• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Privacy for safety: "It's for the children!"

Started by KBCraig, October 09, 2006, 01:22 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Two articles in the Monday Union Leader. I truncated them here; follow the links for the whole sorry story.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Bus+bullies+caught+on+tape%3f+School+officials+trade+privacy+for+safety&articleId=9b932326-28f9-46d1-b0ab-224f4dcaf33c

Bus bullies caught on tape? School officials trade privacy for safety

By RILEY YATES
Union Leader Staff

MANCHESTER ? Big Brother could be coming to a school bus near you.

The school district is considering allowing permanent video cameras on buses, in an effort to maintain order and keep a record for disciplinary action.

"It's for the children's safety," said Dave Smith, the executive director of the Manchester Transit Authority. "The idea is to make sure that children are safe, whether they're in school or on the bus."
( . . . )
Katherine Labanaris, a Ward 5 school board member, said she is uncomfortable with the rise of video cameras in public places.
( . . . )
"It really is an invasion. It goes against my idea of privacy," Labanaris said. In this case, "safety on the bus trumps the privacy issue."

::)

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Derry%2c+Londonderry+use+cameras+just+in+case&articleId=173979ca-c8b1-45d3-9b6e-89e1f0f9ca98

Derry, Londonderry use cameras just in case

By JIM DEVINE
Union Leader Correspondent

Londonderry School District began installing surveillance cameras on buses before the school year started.

"Fortunately we haven't used them," Londonderry School District Finance Director Peter Curro said. "I think we did once just to see how it worked."

aries

All in preparation for when they put them on the streets.

Then attach microphones.

Why bother relating America to 1984 when England is so much scarier and so much more real?

Lex

For some reason being video taped in public doesn't disturb me that much.

Someone seeing you in public and remembering you vs. someone using a video camera to see you and remember you is only a technical difference. If you don't want to be seen and remembered don't go into public areas.

Of course I'm all for 100% private property and when we get there this will be a non issue since all property will be private property and the property owners will get to decide if they want cameras on their property or not.

FrankChodorov

Quotewhen we get there this will be a non issue since all property will be private property

and of course no natural law right of ways for people to move freely without being granted permission by either a gift or a payment.