• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wood Stove Operation

Started by Mark_FTL, October 14, 2006, 08:27 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

You need to have a wood stove vetran come over your house and show you how to use it.  When you buy wood make sure it is hard and very dry, it will burn much longer and hotter that way.

Russell Kanning

I am sure we can figure out how to roast you out of your house with a wood stove. :)

I get my wood for $140 green.
We used 5 cords up last year because of our bad insulation.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Mark_FTL on October 17, 2006, 08:04 PM NHFT
www.eheat.com

This is an amazing heater, from what they claim. And we are talking to them about a sponsorship of FTL. This is what I will be buying if I can't make the wood heater work.

KBCraig had some interesting observations about eheat:
http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=5614.msg98412#msg98412

MaineShark

Quote from: Mark_FTL on October 17, 2006, 07:20 PM NHFTBut I have no idea how I am going to check chimney temperature...

Go to the hardware store and ask for a flue pipe thermometer.  They make little magnetic ones that will stick right to the side of the flue pipe.  Not as accurate as a probe that goes into the center of the flue, but more than good enough for tinkering with a wood stove.  Most will have color-coded "zones" on them that will help you learn where to aim for, until you get more practiced.

Joe

slim

Mark I hope you swept the chimney out because if you do get a lot of creosote build up it can catch fire and you will have a chimney fire.

Russell Kanning

like these guys from florida are not freaked out enough already

KBCraig

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 10, 2006, 07:23 PM NHFT

This is the first time they've seen a fire that didn't have a pig roasting on it.  ;D

Pat McCotter

Quote from: slim on December 10, 2006, 02:13 PM NHFT
Mark I hope you swept the chimney out because if you do get a lot of creosote build up it can catch fire and you will have a chimney fire.

Don't forget that it will help Santa come down easier.

Lloyd Danforth

But, don't grease it, cause he can't get back up...............

and  then you would have a grease driven chimney fire ...........

with a burning old man in it.

slim

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 10, 2006, 07:23 PM NHFT
Well I don't want to scare them. The winter can be fun but you have to take some precautions.

mvpel

An electric heater is an electric heater, regardless of whether it has an oil-filled radiator, glowing elements, or whatever.  It's still 3,413 BTU per kilowatt-hour, which costs about 17 cents in New Hampshire at PSNH residential rates.  One gallon of propane (my lock-in for this winter was $2.09 per gallon) is equivalent to 27.9 kilowatt-hours, or $4.68, worth of electric heat - over twice as costly as propane.

error

Damn, that's some expensive electricity.

KBCraig

Quote from: mvpel on December 11, 2006, 12:27 PM NHFT
An electric heater is an electric heater, regardless of whether it has an oil-filled radiator, glowing elements, or whatever.

The electricity costs the same per BTU, but electric heaters don't necessarily produce the same BTUs to achieve the same comfort level.

Resistant heat forced hot air will put you in the poorhouse, while leaving you uncomfortable, dried out, and miserable. The oil-filled radiators produce a better "comfort level" at a lower temperature while using less electricity. And they won't dry you out.

Kevin

KBCraig

Quote from: error on December 11, 2006, 07:52 PM NHFT
Damn, that's some expensive electricity.

Yep, one of the highest rates in the country. They send all the NH electricity to Florida. That's why Pat K goes down there every December, to make an electricity delivery.  ;)

Russell Kanning

that is why mark is burning wood ... a NH pasttime