Free State Project.

Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Wrote a thank you e-mail to the author of The Washington Free Beacon story.

QuoteCJ Ciaramella,
Thanks for the coverage of Porcfest. I thought your article was a pretty fair representation of the event and it's participants, unlike Ben Terris of the Washington Post's crypto-hitpiece.

"The one exception to this free market utopia is booze. Alcohol sales were banned a few years ago after the campground discovered that nine year olds were being used as a liquor delivery service."
Just a small correction, this refers to a NPR story where a child provided a beer to a customer. But, as I understand it, the reason that alcohol sales were stopped was the campground was threatened by both the state liquor control folks and (get this) the FBI. Libertarians respect property rights and the campground certainly has the right to ask the organizers to prevent the activity.

Over all, well done article. You covered some of the more scintillating aspects with humor and balance. You got it.

Thanks,
Roger

Russell Kanning

It is good to know that no money changed hands for beer at this porcfest. ;)

Don't you love the government guys ..... if you outlaw sales of booze at a big party .... it probably just gets given out. :)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 03, 2014, 10:28 PM NHFT
It is good to know that no money changed hands for beer at this porcfest. ;)

Don't you love the government guys ..... if you outlaw sales of booze at a big party .... it probably just gets given out. :)

PatK can'r out run me so I could catch him for brews.  :D

Moonshine, weed etc. were all available if someone was so inclined.

We were distributing cupcakes... no, completely innocent cupcakes.  ;D

Russell Kanning

I was in heavy pot country last night ..... Missoula Montana .... Rich Angell's old stomping grounds. Our truck stop is nice and attracts hitchhikers and their recreational smoking. :)

btw I was going to call you a few minutes ago but thought it would be too late. :) Then the wind tried to blow me over.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on July 03, 2014, 10:21 PM NHFT
Wrote a thank you e-mail to the author of The Washington Free Beacon story.

Thanks,
Roger

Who?  ;D