• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Maybe the sky isn't falling

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 15, 2016, 10:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

I haven't been hearing to much Libertarian on Libertarian hate speech out here on the road.
see ... not falling this week

jerryswife

[/quote]

I was driving last night and that was the only thing my radio could pick up, so I listened to some of it.   It was like taking a multiple choice test in school, where you knew all of the answers could be challenged because the question was misleading and formed wrong from the get go.   
[/quote]

I always hated multiple choice questions, especially on IQ and psychological tests.  On both, it was always obvious what the "right" answer was but often the real right answer wasn't an option, sort of a metaphor for life.

This is an interesting thread, particularly in its wild swings from tentative optimism to soul-crushing pessimism.

Russell Kanning

We might be headed to where the sky is falling soon

either flashlights from PA or generators from MA down to FL

Tom Sawyer

Only Star Trek fans will understand.  ;D

Russell Kanning

we all are potential victims

maybe we need to have Kirk ripe and shirt and take one for the team

Free libertarian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 07, 2016, 08:40 AM NHFT
we all are potential victims

maybe we need to have Kirk ripe and shirt and take one for the team

Good idea.  Wasn't it Capt. Kirk who kicked butt on some kind of leader of the Lizard People in one the episodes?  I mean that Lizard guy had sharp teeth and who knows how bad is breath was ? 

I think we should all thank Capt. Kirk for his service.  (smiley emoticon)

Tom Sawyer

Where are the incriminating files!
No one will keep me from office!

Due to her Parkinson's Hillary is having difficulty maintaining her shape shifting cloak. Her Lizard People identity is revealed.

Erroneous_Logic

I wonder what the lizardfolks are going to do about the dollar crash? Bitcoin up to 615+ and real estate, treasuries, and stocks are playing a fun and wild up and down game. Beans and rice ftw.

Tom Sawyer

Here is a video that crosses paths between my "tentative optimism" and Señor Logic's "fun and wild up and down game".
Opportunity indeed.

Trump vs Clinton - The Window of Opportunity
https://youtu.be/CWK4PMcQeR8

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 07, 2016, 09:19 PM NHFT
Here is a video that crosses paths between my "tentative optimism" and Señor Logic's "fun and wild up and down game".
Opportunity indeed.

(I am officially channeling Saint Lloyd in this post)

" ...thought the stumbling drunk guy at the beer store in the video was Zim (from the mancave).  But then realized, he drinks hardstuff and the stumbling guy had beer".     

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Free libertarian on October 08, 2016, 08:34 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 07, 2016, 09:19 PM NHFT
Opportunity indeed.

(I am officially channeling Saint Lloyd in this post)

" ...thought the stumbling drunk guy at the beer store in the video was Zim (from the mancave).  But then realized, he drinks hardstuff and the stumbling guy had beer".   

First off... We miss Lloyd.

Amazing determination to get more beer. Most would just pass out already.  ;D

Some have given in and given up, drinking and drugging their way through the "doom" they see. Our side has done a great job of showing all that is wrong... And granted there is a lot that has gone wrong. But, we need to see the opportunities. The rest of the culture is starting to catch up and see what we have already figured out.

Erroneous_Logic

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 08, 2016, 09:30 AM NHFT
The rest of the culture is starting to catch up and see what we have already figured out.

Yup. But the problem is, people wake up at different speeds. and most people are waking up slowly. My concern is that we'll get enough 'change' that most people will be happy and go back to sleep, and then it's just another long slow march into history cycle n+1.
I also worry about getting shot.

Tom Sawyer

One of the two idiots could start WW3 as well.

If we survive, and we have to plan like we will.  ;D  People need to hear of a positive alternative to the way it has been. For that reason libertarians need to propagate the idea of a "bright and shining future" that we can, and I think will, have.

blackie

Got a mouse in your pocket?

Why do you think people are "waking up", and what is your plan to fix the world?

Tom Sawyer

Less this

More of this

I don't have to have a plan to fix the world it will spontaneously improve once it is allowed to.

For those who are having trouble seeing the positive you might consider working on your amygdala...   ;D

Our Brain's Negative Bias

QuoteWhy do insults once hurled at us stick inside our skull, sometimes for decades? Why do some people have to work extra hard to ward off depression?

The answer is, for the same reason political smear campaigns outpull positive ones. Nastiness just makes a bigger impact on our brains.

And that is due to the brain's "negativity bias": Your brain is simply built with a greater sensitivity to unpleasant news. The bias is so automatic that it can be detected at the earliest stage of the brain's information processing.

How Happy Brains Respond to Negative Things

QuoteHumans have a negativity bias, a tendency to focus on threats. But this research suggests that people may be able to compensate for it by consciously trying to focus more on the positive. As the authors put it in their paper, "while people do automatically attend to negative stimuli, given the proper ability and motivation, they can show the same sensitivity to positive stimuli."