• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Isn't this neat, we have a new "War Czar"

Started by Caleb, May 15, 2007, 11:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

The U.S. Department of Agriculture can kiss my ass.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: raineyrocks on May 16, 2007, 02:47 PM NHFT

I just had a neat thought, (to me anyway).  You know the way a lot of people are looking for new technology, faster, quicker, blah, blah?
Wouldn't it be neat if a whole bunch of people went backwards instead of forward or present?
Nobody's stopping you.

firecracker joe

when in the world arre we going to get a peace czar.I have a hard time believing that grown men and women can't just get along!

powerchuter

"We" don't need any "czars"....for any purpose whatsoever...

What we do need is people to take responsibility for themselves and their actions...
And to follow the Non-Aggression Principle and the Golden Rule!

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 16, 2007, 10:33 PM NHFT

I just had a neat thought, (to me anyway).  You know the way a lot of people are looking for new technology, faster, quicker, blah, blah?
Wouldn't it be neat if a whole bunch of people went backwards instead of forward or present?
Nobody's stopping you.

Rick would. I'm lucky he let us get rid of the microwave.  He says I'm probably the only one still driving around listening to Captain & Tennille and the Bee Gees. ::)

Russell Kanning

you really are getting back to nature .... 8 track and all. :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 17, 2007, 07:59 AM NHFT
you really are getting back to nature .... 8 track and all. :)

Ha, ha.  I never said I'd get rid of my music, no way!   :D

dalebert

Quote from: wholetthedogin? on May 17, 2007, 05:39 AM NHFT
Just proves that Bush has completely lost his mind. Has he been tested for Alzheimer's disease?

No he hasn't. It's part of his evasionary tactics. This position would more accurately be called a Blame Czar. The "decisions" will come out of his mouth and he'll wave his hands a lot and shout "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

dalebert

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on May 16, 2007, 04:53 PM NHFT
Quakers are a religious group, who live, like the rest of us,  all over the U.S. and are involved, consistently, in the anti-war movement.

I don't know too much about them, but what I've heard makes them sound really cool.

jaqeboy

Quote from: dalebert on May 17, 2007, 08:40 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on May 16, 2007, 04:53 PM NHFT
Quakers are a religious group, who live, like the rest of us,  all over the U.S. and are involved, consistently, in the anti-war movement.

I don't know too much about them, but what I've heard makes them sound really cool.

Quakers, or "Friends" (their real name) are really cool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers). There are meeting houses nearby in Jaffrey, Henniker, Dover and Cambridge, Mass (others, too: http://www.quaker.org/meetings.html#NH). The people protesting the war every day of the week in front of the State House in Concord are Quakers. The elements that became the Religious Society of Friends were sometimes called seekers, hence the current group by that name in New-Hampshire (presence at PorcFest every year).

Friends fought some early battles in the modern freedom movement because of their beliefs, winning the right to not swear in court, not doff their hats to people of higher rank (they acknowledged no such), religious tolerance (it's hard to remember that before ~1690, multiple religious denominations were not tolerated in liberal England). Conscientious objection to serving in war is a Friends' position and it is respected here by being included as a civil right under the 1784 New-Hampshire Constitution's Bill of Rights, Article 13.

[Art.] 13. [Conscientious Objectors not Compelled to Bear Arms.] No person, who is conscientiously scrupulous about the lawfulness of bearing arms, shall be compelled thereto.

June 2, 1784

Amended 1964 by striking out reference to buying one's way out of military service.

Friends took an early stand against slavery, and have testimonies on equality, integrity and simplicity. They take a different approach to a lot of things and speak a little differently because of their viewpoint, which is a little disarming sometimes. They use "questionings" to encourage the inner development and are liberal in that there are nontheist Friends and Jewish Friends (!?), even though they began as a Christian denomination that had just devolved into the minimalist form during the Reformation. There was one more minimalist approach, called Antinomianism, but I don't think that has an actual surviving form (ie meeting or "church") - they are often considered anarchists(!) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinomianism) - This article says it's an descriptor, not an actual group of practitioners with a church - Brinton (below) refers to them as a group during the days of the formation of the Friends.

A good basic book on Quakers is Brinton, _Friends for 350 years_: http://www.quakerbooks.org/friends_for_350_years.php

Dreepa

dalebert

Quote from: jaqeboy on May 17, 2007, 01:00 PM NHFT
Quakers, or "Friends" (their real name) are really cool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers).

OK, that summary you just gave and the fact that they attend PorcFest just made me like them even more.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: raineyrocks on May 17, 2007, 07:28 AM NHFT

Nobody's stopping you.

Rick would. I'm lucky he let us get rid of the microwave.  He says I'm probably the only one still driving around listening to Captain & Tennille and the Bee Gees. ::)

Yeah!!! When I was in New Orleans some years ago a friend and I had been in a bar for a couple hours when the waitress asked for cover for the band. We paid and found it was Captain and Tenille. A great night was had by all.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 17, 2007, 05:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on May 17, 2007, 07:28 AM NHFT

Nobody's stopping you.

Yeah!!! When I was in New Orleans some years ago a friend and I had been in a bar for a couple hours when the waitress asked for cover for the band. We paid and found it was Captain and Tenille. A great night was had by all.

Oh wow, that is so neat!  Did they still sound great?  I think they are so cute together. :D

jaqeboy

Quote from: Dreepa on May 17, 2007, 03:21 PM NHFT
I got married in a Quaker meeting house.

Wow, cool Dreep! I gotta try that... maybe it would stick better then!  ;D