• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Drug War Project

Started by razer7echo, July 10, 2006, 02:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on July 16, 2006, 02:44 AM NHFT
Why not follow exactly what ME did?
I would have suggested that, too... before I had spent a session closely observing the day-to-day business of the NH legislature.

The key lesson I learned is that in NH, grassroots organization & opinion matters a lot more than it does elsewhere. If 2/3 of the House are flooded with letters, emails and phone calls voicing an opinion, this has much more wight than the fact that another state did a similar thing. Indeed, the argument that Maine, Vermont, Mass, and/or the Feds have passed some law is often used as ammunition against a bill, rather than in support of it! :D

FSPinNY

This Drug War Project seems well worth the effort. Just last week a caller to the FSP was talking about the mj law in NH being much, much worse than her state of NY. She was concerned about that, enough to slow her and even stop her from moving right away. If we can score a victory here, more will move!

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4516

Dreepa

Quote from: FSPinNY on July 16, 2006, 04:34 PM NHFT
Just last week a caller to the FSP was talking about the mj law in NH being much, much worse than her state of NY. She was concerned about that, enough to slow her and even stop her from moving right away. If we can score a victory here, more will move!

That always pisses me off though.  Tell her to move here and HELP CHANGE the laws rather than just tell us to change the law and then she will move. Some much for being an activist.

FTL_Ian

You can come to expect this, Dreepa.

Unfortunately there are going to be lots of people like this.  They want freedom, but will wait for us to do all the work before coming over.

Lame.

KBCraig

If someone finds NY preferable to NH just because of the single issue of marijuana laws, how much help do you think they would be?

FSPinNY

Of the hundred thousand or so who are actively/inactively watching the FSP and NH libertarian activism there are many (most?) who will not move (yet) because of...(fill in the blank) issue or circumstance.  We are different, and are ready to take NH as it is and move as soon as we can make it happen.  She was not yet ready to take the perceived heavy risk - she's real interested and will be watching, learning and changing...  As we progress, more will sign-up and move.  It's just the nature of the 'bell curve'.  It's a learning curve too that folks must go through.

(just heard back from the real estate agent - the property goes on the market in 2 weeks!)

FTL_Ian

Selling the house?  Congrats!  Hmm.. who will make it to NH first...

Dreepa

Quote from: FSPinNY on July 17, 2006, 11:37 AM NHFT
Of the hundred thousand or so who are actively/inactively watching the FSP and NH libertarian activism there are many (most?) who will not move (yet) because of...(fill in the blank) issue or circumstance. 

If they keep watching we will never get to First100 or 20k?

Recumbent ReCycler

Since I don't use it and don't plan to use it, legalizing marijuana is not the most important issue to me,  but I would be willing to actively support a bill that would legalize marijuana or reduce the penalties for growing it, possessing it, or using it at home.

FSPinNY

I think we will be highly successful in our long-term goals. We've won lots of people over because of the NH activity and results over the past year or so. Keep busy! 

P.S. Ian, I will beat you to NH...I'll bet a few beers on it!

FTL_Ian

Quote from: FSPinNY on July 17, 2006, 12:51 PM NHFT

I don't drink, nor am I much of a better.  When's your ETA?  Where are you planning on going?

FSPinNY

Quote from: FTL_Ian on July 17, 2006, 01:08 PM NHFT
Quote from: FSPinNY on July 17, 2006, 12:51 PM NHFT

I don't drink, nor am I much of a better.  When's your ETA?  Where are you planning on going?

Just trying to be social - I don't drink either...  ETA is as soon after the property sells and closes.  NH area - still unknown, but more than likely central southern area.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: FSPinNY on July 17, 2006, 01:23 PM NHFT
Just trying to be social - I don't drink either...  ETA is as soon after the property sells and closes.  NH area - still unknown, but more than likely central southern area.

Hah!  I predict I will beat you.  I am not selling my house, and I already have one in Keene.

My element of unpredictibility is Mark, my co-host.  Should be somewhere Sept-Oct range if all goes as planned.

Atlas

You guys make me so jealous! I just got into it with the laws, so it'll probably be a good year before I can make it, hopefully no more.