• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ravelkinbow

because of us and the press, killing it on the floor doesn't kill the senators in the committee, the other way it makes them look bad

John

I'll have many days off right before next election day, and I intend to do most of my work on those days based upon this vote.  I very much look forward to supporting those who do the right thing!

I'm thinking that there will be a roll call vote - and that the results will NEVER, EVER be forgotten.  (So, future elections will be influenced as well.)

I can agree-to-disagree on a lot of things.  THIS AIN"T ONE OF THEM!

If I can make it Wednesday, I'll be carying/flying a brand new New Hampshire state flag (rather than the Gadsen.)  If it does not happen until Thursday I'll be there bright and early.

d_goddard

Quote from: John on April 30, 2006, 05:30 AM NHFT
If I can make it Wednesday, I'll be carying/flying a brand new New Hampshire state flag (rather than the Gadsen.)  If it does not happen until Thursday I'll be there bright and early.
Tuesday (tomorrow) is possibly the most important day to be there. That gives the Senators more time to notice & think about all these people who are watching this vote closely!

I like simple "Yes on 1582" signs.
The fact that we'll be watching the roll call carefully and taking action accordingly is implicit in the fact that we're taking the time to show up with the signs. Senators understand that plenty well :)

Kat Kanning

Tom Sawyer

8)

And it's everyone who made it happens movie...
combat cameraman/editor is all I am

I'll follow ya'll... hope the path leads to a brighter future for my son (NH native).

aries

Alright I don't know if it's buried in this thread but I've never done this before so could somebody help me:

My friend and I are going to go down to Concord with some signs.

1) Where should we park?
2) When should we be there?
3) Where do we go?

I suppose I'll want to meet up with some of you guys there.

But we will be able to go!  :)

d_goddard

Quote from: aries on May 01, 2006, 03:25 PM NHFT
My friend and I are going to go down to Concord with some signs.
Groovy!!
Please wear a big red hat so I will know you are the guy who posts are "Aries" :D

1) Where should we park?
I recommend the municipal parking garage at the intersection of School and Green streets.
Bring about $5.00 in change to be on the safe side.

2) When should we be there?
7:30 AM would be ideal; the idea is to have the signs up as the Senators drive in, and they start trickling in by 7:45 (though most don't show up till 8:00 or 8:30)

3) Where do we go?
Good question. I expect we'll be pretty visible, since that's the whole idea :)
PM me and I'll give you my cell#

davemincin

Word I get the folks will be meeting on the steps or entrance to the Legislature.  Big building with a gold dome on top, can't really miss it. :)

Pat McCotter

Gold dome on top - State House.
Behind the State House - Legislative Office Building.

Which is it?

davemincin

Pat...Both the House and Senate assemble in the Big Building with the Gold Dome on top to do their voting!  That is were the folks will be, outside, then move the the Senate gallery to watch the vote.  The Legislative Office Building in the back is were the House has it's hearing.

Please excuse, if my directions were not understandable. :)

Pat McCotter

But d_goddard was talking Tuesday. The Senate is not meeting in session on Tuesday.

d_goddard

Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 01, 2006, 06:59 PM NHFT
But d_goddard was talking Tuesday.
You can call me Denis :)

I figure the idea is to be visible as the Senators drive in to the House, so we'll be visible, only 2-3 places we are likely to be :)
Jenn/ravelkinbow is pretty much organizing this thing, so I'll let her pick the place, but I assume it'll be either:
a) in front of the big-gold-dome building
b) on the sidewalk behind the State House and the LOB (ie, back of the Big-Gold-Dome thingy)
c) at the municipal parking garage at the intersection between School and Green streets

TackleTheWorld

ID Law Stirs Passionate Protest in N.H.
With Costumes and Quotations, State Opposes Federal Plan

By David A. Fahrenthold
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, May 1, 2006; A05

CONCORD, N.H. -- Those concerned about a new federal plan to overhaul the issuing of driver's licenses have two fairly distinct ways of showing it. One of them involves task forces, letter-writing and groups such as the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators. The other involves protesters dressed like Nazis and politicians quoting Patrick Henry.

Anyone familiar with the revolution-tinged politics of New Hampshire can guess which one is happening here.

