• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Moose Tax" slips through legislature

Started by KBCraig, April 01, 2005, 11:09 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

From today's Berlin Daily Sun:

http://www.berlindailysun.com

Concord passes Moose tax
Local officials charge measure secretly added to budget

Natasha Anne Boris

? One of the region?s favorite tourist activities will soon be taxed. Desperate for revenue, the state legislature has quietly passed a bill that will impose a $10 daily fee on moose watching on Success Loop Road and Route 16 through the Thirteen Mile Woods.

The fee will be in effect from Memorial Day though Veterans Day when the big ungainly animals are their most active along roadsides.

State Revenue Commissioner Bill W. Inkle said temporary toll booths will be installed at the southern entrances to both roads to collect the fee.

News of the moose tax infuriated local officials who charged the tax was secretly added as a footnote to the budget bill. Most North Country representatives who voted for the budget claimed they were not aware the measure contained the moose tax.

?This is the most underhanded thing I have ever seen in my twenty plus years in Concord,? said Rep. Sly Hand. ?Pretty soon this state will be taxing spit?.

Tourism officials said the moose tax will hurt the region?s growing reputation as a prime moose watching area. They called the tax counterproductive to efforts to promote the Great North Woods.

?On one hand we?re advertising to get people to come here and see our wildlife. Then, once they?re here, we hit them with a tax. Stupid is not the word to describe this tax,? said Chamber of Commerce head Sharon Nickel.
Rocky Charest, founder of the Androscoggin Valley Moose Tours, announced the organization will refuse to pay the tax and will force a court battle over the issue.

?Remember it was a tax on tea that lead this country to break away from England. We need a new revolution today to take back state government,? he proclaimed.

Others questioned how the state will separate people traveling the two roads on routine business from those specifically there to watch moose. Commissioner Inkle said to a large extent the toll booths will operate on the honor system. He said he expects most people will be honest when asked if they are moose watching. But there will be stiff penalties for those caught watching moose without paying the tax.

A first violation will earn a $100 fine. Repeated violations will require the violator to spend time shoveling moose poop from the roadsides.

Annual passes will also be sold for a fee of $100. A bottle of moose scent will be included with each annual pass sold.

Oh, and that is today's edition. Friday, April 1, 2005.  ;D

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Quote from: KBCraig on April 01, 2005, 11:09 AM NHFT
?This is the most underhanded thing I have ever seen in my twenty plus years in Concord,? said Rep. Sly Hand. ?Pretty soon this state will be taxing spit?.

Rep. Sly Hand?

April Fools, right?

Michael Fisher

?Ten items or less? violator executed
By F. Russ Trated

GORHAM? A man who violated a ?10 items or less? check-out line restriction was executed yesterday in a public hanging on the Gorham town common.

------

Damn...  I'm not visiting that town anytime soon.

Russell Kanning

They had me going for the first sentence or two. :-[ ;D

Russell Kanning

Pat K

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on April 01, 2005, 11:15 AM NHFT
?Ten items or less? violator executed
By F. Russ Trated

GORHAM? A man who violated a ?10 items or less? check-out line restriction was executed yesterday in a public hanging on the Gorham town common.

------

Damn...? I'm not visiting that town anytime soon.

I have to admit when I see someone with 20 item's in the 10 or less line in fron't of me, execution does pop into my head.

Dreepa

Dave Ridley

Well it should be fairly easy for the north country folks to tear down the booths on moonless nights.

KBCraig

When I read it this morning, I first felt my blood boil with outrage, until I noticed the names. Shovelling moose poop was a dead giveaway!

Mrs. Craig was completely taken in, ready to declare there was no way in hell we were moving there, until she got to the "express lane execution". And Ashlee Simpson "singing" at the Gorham prom sent her into a giggling fit!

On reflection, I was impressed that the overall editorial tone was one of support for tax revolt. It makes me think we've chosen wisely when we picked the north country for our eventual move.  :)

Kevin

KBCraig

And another thing...

Gorham is the prissy town of the north country. They have an ordinance banning dogs from the town common at all times. They're not about to allow it to be soiled by an execution!

Kevin

Russell Kanning

Some of us expect such craziness from the government....this one fooled us. :)