• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manchester "crime wave"

Started by KBCraig, July 30, 2006, 02:32 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

I know the folks in Manchester are alarmed --as they should be-- by the recent spate of violence. Random shootings, deliberate shootings, neighborhood fights... those are things that should concern anyone living there.

But, I had to chuckle when I put Manchester in perspective.

Manchester had a population of 110,000 in 2004. By contrast, my home state capitol of Little Rock had a population of about 183,000, some 66% larger.

According to a Union Leader article:

QuoteAfter going two years without a homicide, Manchester was the scene of four homicides in 2003, five (the most in a decade) in 2004, and four more last year.

The city has had only one homicide this year

Wow. No offense to the victims, but, meanwhile, Little Rock has had 38 murders so far this year.

You don't have to be a math whiz to know that 38 is a bit more than 66% more than 1. Or even four, or five (a record high for the decade).

So, continue to fight crime and its causes, but remember: NH is so much better than most states, that the current "crime wave" is almost cause for celebration.

Kevin

Pat K

Around midnight I went to get my map out of the car, in the parking lot of the hotel in Manchester. The desk clerk told me to be careful going out late, I just smiled and said thanks.

Lloyd Danforth

Hartford CT, 121K, can hardly get thru February without 4 murders.

aries

Dont forget manchester doesn't have any adjacent cities or densely populated suburbs.

Hartford has many
Little rock appears to have some on Google maps
Boston has tons

Urban Manchester is just the city proper and that's it

So there are no murder statistics for the "urban area" of Manchester, just Manchester

KBCraig

Quote from: aries on July 30, 2006, 09:22 AM NHFT
Dont forget manchester doesn't have any adjacent cities or densely populated suburbs.

True. But in Little Rock's case, those were all home-grown homicides, by and of city residents, within the city limits.

Just 35 miles from LR is Pine Bluff, a city of 22,000, which has had 17 murders this year. Worrisome, since two of my sons live next door in White Hall. But, even though White Hall and Pine Bluff are directly adjoining, it's like there's an invisible curtain between them. PB crimes stays in PB.

Kevin

FTL_Ian

It's clear the solution is to abolish concealed carry permits.

aries

Quote from: FTL_Ian on July 30, 2006, 12:16 PM NHFT

It's not as if they're particularly hard to get in New Hampshire or Arkansas anyway. I mailed my application to the town selectman's office with $10. They don't need the $10 either.

FTL_Ian

They may not be hard to get, but if you have to ask permission, you don't have a right.

KBCraig

Quote from: aries on July 30, 2006, 01:11 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on July 30, 2006, 12:16 PM NHFT

It's not as if they're particularly hard to get in New Hampshire or Arkansas anyway. I mailed my application to the town selectman's office with $10. They don't need the $10 either.

Arkansas is a bit more difficult. With the class and license fees, it costs about $250, every four years.  And there is a huge list of places off limit in Arkansas.

I agree that any permit system should be abolished. I subscribe to the Atlanta Declaration, myself.

Kevin

FTL_Ian

Quote from: KBCraig on July 30, 2006, 02:28 PM NHFT
I agree that any permit system should be abolished. I subscribe to the Atlanta Declaration, myself.

Kevin

What's that?

Lloyd Danforth

Let me see if Google has something on Atlanta Declaration.........

Lloyd Danforth

FTL_Ian

I guess I was looking for the executive summary.   :P

Lloyd Danforth

Revmar

Quote from: FTL_Ian on July 30, 2006, 01:34 PM NHFT
They may not be hard to get, but if you have to ask permission, you don't have a right.

Also, having to register just let's them know what addresses they can go to when they decide to take away the "permission".