"The war on our civil liberties is actually begun," New Hampshire state Rep. Neal M. Kurk (R) told his colleagues recently, borrowing from Henry's famous "Liberty or Death" speech to condemn the license plan and the U.S. government in place of the British crown. He continued: "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"

Now, this state legislature is poised to formally reject the new license rules, which are aimed at screening out terrorists and illegal immigrants, but have been criticized as a logistical nightmare and the beginning of a national ID card. As a political circus has unfolded here in Concord, everyone, including libertarians, evangelical Christians and state bureaucrats, has been paying attention.

"Everybody's watching," said Jim Harper at the Cato Institute in Washington, who objects to the new rules as a federal intrusion into personal privacy. His hope: "Even one state refusing to participate basically will cause the system to crumble."

The controversy in New Hampshire surrounds a federal law called the Real ID Act, which was approved last year after it was tacked on to a bill funding the war in Iraq and relief for tsunami victims. Its principal backer, Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner Jr. (R-Wis.), said he wanted to close the kinds of loopholes that allowed some of the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackers to obtain official identification.

The bill requires states to check whether driver's license applicants are in the country legally, and to require documents showing their birth date, Social Security number and home address. The act also requires that states find a way to verify that the documents are valid.

The deadline is May 2008. If states cannot meet the new requirements by then, the bill says, their licenses may not be accepted as identification at airport security screenings, federal buildings and nuclear plants.

Groups of state-level officials have protested that the act requires sophisticated computer networks that don't exist now and that meeting the deadline could be overwhelmingly expensive or simply impossible.

For now, their criticism has been measured while they wait for the Department of Homeland Security to work out key details of the license plan. It's still unclear, for instance, whether drivers who have a license already will have to be rescreened, or whether there will need to be a single federal computer database containing everyone's license information.

New Hampshire, though, is not the waiting kind of state.

In January, several legislators here introduced a bill that called the Real ID measure "contrary and repugnant" to both the U.S. and New Hampshire constitutions, and vowed that "New Hampshire shall not participate in a national identification card system."

At first, the bill seemed destined to fail, voted down in committee. But then, in early March, Kurk stood up to defend it on the House floor, citing the new federal rules as the beginning of creeping federal intrusions.

"We care more for our liberties than to meekly hand over to the federal government the potential to enumerate, track, identify and eventually control," he said, before quoting Henry and his state's defiant motto, "Live Free or Die."

That brought the house down, and the bill up: State representatives voted 217 to 84 in favor.

Emboldened by that success, groups opposed to Real ID staged a rally in late April in front of the statehouse where, according to a report in the Concord Monitor, some wore "666" on their foreheads -- indicating their belief that a national system of rules for driver's licenses is a step toward the "mark of the beast" prophesied in the Book of Revelation.

Lauren Canario dressed up in a Nazi-esque khaki uniform and helped run a fake checkpoint where she demanded people's identification.

Real ID "sounds a lot like the old Nazi movies, and we just wanted to illustrate that," she said in an interview last week.

Someplace else, a movement with this kind of stagecraft might be on the political fringe. Here, it has momentum: A spokeswoman for Gov. John Lynch (D) said this week that he will sign the anti-Real ID bill if it gets to him. And on Wednesday morning, a Senate committee unanimously approved the bill, electrifying its supporters in the audience. "This is a wave of freedom that's going to roll across the country," Joel Winters, a leader in the Real ID opposition movement, said afterward.

First, though, it has to roll across the full New Hampshire Senate. There, Senate President Theodore L. Gatsas (R) said he's worried about what will happen if the rest of the country doesn't follow New Hampshire's lead and his state's residents suddenly need a passport to get on domestic flights.

Arguments against the new federal licensing rules "are great things to say," said Gatsas. "But it's an awful jeopardy to put the state in."

AlanM

The article was good. What is with Gatsas? Is he a one-worlder in disguise? Sounds like he is spineless.

aries

Alright so I got directions for where to park. I'll leave around 5:30, so I can be there by 7 and find parking and whatnot.

Me and my friend (who is most likely coming, but if all else fails I will be there alone) will be bringing signs with yet-to-be-determined slogans on them.

I'll give Denis a call if I can't find anyone else there, and find everyone else.

My car will be the one with the thinklibertarian and NHFREE.com bumper stickers ;)