• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Concord to use Eminent Domain to steal home of elderly couple

Started by d_goddard, May 19, 2007, 01:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070519/REPOSITORY/705190328

QuoteMorton and Carolyn Tuttle. Their home at 257 Pleasant St. sits at the point where the new road will intersect with Pleasant Street. After years of negotiating with the Tuttles to find a place to move the home, the city last month started the formal process of taking the property by eminent domain.
The Cape Cod house, which has been owned by the family since 1935, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Morton Tuttle's father, Don, was a pioneer of winter tourism in New Hampshire and editor of the popular promotional magazine the New Hampshire Troubadour.

Conditions laid out between the city and the Tuttles, and from the Division of Historical Resources, require that the lot be comparable in size to the Tuttles' half acre, include city water and sewer, allow for the Tuttles' sun room to face south and be an appropriate setting. Since the late 1990s, the city has looked at and ruled out 19 lots.

In 2002 the city paid $95,000 for a lot at 12 Gabby Lane in the South End near the Bow town line intended for the house. The Tuttles however, want to stay in the West End, where both were raised. The city hasn't been able to find an alternative in that neighborhood.

The city issued a declaration of taking April 12, which starts the process of eminent domain. Attorney Tupper Kinder, who represents the city in the Army Corps case and now in the eminent domain procedures, said the city essentially owns the property now and could move the house on or after July 9.

To add injury to insult, the road that they're building which caused the land to be stolen in the first place, is running $1 Million over budget.

God, I love government.  ::)

David

The more money overbudjet the better.  It is the only way to hurt them.  I know the fiscal conservatives will not like that statement. 
But gov't taxes what they can get away with, then spend the money and find ways to spend it when they have surpluses.  They do not, contrary to popular opinion, tax only what they need to pay the 'bills'.  gov'ts that hemorrhage cash are gov'ts that cannot needlessly violate our rights.   

Pat McCotter

Don't look now but Phase III will be here before you know it. Using your favoritest aerial image website look at the area from the current Langley Parkway in Concord going northeast to Penacook Rd. The Class V road you see there is the planned route.

This entire project (Phase I was the current Langley Pkwy at the hospital, phase II connects Clinton St to Pleasant St) is known as the Northwest Bypass. It is planned as a way to move cross-city traffic off local streets.

Dreepa

Denis... you live right near there... do you think you can talk to them and see if they want help?
Maybe Dada's plan can spring into action?

Dave Ridley

i still haven't gotten around to calling them but did just find their number and wrote it down.

lildog

Quote from: David on May 19, 2007, 02:14 PM NHFT
The more money overbudjet the better.  It is the only way to hurt them.  I know the fiscal conservatives will not like that statement. 
But gov't taxes what they can get away with, then spend the money and find ways to spend it when they have surpluses.  They do not, contrary to popular opinion, tax only what they need to pay the 'bills'.  gov'ts that hemorrhage cash are gov'ts that cannot needlessly violate our rights. 

The only one it's hurting is the tax payers.  "Government" doesn't care if it spends $50 or $100... to the "Government" it's all "free money".

lildog

In reading this over it sounds as if the town is going to pick their home up and move it and force them to live with the new location or take $220,000 as a selling price.  But if they choose to keep their home they get nothing other then the fact they were picked up and moved.  Is this right?

Fluff and Stuff

But it does sound like the road will help traffic in Concord.  I figure traffic may get real bad by 2010 once a ton of FSP members are in NH and always going to Concord.

Dreepa

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on May 21, 2007, 11:32 PM NHFT
But it does sound like the road will help traffic in Concord.  I figure traffic may get real bad by 2010 once a ton of FSP members are in NH and always going to Concord.

Key word there sound.

I think that the route now is maybe a mile to Fruit street.  I have to drive there about once a week... I have never thought it was a hardship to drive to fruit street..... esp not for $7M dollars.

Dave Ridley

made a second call and still no answer or voice machine

Dave Ridley

made a third call still no answer.  must have wrong number

Dave Ridley

they live at 257 Pleasant St.

would someone in concord be willing to mail them or drop by their house and leave them this note? i'm having printer problems.

-----

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Tuttle:

My name is Dave Ridley and I'm from the libertarian organization NHfree.com.  We have a few hundred members around the state and some of us would like to know how we can help you with your fight against the city.  I tried to call you a few times but had no luck; perhaps I have an obsolete number.   If you like, give me a ring at 721 1490

Their attempt to punish you for defending yourself really got me interested in joining your fight somehow.  Best wishes for success against the authorities.

Dave

Kat Kanning