• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Calendar/Todo/Personal Information Manager Application

Started by Lex, March 21, 2007, 06:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex

I'm currently working on a calendar, todo and personal information manager application. I have most of the calendering parts done and am working on the todo parts.

In any case, I am wondering if anyone else has been looking for that powerful yet simple all in one calendar/todo list/pim/task tracker and even budgeting once I get to it.

So, what is different about my application compared to all the other ones out there?

There will be no data entry in the software. All of the "data" will be stored in a human editable text file. The purpose of the program will be to parse this text file and then present a view of the data as either a webpage (this is the part I have done so far) or a text based terminal print out.

Here are some example of what you may find in the text file:

1/month/2/mon 19:00-21:00 Fire Dept. Meeting
1/month/2/mon>thu 19:00-21:00 Fire Dept. Work Detail
1/month/4/wed 19:00-21:00 Ambulance Meeting
1/month/4/thu 19:00-21:00 PySIG Meeting
1/week/sun 10:00-18:00 K9 SAR Training
1/week/tue 18:00-20:00 Wilderness Medicine
1/week/wed,sun 8:00-16:00 Town Dump

These are all recurring events. In fact, the second one day "Fire Dept. Work Detail" is something no other calendaring tool supports and is also the reason I even bothered to invest so much time into writing something like this. The reason is that I have fire dept. meeting every monday and then we always have a work detail on the thursday of the same week. With traditional calendaring tools (Outlook, Evolution, etc) you would define "Every month on the second Monday." for the fire dept. meetings and then "Every month on the second Thursday." for the work detail. Unfortunately this fails on months that start after a monday but before a thursday because then you reach the second thursday a week before the second monday, which is incorrect. So, to make a long story short, I have added a feature where you can make a recurring day occur on the same week as some other recurring weekday. The Fire Dept Work Detail event then reads as follows: Every month on a Thursday of the same week as the second Monday.

If someone is interesting in using this calendar and has their own unique calendaring problem I would be more than happy to add some syntax to th event definitions to allow just about any type of recurring event imaginable :-)

At present this script only works in Linux so you'd have to be using linux to help me out.

This program will always be open source and by helping me out early in the game you will have much more impact on how it develops and thus closer suited to your own needs (although it'll scratch my itch first and formost :-)

Screenshot: http://eukreign.net/Screenshot-2.jpg

If you don't need a full featured calendar but would like to improve your todo list check out todotxt, it is actually the inspiration for what i've been working on: http://todotxt.com

Dave Ridley

hmm...when this is done i may want to give it a try

Lex

Quote from: DadaOrwell on March 21, 2007, 08:23 PM NHFT

Would you be willing to try it under Linux or would you be waiting until/if it is available for Windows?

error

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on March 21, 2007, 08:48 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on March 21, 2007, 08:23 PM NHFT

Would you be willing to try it under Linux or would you be waiting until/if it is available for Windows?

I already have calendaring, todo and personal information management. It does my email too. And forums and chat and ...

Lex

Quote from: error on March 21, 2007, 09:19 PM NHFT
I already have calendaring, todo and personal information management. It does my email too. And forums and chat and ...

Will it do this recurring event: The Thursday after the second Monday.

Didn't think so!  ;D

error

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on March 21, 2007, 10:11 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on March 21, 2007, 09:19 PM NHFT

Will it do this recurring event: The Thursday after the second Monday.

I don't remember if it does or not. I'll check into it and get back to you.

Lex

aries

Pretty interesting. When it's somewhat complete I'd love to take a look at the web interface for it. I spent forever looking for a nice desktop client that would manage stuff like this but since I use different computers throughout the day, it just never seemed to work. Will allow editing/adding entries via the web? When I was working with a flat file database I found that to be a challenge but I did manage to do it.

I'm currently wrapping up the first version of a BBS script I've been writing, similar to the futaba imageboard.