• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Internal checkpoints annoy Vermonters

Started by error, December 20, 2006, 03:34 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

maineiac

Quote from: maineiac on December 23, 2006, 09:58 AM NHFT
Quote from: malevil on December 23, 2006, 06:47 AM NHFT
They have a border patrol road block in the southbound lane of I-93 around Exit 31 (between Lincoln and Thornton) every year during motorcycle week (around father's day).  I've been stopped and they ask questions like "Are you a U.S. citizen," "where are you traveling to."  And they take the opportunity to peer into your car and look around.  I'm curious how many arrests/detainments they actually make from these?

Dude,

Did they demand to see "your papers," or was it just those questions (which is bad enough anyway)?

I'm still curious to learn the answer to this question. Malevil, are you there?

KurtDaBear

Quote from: fsp-ohio on December 25, 2006, 09:25 PM NHFT
Ohio does in state roadblocks.  Supposebly to check for insurance, alcohol, licence, ect. 
I've never gone through one, but I hear about one locally once or twice a year.  It probably happens more than that, I just don't hear about them.

We have those all over the place in Calif. also.  The pretext is that they're DUI (Driving Under the Influence) checkpoints.  My informal survey over the past two years shows that the average "DUI Checkpoint" stops approx. 1,500 citizens and results in one drunk driving arrest.  Usually, however, about 50 other people are arrested or have their vehicles impounded for all sorts of other things.  Obviously, the DUI thing is just a pretext for public stop-and-frisk operations by local goon squads.

My city (Fairfield, CA) is currently being sued by a guy who made a U-turn to get out of one of these things, then was chased down by police.  After he repeatedly rejected their requests to search his car, they arrested him on suspicion of DUI, then searched his car.  All charges were later dropped, and now he's suing for false arrest and violation of his civil rights.

Vote Tyler Stearns

Quote from: maineiac on December 26, 2006, 09:52 AM NHFT
Quote from: maineiac on December 23, 2006, 09:58 AM NHFT
Quote from: malevil on December 23, 2006, 06:47 AM NHFT
They have a border patrol road block in the southbound lane of I-93 around Exit 31 (between Lincoln and Thornton) every year during motorcycle week (around father's day).  I've been stopped and they ask questions like "Are you a U.S. citizen," "where are you traveling to."  And they take the opportunity to peer into your car and look around.  I'm curious how many arrests/detainments they actually make from these?

Dude,

Did they demand to see "your papers," or was it just those questions (which is bad enough anyway)?

I'm still curious to learn the answer to this question. Malevil, are you there?

Sorry Maineiac....been out of commission with the flu.  No, they did not demand to see my papers, but, like I said, I have NH plates...and my new-millenium-June-Cleaver-meets-soccer-mom looks probably don't arouse any suspicion >:D

Russell Kanning

Quote from: KurtDaBear on December 26, 2006, 10:59 AM NHFTAll charges were later dropped, and now he's suing for false arrest and violation of his civil rights.

I'm sure that will work out well. ::)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: malevil on December 27, 2006, 08:35 AM NHFTand my new-millenium-June-Cleaver-meets-soccer-mom looks probably don't arouse any suspicion >:D
In CA those are the folks that they like to pull over and ticket ... since you probably will not shoot the cops down.

KurtDaBear

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 27, 2006, 02:58 PM NHFT
I'm sure that will work out well. ::)
Right.  Sarcasm is noted.  The city has asserted its officers did nothing wrong and that it will vigorously defend itself.  Meanwhile, the poor sucker who was arrested on apparently groundless charges has spent a night in jail, had his car impounded, (which I know from experience runs a minimum of about $300 here), probably missed some work and has had to spring for two lawyers, one on the DUI charge and one for the suit.   Even if he wins, he'll be lucky to break even.

On the other hand, just on the off chance that he were to get a decent settlement, it could encourage others in the populace to be less passive about these stop-and-frisk operations. 

Russell Kanning

He paid for lawyers and still lost ... what a waste of money.

Michael Fisher

They had one of these checkpoints in Utah recently.

Those who attempted to change directions or drive past it were chased down and ticketed. 50% of people driving through received tickets that night.  :o

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 27, 2006, 11:12 PM NHFT

More of Russell's simple yet brilliant wisdom.

KurtDaBear

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 27, 2006, 11:12 PM NHFT
Well, he's won one (getting the original charges dropped) , and one is pending.  The average self-agrandizing prosecutor does not just drop a charge, no matter how flimsy, if the victim does not put up some resistance.  That means either this guy or his lawyer put up a good enough defense to make the charges go away, which then created the foundation for the false-arrest suit, which is pending.  (Also, the false-arrest suit is probably being done on a contingency basis, which costs him nothing if he loses.)