• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

NH Katherine

You've GOT to read this article! You will be rolling on the floor!!

Political climate unfriendly to ID devices, backers say
GovExec.com - USA
http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=33885&dcn=todaysnews

Here's my favorite line:

>"We're scared to go to New Hampshire," he said. "They have gun racks on their motorcycles.
>They don't want anyone telling them what to do."

We're really making the RFID industry and ID-card-pushers mad / scared / apoplectic / ridiculously pathetic.

I'm debating this Atkinson guy in two weeks at CFP (http://www.cfp2006.org). I already debated Varn on NHPR and listened to him testify twice here in NH on various bills. He lied his way egregiously through each event.

-K.

==============================

Political climate unfriendly to ID devices, backers say

By Michael Martinez, National Journal's Technology Daily
Widespread misinformation about radio-frequency identification technology and high-tech identification cards has subverted federal and state legislation to modernize America's ID systems, a panel of industry officials and experts said Wednesday.

At the Smart Cards in Government Conference, advocates for RFID and tech-based "smart cards" said mandates to use modern technologies would dramatically improve the nation's security infrastructure. But resistance to such measures and technologies is swelling, they said.

Marc-Anthony Signorino, the director of technology policy at the tech group AeA, said that a fundamental misunderstanding of RFID spurred a series of poorly written bills in California, Illinois, New Hampshire and New Mexico to limit its use.

He said lawmakers have complicated measures to limit RFID usage because they have tried to make too many exemptions for uses they enjoy, such as smart cards for accessing highway toll lanes. "The legislation ends up looking like Swiss cheese," Signorino said.

Signorino said the political climate in New Hampshire has made it especially difficult for the industry to make a case for itself. The Granite State has been particularly active on the ID front. House lawmakers there last month passed a bill to reject a 2005 federal mandate for standard driver's licenses.

"We're scared to go to New Hampshire," he said. "They have gun racks on their motorcycles. They don't want anyone telling them what to do."

Robert Atkinson, the president of the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, said RFID and smart-card advocates are facing an uphill battle because their opponents already have shaped the debate. "The ground has been so poisoned by the other side that I think it's going to be tough to move forward," Atkinson said.

The movement against RFID and federal driver's licensing standards has garnered support from all areas of the political spectrum, according to Atkinson.

He said an "unholy alliance" of groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union and the Eagle Forum, which is led by conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly, has choked the ability of the technology industry to gather political support. "This isn't a group of fringe players," he said.

Atkinson said he does not expect the Homeland Security Department to require embedded computer chips driver's licenses because detractors of the mandate have convinced enough people that such chips will do little to improve national security. "I just don't think it's going to happen," he said.

Richard Varn, the president of RJV Consulting and a former chief technology officer, said smart-card advocates should focus on convincing lawmakers to punish bad behavior instead of banning technology. He said lawmakers throughout the country need to "beef up" cyber-crime efforts.

"They are not investing sufficient money compared to the size of the crime to efficiently combat it," he said.

This document is located at http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0406/042006tdpm3.htm

Kat Kanning

That is hilarious.  You've got them scared, Katherine!   ;D

Tom Sawyer

Looks like the weather is on our side. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Russell Kanning

KBCraig

Quote from: NH Katherine on April 21, 2006, 02:22 PM NHFT

>"We're scared to go to New Hampshire," he said. "They have gun racks on their motorcycles.
>They don't want anyone telling them what to do."

:laughing4:

:icon_thumleft: ;D :icon_thumright:

Friday

Roger, the banner turned out awesome!  ;D

Lloyd, in case no one responded, I think the metal detector is a good idea  :glasses7:

"To those about to rock rally, FIRE!  :violent5:
We salute you..."

:protest:  :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest:

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Friday on April 21, 2006, 06:35 PM NHFT
Roger, the banner turned out awesome!  ;D

Lloyd, in case no one responded, I think the metal detector is a good idea  :glasses7:

"To those about to rock rally, FIRE!  :violent5:
We salute you..."

:protest:  :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest: :brave: :protest:

Glad the banner worked out well 8)

And an AC~DC quote very 8)

John

Friday, I'll bring my tricorn' hat (adorned w feathers from the Boston Tea Party Ship & Museum) wich you are free to use for the day ...

I'll also have my cusomized Gadsen (big surprize), & a New Hampshire state flag (on a pole}, & another Gadsen (for others who made need one) ...

Michael Fisher

Quote from: NH Katherine on April 21, 2006, 02:22 PM NHFT
http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=33885&dcn=todaysnews

>"We're scared to go to New Hampshire," he said. "They have gun racks on their motorcycles. They don't want anyone telling them what to do."

That's a quote worthy for the front page.  ;D

Russell Kanning

Kat Kanning

Well, call us or just show up by 9:30 if you want a ride, Nick.  357-2049

Russell Kanning

Carpooling at our house begins at 9am and hits the road at 9:30. Concord or bust!

d_goddard

Great turn-out (150+), great speakers, great event!

This thing will live or die based on what 24 NH Senators vote in the next 72 hours.
The Republican leadership is telling them to vote "NO" on 1582!
The only way this will go through the Republican-controlled Senate is if the Republican Senators get such an outpouring of phone calls and emails from their constituents, that they can go back to the Republican leadership and say, "this is a real phenomenon -- we have no choice but to vote yes!"

There's a super-handy "contact your Senator" section on the website:
http://www.granitestateid.com/action.html

I'm getting my neighbors, friends, and casual acquaintances to call.
We win or lose in the next few days...

Dave Ridley

i counted 170 people, 3 documentary video crews and one mainstream press crew - from the concord monitor.  The mainstream press turnout was the weak link in this chain.

The Monitor folks got a great shot however of our "brownshirt checkpoint"  and if that gets out into the  papers around the country, we're set.

Dave Ridley