• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

You think you moved to NH for "liberty"?

Started by Jay, November 16, 2015, 07:13 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

eglove

Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 21, 2015, 07:59 AM NHFT
I generally agree in general...

I don't have anything to add to what Jim said... I just wanted to quote him.

Anyway. It could be true, or what you're saying could just be a generalization that makes sense no matter what. We're all weird, so it's easy to say that's why we moved. Correlations and causations and what not. Maybe this is all a false consensus. (Shameless plug.)

It's as good a theory as anything else. But I don't think you're going to accurately universalize why everyone moved anytime soon. What is this a hive mind?

Jay

Tom Sawyer

Libertarians are a self selected group. The pioneers are likely the most determined or the craziest or both.

I used to videotape LP conferences for a friend of mine. After doing a couple of them, my impression was that they were some of the most intelligent and principled people I'd been around. But, I also noted that there was a certain number of pretty dang weird people. Social misfits, people that wanted to stop the proceedings and endlessly argue points of order, arguing to the death about minutiae and ignoring the macro.

Can't tell you the number of times that one of the oddest people in the room would sit down in front of the camera position, in the shot, and then proceed to spend the whole time ruffling through papers and their "important" notes calling attention to themselves and almost upstaging the speaker. The kind of person that could walk into a conversation while folks were socializing and be a real conversation killer.

Finally I had to ask my friend if he thought there were a lot of crazies in the movement. He agreed there were. But, the same can be said of a group of liberals or conservatives.

My only concern is that some people seemed to think that quantity matters more than quality. Especially the core group should be able to show others that their proposed approach to a better world can actually work.

Jay

Quote from: eglove on November 21, 2015, 10:19 AM NHFT
It's as good a theory as anything else. But I don't think you're going to accurately universalize why everyone moved anytime soon.

Well, of course not. But, I can say that at least 90% of people I've gotten to know well enough in NH fit into the generalizations I presented. Maybe it's the people I pick to hang out with, lol.

Jay

Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 21, 2015, 07:59 AM NHFTbut your statement does not dismiss "I moved for Liberty." If anything, it strengthens the position.

A better summation of what I wrote might be "people move to try to be more at peace with their surroundings".

Jay

Quote from: MaineShark on November 21, 2015, 07:57 AM NHFT
Even among those who move here to be near others who "think like them," the issue does not tend to me that they decide their new associates are "too weird" - it's that they decide that things are so much better here (compared to wherever they left) that nothing more is necessary, and they just fade out.

True, I know several people that otherwise don't exist to "the movement" who don't get involved and just do their own thing quite well. A conundrum, because it's exactly the "quality" people you'd want potential movers to know about.

FYI, I was just trying to get some thoughts out of my head here, not make absolutist definitive statements, and welcome the criticism.

jerryswife

For me, the biggest reason to move is the people in the FSP.  There are many drawbacks: colder winters, no Wegmans, distance from family, crappy roads etc. But the opportunity to be around people who are smart and articulate and kind and supportive and are really a welcoming community is something that is rare and very valuable.

When Jer and I were up there recently and got to see many of our friends, it was a truly restorative experience.  Thank you.

Russell Kanning