• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Drug War Project

Started by razer7echo, July 10, 2006, 02:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Michael Edelstein is coordinating legislation to fully legalize small amount of MJ (exact amount is being hashed out). Apparently the chairmain of the House Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety has come out saying he'll work with us on this issue. If you don't have Michael's email, contact me (PM or email) and I'll connect you.

Also, the former head of NHORML (New Hampshire Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) is running for House Rep: Phil Greazzo. If you want a MAJOR pro-marijuana guy on the "inside" in government, please help us to help get him elected!! Phil is having a BBQ and fundraiser tomorrow (Sunday 7/16). I'll post a calendar entry in a moment; if you run across this post too late, please do contact Phil anyway and ask how to help his campaign!

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for sharing the encouraging word on this front d.

FTL_Ian

Small amount = 1/4 pound? 

FSPinNY

Quote from: d_goddard on July 15, 2006, 07:29 PM NHFT
Michael Edelstein is coordinating legislation to fully legalize small amount of MJ (exact amount is being hashed out). Apparently the chairmain of the House Committee on Criminal Justice and Public Safety has come out saying he'll work with us on this issue. If you don't have Michael's email, contact me (PM or email) and I'll connect you.

Also, the former head of NHORML (New Hampshire Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) is running for House Rep: Phil Greazzo. If you want a MAJOR pro-marijuana guy on the "inside" in government, please help us to help get him elected!! Phil is having a BBQ and fundraiser tomorrow (Sunday 7/16). I'll post a calendar entry in a moment; if you run across this post too late, please do contact Phil anyway and ask how to help his campaign!

Is Michael coordinating this for NH or where he lives?

tracysaboe

How is Phil Greazzo on other issues?

Tracy

FTL_Ian

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: d_goddard on July 15, 2006, 07:29 PM NHFT
Michael Edelstein is coordinating legislation to fully legalize small amount of MJ (exact amount is being hashed out).

Why not follow exactly what ME did?  Copy their MM bill.  After that, copy their small fine bill.  Then, after NH has the best pot laws in the nation (it already has the most users per capita), we push for Michael's bill (when it is much more likely to pass).

tracysaboe

how about we push for Micheal's bill first -- and then if it does pass, compramise to Maine's versions.

Tracy

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: tracysaboe on July 16, 2006, 10:56 AM NHFT
how about we push for Micheal's bill first -- and then if it does pass, compramise to Maine's versions.

Tracy

How about you tell us what you are talking about?  Oh, and make your sig file shorter...

tracysaboe

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on July 16, 2006, 12:11 PM NHFT
Quote from: tracysaboe on July 16, 2006, 10:56 AM NHFT

Tracy

How about you tell us what you are talking about?  Oh, and make your sig file shorter...

I meant. If it doesn't pass, compramise for the ME version.

Tracy

citizen_142002

I think that every violation of our liberties is an important issue even if one may not be your area of focus. When taking on the drug war it is important to distinguish between advocating the right to use drugs and the use of drugs themselves. I'm not saying that I hold it against someone if they love to smoke pot, but the general public is probably less open hearted. Balancing statistics with philisophical and moral arguments is also important. You want to make a reasoned argument, but it shouldn't be too much of a numbers game.

I think that we can acheive some incrimental sucess in the near term future, so let me know if their are any projects that I can help with.

FTL_Ian

Remember, the "general public" includes the 90 million americans who have smoked pot at least once.  The "general public" includes the roughly one in ten NH residents who admit to being current pot smokers!

Tom Sawyer

Something else to consider regarding the incremental approach. It might be the easiest short term approach, but it might derail the larger reforms necessary.

To decrim. personal possession was the approach used in the mid seventies. It made everyone think that the tide had turned and things would keep going in the right direction. How wrong could we have been.

Until the issue of commerce is addressed the "problems" of prohibition will not change.

d_goddard

Quote from: FSPinNY on July 15, 2006, 11:21 PM NHFT
Is Michael coordinating this for NH or where he lives?
Michael lives in CA but is coordinating this bill in NH.

d_goddard

Quote from: FTL_Ian on July 15, 2006, 10:11 PM NHFT
Small amount = 1/4 pound? 
One of the things being ironed out is talking with the relevant Reps and Senators that might go along with us on this issue, and see what "a small amount" is in their opinon.

Again, it's the head of the House criminal justice committee that's said he's open to this. That's an extremely good position to start from, in terms of actually getting legislation passed.