• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Lye making

Started by AlanM, October 15, 2006, 10:55 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

Found this simple way of making your own lye on The Gulch.

Build a V shaped hopper.put your hardwood ashes in it,and pour in water....the runoff will be lye.

Lloyd Danforth

Is it Potasium Hydroxide or Sodium Hydroxide? ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on October 15, 2006, 11:26 AM NHFT

Yes.  ;D

They're both lye, and can be used for making soap, lutefisk, or hominy.

Kevin

AlanM

Quote from: KBCraig on October 15, 2006, 12:05 PM NHFT

Yes.  ;D

Kevin

But what yo get from hardwood ash is mainly potassium hydroxide, though there is also some sodium hydroxide in it, so you could say 'yes' to the question, as Kevin did.  ;)

Pat K

Quote from: KBCraig on October 15, 2006, 12:05 PM NHFT

Yes.  ;D

Kevin

O-k will some one tell the city boy wtf lutefisk and hominy is?

FrankChodorov

oh sorry Alan...I thought this was another thread about the Bush admininstration and the Republican Party.

my bad - carry on!

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat K on October 15, 2006, 12:54 PM NHFT
O-k will some one tell the city boy wtf lutefisk and hominy is?

Hominy is dried corn that is rehydrated by soaking in lye. It's sometimes served as side dish alone, used in soups (menudo, for instance), or ground into meal to make grits.

Lutefisk is a nordic curiosity, where air-dried whitefish (usually cod) goes through a days-long process of soaking in cold water, then lye, then cold water again. I understand it has the consistency of jelly, and is something of an acquired taste. It's a folk food in Minnesota.

Pat K

Thank you and YUCK, think I will skip those dishes.

error

Oh, I love grits. And I'm afraid there won't be anybody in NH who knows what grits are...

KBCraig

Quote from: error on October 15, 2006, 07:15 PM NHFT
Oh, I love grits. And I'm afraid there won't be anybody in NH who knows what grits are...

Several have moved from Texas. Cathleen is from SC (Don, too?).

There will be plenty of grits afficianados before long. I'm not partial to them, but Mary loves good grits. She's picky about how they're cooked, though.

PinoX7

Quote from: error on October 15, 2006, 07:15 PM NHFT

they use to make us eat grits all the time in South Carolina, Parris Island

cathleeninnh

I worried about finding grits, but found them most grocery stores. No restaurants, though, and if you want any real hash browns you are SOL. They serve home fries with breakfast and if you order hash browns, you get those fried patties like McD's has.

The grits at the store are not always on the cereal aisle, but sometimes by the corn meal on the baking aisle.

Anything else?

Cathleen

Lloyd Danforth

cathleeninnh

I have never bought chitlins, but I have made them. Certainly not here. Maybe one day we will have a farm with hogs and I can make some youngster do it for me. I have already lived long enough to not mind the health effects from eating them.

Cathleen