• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Remote Start Installation

Started by FTL_Ian, September 12, 2006, 11:02 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

This is a feature we're very interested in acquiring for the Toyota.  Who would do this kind of work?  The car dealer?  Some custom accessories company?

Lex

I think you can get it done at both places you mentioned and you can also do it yourself.

slim

My dad had one installed in my mothers car and he had the installation at a car stereo installer

FTL_Ian

Quote from: slim on September 12, 2006, 12:47 PM NHFT
My dad had one installed in my mothers car and he had the installation at a car stereo installer

Any idea on the price?

Lex

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 12, 2006, 12:57 PM NHFT
Any idea on the price?

I think it can range significantly based on the model of your car, where you get it done, what remote starter you choose, etc. Maybe $500 total?

Have you read this: http://www.ehow.com/how_11214_buy-remote-start.html

slim

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 12, 2006, 12:57 PM NHFT

Any idea on the price?
I think the one we got was about $300 installed, I think that was a high-end model.

KBCraig

You do have an automatic transmission, right?

Remote starters are Obviously Bad Ideas for cars with manual transmissions. Dealers and reputable aftermarket shops won't install them, but they do occasionally show up in the used market.

I heard an episode of Car Talk, where someone had purchased a used car (with manual transmission) that had a remote starter. I don't think the owner even had the remote for it. But anyhoo, on an irregular but disturbingly frequent basis, their car would run into the house while parked overnight in the driveway. Click & Clack diagnosed it as a remote starter, that someone else's remote (or garage door opener, or whatever) was causing the car to start and run into things.

Kevin

slim

Quote from: KBCraig on September 12, 2006, 06:51 PM NHFT
You do have an automatic transmission, right?

Remote starters are Obviously Bad Ideas for cars with manual transmissions. Dealers and reputable aftermarket shops won't install them, but they do occasionally show up in the used market.

I heard an episode of Car Talk, where someone had purchased a used car (with manual transmission) that had a remote starter. I don't think the owner even had the remote for it. But anyhoo, on an irregular but disturbingly frequent basis, their car would run into the house while parked overnight in the driveway. Click & Clack diagnosed it as a remote starter, that someone else's remote (or garage door opener, or whatever) was causing the car to start and run into things.

Kevin
I can just see something like that happen where a person puts a car starter on a manual transmission and all of a sudden the neighbors get home press the button for their garage door and your car comes through the wall at you. :biglaugh:

Lloyd Danforth

One could be made with a neutral safety switch for standards.

FTL_Ian

Lloyd Danforth

Dreepa

Remote start:

Have Mark go out and start it 10 minutes before you want to leave.

Insurgent

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 12, 2006, 08:05 PM NHFT
I have a manual.   ???

I do, too. There really is no such thing as a remote-start for vehicles with proper transmissions--one of their only downfalls! If you're concerned about being able to start in the winter, I recommend a decent block heater; with this you're gauranteed to start and will have cabin heat within a few minutes. Your dealer should be able to install one of these.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Dreepa on September 12, 2006, 08:56 PM NHFT
Remote start:

Have Mark go out and start it 10 minutes before you want to leave.

That's what teenaged kids are for!  :D

Lloyd Danforth

Remote starters are cheaper than teenagers