• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Winter weather in NH

Started by Russell Kanning, December 31, 2004, 02:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

We have only had a few inches of snow fall so far in Keene and it has been melting. Is this normal for NH?

jcpliberty

Yes and No. Depends on the year... should have been here LAST winter. OHBOY!

Lloyd Danforth

Jim is right.
I'm a 100 miles south of you and most winters the snow comes and goes.  Last winter it came, stayed and came some more!
You probably won't have to travel very far north or much higher in altitude to find snow all winter.
Lloyd

AlanM

You should have been here for the blizzard of 78. Now that was a year with some snow!!! Mass. got hit harder, but seacoast NH got 32" of snow in just over 24 hrs. from back to back storms. Believe Keene area got more, if I remember right.

Kat Kanning

I want to see a blizzard...when I'm safe at home ;-)  I just finished reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's book The Long Winter to my daughter.  I guess you don't get blizzards that often here.

jcpliberty

During a snowy winter, we get one per month or so, Blizzards that is - nothing like 1978 (wasnt alive, my dad gave me lots of pictures)

JP

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: AlanM on January 02, 2005, 10:08 AM NHFT
You should have been here for the blizzard of 78. Now that was a year with some snow!!! Mass. got hit harder, but seacoast NH got 32" of snow in just over 24 hrs. from back to back storms. Believe Keene area got more, if I remember right.

Many roads were shutdown for 3 days here in CT in '78.

AlanM

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 02, 2005, 10:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on January 02, 2005, 10:08 AM NHFT

Many roads were shutdown for 3 days here in CT in '78.

I know a former Mass. state policeman who never went home for 3 days. He spent the entire time finding people stuck in their cars on 495. 495 had thousands of people marrooned in their cars. People who lived along the highway invited people into their homes.

dawn

Russell - are you happy now with this beautiful snowstorm? Who's ready for some skiing??? I think I'll get to try out my x-cntry skis tomorrow. Hope it stays cold since we probably won't get a chance to hit the downhill slopes for about a week. Speaking of cold, we did get one day of ice skating in before it heated up. Hopefully it'll be all nice and solid again real soon - although now we'll have to shovel all that lovely snow off the ice!

Russell Kanning

You call this snow?  ;) .... in Utah or Wyoming this is a light dusting .... I can still see the cars  :P

John

PLEASE! ?Be extra careful about the ice. ?Its still a bit early in many places.
Ice should be at least 6 inches thick before going onto it.

jcpliberty

Quote from: John on January 07, 2005, 09:36 AM NHFT
PLEASE!  Be extra careful about the ice.  Its still a bit early in many places.
Ice should be at least 6 inches thick before going onto it.

I second that motion!!. I am a veteran ice fisher. (yeah yeah, even at age 20... like I said, my dad was coool  8) )

Six Inches of  Ice is a safe bet. It takes a few days of 32* and below to remain safest, we found.

JP

Russell Kanning

I have never been out on a frozen lake. I was going to wait until I saw a few pickups on the ice and icehuts. :)

jcpliberty

Quote from: russellkanning on January 07, 2005, 10:19 AM NHFT
I have never been out on a frozen lake. I was going to wait until I saw a few pickups on the ice and icehuts. :)

Good idea.

JP

Lori

Some people are not so smart regarding waiting for the ice to freeze solid:

An Antrim youth glides across the ice on his bike on Great Brook at the Antrim bandstand Sunday afternoon. There were spots of open water nearby where he and a friend were riding their bikes on the ice.

Someone needs to teach him the six inches or greater rule.   ;)  and I happen to know that he grew up here in NH.

Oh, by the way, I am Scott's wife, in case you wondered where I popped up from.   ::)

Enjoy the snow.

Lori