• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

FSP reception in NH

Started by Kat Kanning, December 29, 2004, 11:52 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

I had this question asked of me by a gent in VT:

"For a weekly column of mine in the local paper here,
I'd like to do a follow-up on FSP's reception in NH. I've heard
rumblings about the gentry-left, having moved into NH and taken command in a
good many towns and parts of state govt a few decades back, now objects
to competition from the libertarian side of the aisle: any truth to it,
and is there enough to build a column around?
Thanks, Martin"

Anyone know more about the gentry left in NH?  I can answer a bit about the general reception of the FSP.

AlanM

Well, as I see it, our new Governor was elected in large part because of the support of the gentry left. Same with Shaheen. They are following the Clinton tactic of publicly proclaiming to be a moderate, while quietly pushing the leftist agenda.

Russell Kanning

I have met only 1 person so far that was predisposed to not like the FSP. Other than that, I have gotten only positive comments. :)

Dave Ridley

Can you give us contact info for the guy so we can email him or what not?   also probably good to invite him to this thread if you have his email....

Russell Kanning

I met a woman today who was friendly when I said I moved to NH because of the FSP. She talked about how high taxes are and felt an income tax was coming in NH. The funny thing is that she kindof thinks we need one to pay for education. She didn't want to continue the conversation long after I said that we should be spending less money on the public schools. She also thought that "rich" people don't pay enough in taxes.

davemincin

A gal who is writing her graduate paper on the FSP comes to mind.  She
readily admits to being left leaning, however has promised to do her best to
be fair in her writing.

She has been to a number of our meetings, talked at length to a number
of the folks, and even attended one of our Meet and Greets.

While no doubt she still holds many of her misguided ideas, she did say to me
the other day. "You know I don't agree with all of your ideas, but you are
really nice people," and that's a start, because it affords the opportunity for
a fair exchange of ideas.

At least my thought is many of those on the left, really want the same things
as we do, but are just misguided as to how to attain them.  Agree that many
on the far left are hopelessly lost, but if we seek to open a dialogue, exchanges
ideas, and not always seek to be confrontational,  many of those who currently
oppose us just may become our allies.

Lloyd Danforth

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought there was going to be a party thrown for us in New Hampshire. :(

intergraph19

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 03, 2005, 09:47 AM NHFT
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought there was going to be a party thrown for us in New Hampshire. :(

I think one should be thrown really....I don't have the space for it, but that's not a bad idea...

Russell Kanning

You should throw a party intergraph...the only thing most Free Staters have in common is that we show up for parties.
If you want to get off easy...just plan a party and tell everyone to bring their own food and drink...we will still show up in droves :D
Many of our parties are like that since it is hard to pay for everyone and libertarians don't like to be freeloaders.

intergraph19

Quote from: russellkanning on February 03, 2005, 10:10 PM NHFT
You should throw a party intergraph...the only thing most Free Staters have in common is that we show up for parties.
If you want to get off easy...just plan a party and tell everyone to bring their own food and drink...we will still show up in droves :D
Many of our parties are like that since it is hard to pay for everyone and libertarians don't like to be freeloaders.

But where would I put you all?  My apartment is tiny!  I'm lucky me and my roommate both fit in here at the same time.  :)

jcpliberty

Quote from: intergraph19 on February 04, 2005, 04:27 AM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on February 03, 2005, 10:10 PM NHFT

But where would I put you all?  My apartment is tiny!  I'm lucky me and my roommate both fit in here at the same time.  :)

Wowie!

LOL

JP

Russell Kanning

Well I guess you will just have to come to our parties or have one in the park 8)

intergraph19

Quote from: russellkanning on February 04, 2005, 07:04 AM NHFT
Well I guess you will just have to come to our parties or have one in the park 8)

Yes well, I appriciate the invitation. 

Russell Kanning

If we have any parties going on, we try to post them to the calender, but sometimes we forget.

davemincin

Eric is coming in March 2-8 to lend a hand, perhaps we could put something together over
that weekend?

Also word I get, a Meet and Greet for our newest residents...Margot, Bradley, and Keith is
in the works.