• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Dentist ???

Started by Raineyrocks, January 30, 2007, 09:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

I have to get some dental work done but a dentist in Plymouth wants to charge $10,400.00 (2 permanent bridges for some of my back molars, fillings and 1 extraction) does that seem too high?  For the partials (bridges) he wants $7,000, does that sound right?

???

Vote Tyler Stearns

Get a second/third opinion.  It seems like dentists have become salesmen.  It's all about upselling.  Who gave you this estimate, Rainey?

Raineyrocks

Quote from: malevil on January 30, 2007, 12:47 PM NHFT
Get a second/third opinion.  It seems like dentists have become salesmen.  It's all about upselling.  Who gave you this estimate, Rainey?

Hi Malevil! :D,  I'm glad you read this I was thinking of emailing you about it.  Dr. Messinger in Plymouth.  The only problem with getting other opinions are the prices of "new patient" fees, and what if they give me the same price Messinger did?  Then I'd be out a couple of hundred dollars.  I was thinking of calling other dentists from the Yellow Pages and asking them if they could give me their price ranges.  I'd rather get a personal referral from someone that has a fair, honest affordable dentist.
I want to make sure that I'm not being taken here.  On my first visit which I had a coupon for $40, included panaramic x-rays, bite wings, and exam so that was a great price.  Then they took me into the office and pre-approved me for a loan and coincidentally (dentally, ha, ha, get it?), I approved for the amount their work will cost. :-\

Raineyrocks

Oh yeah, I checked into Rick's dental plan we could get from his job and it is $40 a month with a $1000 maximum payout for the year which isn't even worth it.  I've been online all day trying to find one of those dental plans that take percentages of dental fees off of the final bill but it keeps saying that there are no plans available for New Hampshire. :(

Vote Tyler Stearns

Beth221

I am a dental assistant, In Rhode Island, so I may be able to help.  Does your dentist accept insurance?  Because that makes a difference, if they pay in a fee schedule or not.  A bridge usually covers over 2 teeth and fills the space of a missing tooth.  Its like a crown on each side of a missing tooth.  Do the teeth that need the bridge need root canal therapy?  Have you tried a partial denture?

There are three basic types of tooth replacement
Implants, the top and very best replacement, if you have money, and have the right formation of bone to accept implants
bridges, not removeable, gets perminently cemented into place, anchor teeth and a replacement tooth
partial denture, removeable appliance, the cheep way out, if you dont mind puttin your teeth in a glass at night

are both bridges on the top or the bottem??  pm me and i can get into more details.

do the bridge teeth need restorations, do they have prior restorations on them like a filling or cap/crown?  if they do not, then, dont cut down good virgin teeth for a bridge.  fill me in on the details, because that does sound high priced.  its usually 3 grand per 3 unit bridge.  an extraction, which my office refers for ORAL surgeons (because thats all they do, spectialy offices are real good) runs about 2-300 Hundred per tooth.  who does the tooth need to be extraced?  carries? bad filling? bad root? infection? wisdom tooth? prior root canal that failed?  does it need a A&R? which can be pricy, but id do it rather than an extraction. 

PM me, because i have WAY more info..  plus this is keeping my mind off me broken bum, hehe fractured tailbone..  Beth

Raineyrocks

Hi Beth,

I hope you are okay!  Thanks for offering the advice, I really need it.  I'll pm you now and if your not up to answering don't worry about it.

PM coming in a few!  ;D

Dan

Does this count as un-licensed tele-dentistry advice?
b)

toowm

Didn't we pass a law last year allowing dental hygienists to practice without being associated with a dentist? I know it won't help your issue but I would like to get cleanings for the family. Where can I find a list of independent hygienists?

Beth221

i am an assistant, and i work along with the hygienists, and the doctors, and the hygienists are not trained to spot problems potentially starting, they are trained to spot big things, and only a dentists can make a diagnosis.  if they do see something, by law they can only suggest you to see the dentist for an exam.  check the ADA website. 

aries

Quote from: toowm on January 30, 2007, 05:21 PM NHFT
Didn't we pass a law last year allowing dental hygienists to practice without being associated with a dentist? I know it won't help your issue but I would like to get cleanings for the family. Where can I find a list of independent hygienists?

That bill failed to pass.

aries

That estimate sounds way too high... I had wisdom teeth removed this much for way, WAY less than that. I dont know how similar the procedures are, but I doubt that an oral surgeon's 1-hour appointment with assistants can cost that much less than a dentist.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: aries on January 30, 2007, 07:36 PM NHFT
That estimate sounds way too high... I had wisdom teeth removed this much for way, WAY less than that. I dont know how similar the procedures are, but I doubt that an oral surgeon's 1-hour appointment with assistants can cost that much less than a dentist.

Thanks Aries, I think it's to high also!  I'm going to shop around, this loan thing was causing me great stress. :)

aries

If you look further south, maybe call some places in Concord, you may find more competetive rates

Vote Tyler Stearns

I also suggested Rainey look north - everything seems to be less expensive up north. 
BTW - Lancaster is about 1-1.25 hour drive for you Rainey.  I can make it in 1 hour, but I drive like Mario Andretti. 

And...please...one of you come on Friday.  If you want, I'll pick you up.   

Hope everyone gets better soon.  This cold thing has sucked.