• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A couple questions for residents..

Started by libertynow13, November 16, 2006, 12:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

libertynow13

I was curious what the weather and general temperature is like there in NH?

What are the smog laws like for cars? I enjoy drag racing as a hobby so naturally that's a concern to me.

Thanks guys.

aries

Theres no smog and drag racing is A-OK here I think. We have pretty unrestricted laws as far as cars and modifications go.

Weather varies from year to year, it is New England after all. Sometimes winter creeps up in september and by the end of October there are a few inches of snow on the ground. Sometimes it hits mid-February and lingers until June.

Temperatures before January are generally in the 10-20 range in the North and 20-30 in the south. There are days when it will hit 50.

After January it can dip down to the -20-0 range in the North and -10-15 range in the south. It generally does not go above freezing for weeks at a time most winters. I saw it hit -52, and say below -30 for over a week last winter. (I'm in the North)

Sometimes there are exceptions, etc, but you should expect it to rest around 40 and continue to drop about mid November (right now!) most years. It's been kind of warm lately, so, this winter so far hasnt been too warm.

Summer weather usually peaks around 90 degrees but can go up to the 100s. I've never seen over 105 in New Hampshire, thank GOD. I have seen 98 though.

The summer is around 2 months long of pure, swelling heat (It's humid), followed by month long periods of "beautiful weather" on either end, on and off, during late spring and early fall. Some years we skip spring and go right from winter into sweltering summer. It can be 70 degrees with snow still melting and 80 within a few days.

You can never, ever, predict the weather in New England. That's why meteorologists here are all comedians.

maineiac

Year round sunshine and 72?!

Actually, I believe there will generally be a wide range of conditions dependant upon longitude and seasons.

Currently on NH's Southern right flank, it's about 50? with rain and fog. The forecast is for more, with wind, then clearing and colder for the weekend.

Dreepa

Saturday was 65 degrees and nice.
This seems to be a pretty mild late autumn so far.
I think I have only seen frost once or twice.  (Mid NH)

mvpel

I was flabbergasted to find mosquitos in the leaves out back after having shut down the Mosquito Magnet nearly two months ago.

KurtDaBear

Quote from: mvpel on November 16, 2006, 11:36 AM NHFT
I was flabbergasted to find mosquitos in the leaves out back after having shut down the Mosquito Magnet nearly two months ago.
Do those things really work?  (One of the few things I really like about Calif. is the general scarcity of winged biting insects.)

Vote Tyler Stearns

New Hampshire's state bird - black flies. 

citizen_142002

What people have said all sounds about right. The good thing about NH is that you get 4 seasons, unless we skip one, and sometimes mud season counts as 5. But I think you get what I'm saying; the weather is always changing.

Frankly we avoid a lot of the crazy temperature extremes. I've seen it get to -30 in the south, but that's usually for one or two day in january. In the summer it can hit high 90s, but usually its in the 70s or 80s. Plus we don't have massive wildfires, major hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, or any of that really nasty stuff that you see in other parts of the world.

Dreepa

Quote from: KurtDaBear on November 16, 2006, 12:57 PM NHFT
Do those things really work?  (One of the few things I really like about Calif. is the general scarcity of winged biting insects.)
Yeah they really do.
It was an awesome purchase for me as my kids were being eaten alive.

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=3895.0

maineiac

Quote from: Dreepa on November 16, 2006, 04:22 PM NHFT
Quote from: KurtDaBear on November 16, 2006, 12:57 PM NHFT
Yeah they really do.
It was an awesome purchase for me as my kids were being eaten alive.

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=3895.0

I guess the proof's in the pudding, but there are some folks who say they only attract more flies!

Dreepa

Quote from: maineiac on November 16, 2006, 08:45 PM NHFT

I guess the proof's in the pudding, but there are some folks who say they only attract more flies!
When I moved to NH  (sept 05)  we had tons of flies.
Then May June... tons of mosquitos.
We bought then thing.... and we could go in the yard again.
We did not see flies in Sept... but yet I didn't see any in the magnet trap either.

mvpel

QuoteI guess the proof's in the pudding, but there are some folks who say they only attract more flies!

It is a "magnet," after all, so it's supposed to attract the bugs.

The trick is placing it properly given mosquito physiology and behaviour, the lay of the land, the density of CO2 vs. air, and the prevailing winds.

Blood-seeking insects detect elevated concentrations of CO2, and fly upwind into them to find their meal, and then once they're stuffed full, they have an easier time flying back to their breeding site.  CO2 is denser than air, so as it flows out of the device it flows not only downwind, but also downhill and close to the ground.

So if you position the device so that it is uphill and/or upwind from the breeding and resting grouds, but on the other side of your patio from them, they're going to fly up towards the magnet, and then find you sitting on your patio and start feasting on you instead of getting sucked into the net in the more distant magnet.

Vote Tyler Stearns

My husband always says it's mind over bugs.  He works outside all spring/summer/fall and rarely wears bug dope and we don't have any fancyschmancy bug attractor/killer things.  On the other hand, when I step outside I'm swarmed by black flies and must soak myself in DEET. 

For what it's worth...my father sticks a Bounce fabric softener sheet to the back of his neck and claims it keeps all stinging/biting bugs away.

mvpel

My dad has the same advantage of being malodorous to blood-sucking insects.  Unfortunately I didn't inherit that particular trait.

libertynow13

No smog. Awesome.  8)

Thanks for the good answers :)

I'm hoping to move to NH in the next year or so.