• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Radio Shack Clerk Demands ID for a $20.00 Return

Started by wolf, November 17, 2006, 09:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf

I really got into an argument with a radio shack clerk over his demand for ID to make a return of an item paid for with cash. Below is the letter I sent to radio shack's CEO

Julian Day
CEO, Radio Shack Corporation
Riverfront Campus World Headquarters
300 RadioShack Circle
Fort Worth, Texas 76102-1964

Re: Privacy and return policy

Dear Mr. Day

On November 14, 2006 at approximately 1:30 pm I attempted to return a box of coaxial cable to Radio Shack at the Honesdale, PA location (store# 01-2032). I presented the original receipt dated 11/7/2006 as is required by the return policy. The store clerk's name was John. John insisted that I produce identification which I refused to provide. I stated in part ? This is not Nazi Germany; there is no law that says I have to carry ID, let alone ?show my papers to anyone, even a police officer on demand.? Further there is nothing in your return policy saying ID is required to make a return. John then became belligerent and demanded several times that I produce ID which I again refused. John then threatened to call the police (I can't imagine what crime I perpetrated by my actions) and ordered me to leave the store without completing the return transaction.

John's actions in this incident are those of an officious  Nazi bureaucrat who demands ?papiere bitte?(papers please) of everyone they encounter; all John needs are jack boots and a black uniform with a swastika. I find this kind of behavior outrageous and unforgivable. As a privacy activist and ID refusenick it is a matter of principle with me to refuse all demands for ID, phone numbers, addresses or SSN's by anyone for any reason and conduct all my business anonymously and in cash.  If it is Radio Shack's policy to invade people's privacy by demanding ID for every transaction and logging that information in databases than you have lost a customer.

When I was in grammar school way back in the 50's and 60's we were taught that only totalitarian regimes such as The Soviet Union and Hitler's Germany required identity papers in order to travel and conduct everyday business. It saddens me to see my country go down the same road as Germany in the 1930's and devolve into an oppressive totalitarian, ?papers please? police state. Showing ID on demand is an act of submission and obedience to the corporate-government vermin that are so bent on knowing and controlling everything we think, do or say; I AM FREE, I SUBMIT TO NO ONE

There is a recent Supreme Court decision (Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, Humboldt County 542 U.S. 177 2004 )  that reaffirms the right of a person to refuse to produce an identification document upon demand of a police officer. A police officer can request but not demand to see an identification document. Absent probable cause to believe a crime has taken place, a police officer cannot arrest someone solely for refusal to ?show their papers?. If a police officer cannot legally compel one to ?show their papers? than clearly a sales clerk such as John has no legal basis what so ever to demand ID or refuse to complete a transaction due to lack thereof.

If it's Radio Shack's policy to require invasive ID demands, I will take my business elsewhere. As for the clerk John- he is an obnoxious person and should not have a job dealing with the public. If this letter brings no redress I intend to file a small claims action with the district magistrate.

Very truly pissed off

SeanSchade

So are you going back tomorrow to get a refund?  ;D

burnthebeautiful

The radio shack wanted to make sure you were who you said you were, to avoid giving away company money to the wrong person. I have no problem with showing ID to the private sector, I'm only annoyed by it when the government does it.

error

Please inform us if you get a response from Radio Shack.

I'd love another excuse to go out of my way not to do business with them.

error

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on November 17, 2006, 10:24 PM NHFT
The radio shack wanted to make sure you were who you said you were, to avoid giving away company money to the wrong person. I have no problem with showing ID to the private sector, I'm only annoyed by it when the government does it.

How could it be the "wrong" person?!? He paid in cash!

NC2NH

Radio Shack is notorious for being nosy about customer information.

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on November 17, 2006, 10:24 PM NHFT

A receipt is a bearer instrument for items purchased with cash. The identity of the person presenting it is irrelevant. I am disturbed by the trend of requiring ID when someone returns an item with the receipt.

burnthebeautiful

Kat Kanning

Is it possible they ask for ID to prevent people from making excessive numbers of returns?

SouthsideIrish

That's what they are doing. Make too many returns and they will eventually no longer let you return anything. At the store I work at I have had to tell people that this was the last item they will ever be able to return.

Bill McNair

Tom Sawyer

When I worked for my brother in law at Radio Shack their policy was to do refunds even without the receipt if the customer asked repeatedly.

Quantrill

Lots of companies ask for all kinds of info, even if you pay in cash.  They want to know who is buying/returning merchandise, as well as where their customers live so they can determine if they need to open a new store somewhere.  Just today I bought some clothes and the lady asked for my phone number.  I said I don't give that out and she acted shocked.    :-\d

I guess most people are totally comfortable with giving complete strangers their personal information.  Personally, I don't like it...
:protest:

KBCraig

Quote from: Quantrill on November 18, 2006, 06:00 PM NHFT
Just today I bought some clothes and the lady asked for my phone number.  I said I don't give that out and she acted shocked.

Radio Shack used to want a phone number for all sales. Lots of people raised hell, and they changed the policy.

When the local Toys-R-Us was fairly new, the clerk wanted my phone number. I said, "It's private." She was puzzled. "But I need to put it in the system!"

I told her, "Fine, put your own number in. I don't give mine out."

"But... I can't do that!"

"Okay, have a nice day!"  And then I walked out and left about a hundred bucks' worth merchandise sitting on the counter.

That wasn't really their policy, and the employees did learn better with time. The general manager lived across the street from me, although I never mentioned it to him.

Kevin

error

Quote from: Quantrill on November 18, 2006, 06:00 PM NHFT
Just today I bought some clothes and the lady asked for my phone number.  I said I don't give that out and she acted shocked.

Maybe she wanted to ask you out?

wolf

When a store clerk asks me for my zip code, I say "I am a homeless person". once I told them 90210

error

Fake info to give to privacy-disrespecting businesses:

Address: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
City: Washington, D.C.
Zip code: 20500
Phone number: 202-456-1414