• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

You think you moved to NH for "liberty"?

Started by Jay, November 16, 2015, 07:13 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

It hit me yesterday, after 12 years, that what the real driving factor that causes folks to move isn't what you think is the obvious. It's not really "community" either in the way you've been probably thinking about it.

If you take "freedom" out of the equation, what would be the main factor that brought us all together?

Kind of requires thinking differently about the whole situation, but damn it makes a lot of sense. Especially the level of denial some people have about it.

I'll wait a bit before posting my thesis, 'cause I want to read your speculations on what it might be.

dalebert

Take freedom out of the picture? That's what brought me here and what I always assumed brought others. There are exceptions, like the free-loaders and joiners. There aren't that many but they seem to be the most attention-getting. I had thoughts of it being a better environment for some of my small business plans but that relates back to freedom so it's really hard for me to give another reason. It sure wasn't the weather.

Jay

Think more "why you are into freedom to begin with" than freedom itself.

eglove

Quote from: Jay on November 17, 2015, 04:00 PM NHFT
Think more "why you are into freedom to begin with" than freedom itself.

I don't like stealing?

I've no idea where this thread is going or how to respond... but I'll patiently wait for the big reveal. :)

Tom Sawyer

Aren't we here for the chicks. Well exempting Dalebert of course.

Jim Johnson

Just don't tell me I'm here because I did something stupid.

.....the truth hurts worst of all.

Jay

dalebert

Quote from: Jay on November 18, 2015, 06:58 AM NHFT
Ain't about gettin' laid or regrets.  :glasses1:

Definitely not. One of the biggest hurdles for me was the realization that my dating options were going to be reduced. I didn't know how bad it would be but I was not delusional about that. I left L.A. and Atlanta to come to ***king NH. I was motivated to leave L.A. to escape what seemed like preeminent economic disaster and to a lesser degree by just being fed up with crowds and traffic and the big city. Atlanta was still too much (for my age) and didn't hold the nostalgic charm that I expected upon moving back. It had changed so much. So there wasn't anything holding me there.

That said, I see these folks who seem to be constantly unsettled and moving. They might move out of state. They may move a lot while they're here. I feel like they're running away from something but it's attached to them. They're like a cat and someone tied something to its tail as a joke. They're never going to escape it. They have to face that whatever they're looking for isn't a place out in the world but something in themselves they're trying to find.

blackie

The Shire.  Come for the freedom, stay for the drama.

Jay

Quote from: dalebert on November 18, 2015, 08:17 AM NHFT
That said, I see these folks who seem to be constantly unsettled and moving. They might move out of state. They may move a lot while they're here. I feel like they're running away from something but it's attached to them. They're like a cat and someone tied something to its tail as a joke. They're never going to escape it. They have to face that whatever they're looking for isn't a place out in the world but something in themselves they're trying to find.

Aha, yep. And that's why I made my statement about some being in denial. They are a small portion of folks that moved, yet they are a big clue to the overall "theme" of my observations. They also tend to self-medicate, but what scares them enough to do so?   :icon_pirat:

Jay

Quote from: blackie on November 18, 2015, 03:39 PM NHFT

I kinda think it's the other way around.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: blackie on November 18, 2015, 03:39 PM NHFT

;D
Well to put it into proper prospective. My families welfare has been improved significantly by association with the non annoying folks. I mean I've been a bit of an ass and people still stayed by me.  8)

I think what someone's motivation for their decisions matters. And I'm pretty unforgiving when I recognize (trigger word) self aggrandizement at others expense. My dad was a sociopathic personality, he was a successful business man and a great dad in many ways. He lacked something from his childhood, lived on the streets and joined the army at 15. He obviously had a hole in his early development.

Jay

So, the idea that appeared in my head was that you really moved here because you're likely just plain weirder than normal people. You've probably felt like an outsider all your life, for whatever reason. Maybe a lot of us have a bit of the Asperger's so we're naturally predisposed to logical thinking vs. emotional. You may have been excluded from peer groups when you were young, so you tend to like to do things on your own. So the idea of "freedom and liberty" naturally makes sense to us because of both the intellectual and individualism aspects, even if it took you years to get to this point. There's a general personality type I'm referring to here, prone to defy irrational authority figures and rules without victims.

And here comes this opportunity to move to a place where other people think like you!

It's more complicated than that, but I hope you get the gist and all the permutations expound in your cerebral matter quite nicely.

Of course, you go gung ho for a while because you've never really been around so many folks that are your kind of weird. Then a strange thing starts to happen and reality sets in, and you think some of these fuckers are really annoying as shit and are way weirder than me. Or maybe that person who keeps promoting every viable Republican candidate, well, he's just not weird enough. So you eventually settle on a small group of friends who you can stand to be around. And then you're pretty much at the same state of existence as before you moved, tiny groups of peers complaining about the "others". Probably a little more worse for wear, because it's a hell of a lot colder in winter than where you came from.

But where does that leave things, and can the situation be remedied...

MaineShark

While that might apply to some subset of movers, my experience does not lead me to believe that it applies to a large subset, let alone a subset large enough to justify the sort of universal statement that you made.  The subset you describe happens to be loud, but noise level is not the same as numbers.

Even among those who move here to be near others who "think like them," the issue does not tend to me that they decide their new associates are "too weird" - it's that they decide that things are so much better here (compared to wherever they left) that nothing more is necessary, and they just fade out.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Jay on November 21, 2015, 12:09 AM NHFT
So, the idea that appeared in my head was that you really moved here because you're likely just plain weirder than normal people. You've probably felt like an outsider all your life, for whatever reason. Maybe a lot of us have a bit of the Asperger's so we're naturally predisposed to logical thinking vs. emotional. You may have been excluded from peer groups when you were young, so you tend to like to do things on your own. So the idea of "freedom and liberty" naturally makes sense to us because of both the intellectual and individualism aspects, even if it took you years to get to this point. There's a general personality type I'm referring to here, prone to defy irrational authority figures and rules without victims.

And here comes this opportunity to move to a place where other people think like you!

It's more complicated than that, but I hope you get the gist and all the permutations expound in your cerebral matter quite nicely.

Of course, you go gung ho for a while because you've never really been around so many folks that are your kind of weird. Then a strange thing starts to happen and reality sets in, and you think some of these fuckers are really annoying as shit and are way weirder than me. Or maybe that person who keeps promoting every viable Republican candidate, well, he's just not weird enough. So you eventually settle on a small group of friends who you can stand to be around. And then you're pretty much at the same state of existence as before you moved, tiny groups of peers complaining about the "others". Probably a little more worse for wear, because it's a hell of a lot colder in winter than where you came from.

But where does that leave things, and can the situation be remedied...

I generally agree in general... but your statement does not dismiss "I moved for Liberty." If anything, it strengthens the position.

If one does not have a larger group of liberty people to associate with here in New Hampshire, that's a personal problem.

...and you are missing a perfect opportunity to tell a conservative that his head is up his ass.